Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Drop shot advice #12637149 02/20/18 03:01 PM
K
kirbydog Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
I've always struggled with this technique. I've learned to move the bait not the sinker, I've learned not to "overwork" the bait. Usually I try it for an hour or so then go on to something else. Maybe I need to fish it for a whole day and not fish anything else.

Any advice? I have caught fish on a drop but other techniques seem to work better for me.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12637155 02/20/18 03:04 PM
W
WinnsboroBassBuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Combine the drop and the Ohio or Carolina rig to see if they are biting near the bottom or up off the bottom.

I learned reading Jay Yelas talking about it

Original drop shot with light flouro and small hooks is best but Hank Parker has talked about the need to switch to heavier line and larger hooks in tight cover.

Hope this helps!

Remember, tournaments are won flippin/pitching (spring), cranking (summer) or with jigs (fall)

Plastic worm fishing is for the weekend anglers!

Last edited by WinnsboroBassBuster; 02/20/18 03:07 PM.
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12637203 02/20/18 03:32 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Keep fishing it. You gotta be persistent. Shorten your leader and go throw it in shallow water around cover. It's not just an open water technique. A drop shot is a good bait this time of year in shallow water.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: bigbass94] #12637211 02/20/18 03:34 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Keep fishing it. You gotta be persistent. Shorten your leader and go throw it in shallow water around cover. It's not just an open water technique. A drop shot is a good bait this time of year in shallow water.
This. Made a big difference when I shortened it.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12637276 02/20/18 04:02 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
How and where are you fishing it. Give us more details so we can give you tips on how to fish it better. I drop shot quite a bit and have two drop shot rigs set up all the time. I fish it all year long and it works. I prefer to fish it on a bait caster rather than on spinning tackle. I have several go to colors in finesse worms that I use and you have to let the fish tell you how they want it on a given day. You need a rod with a light tip action so you can detect the slightest bites, but it also needs to have some backbone to it. I use 12 pound Invizx fluorocarbon with a 1/0 Owner rigging hook, Finch Nasty 1/4oz. drop shot weights and about 12 inches between the hook and the weight. I fish it anywhere I would a Tx. rig and also in the open when I see fish on the graph. On my second set up I use 15 pound test Invizx fluorocarbon line with a 1/0 Owner J hook and the same 1/4oz. weight but on that set up I rig it with a trick worm or a fluke. Some days the fish want it sitting still, some days they want a little shake to it. When I get bit reeling it back to the boat that usually tells me that they want it faster so I will be more aggressive fishing it.

Last edited by ezbassin; 02/20/18 04:03 PM.
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12637291 02/20/18 04:10 PM
K
kirbydog Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Good info-I'm using it as an open water, deep water technique for smallies and spots mostly. This time of year most all of my fish are deep-over 20 ft. I may be quilty of setting the hook too hard, need to learn more of a sweep setand just reel up on the fish.

I have gone to the rebarb hooks-these things are wicked sharp and have improved my hookup %.

Like every other way I've learned to fish, I need to devote more time to it.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: ezbassin] #12637301 02/20/18 04:12 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
How and where are you fishing it. Give us more details so we can give you tips on how to fish it better. I drop shot quite a bit and have two drop shot rigs set up all the time. I fish it all year long and it works. I prefer to fish it on a bait caster rather than on spinning tackle. I have several go to colors in finesse worms that I use and you have to let the fish tell you how they want it on a given day. You need a rod with a light tip action so you can detect the slightest bites, but it also needs to have some backbone to it. I use 12 pound Invizx fluorocarbon with a 1/0 Owner rigging hook, Finch Nasty 1/4oz. drop shot weights and about 12 inches between the hook and the weight. I fish it anywhere I would a Tx. rig and also in the open when I see fish on the graph. On my second set up I use 15 pound test Invizx fluorocarbon line with a 1/0 Owner J hook and the same 1/4oz. weight but on that set up I rig it with a trick worm or a fluke. Some days the fish want it sitting still, some days they want a little shake to it. When I get bit reeling it back to the boat that usually tells me that they want it faster so I will be more aggressive fishing it.

Sound advice right here! Exact ways I fish it as well. And normally a drop shot is in my hand about 80% of the time. Great technique for numbers and size.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12638117 02/20/18 11:41 PM
lucky55 Offline
Angler
Angler
I always throw a drop shot when taking break or retying, just laying it down in the boat. Catches fish quite often, I call them Skeeter fish since technically the boat caught them.

2021 SKEETER ZXR-21
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12638426 02/21/18 02:18 AM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Drop Shotting is my preferred technique for fishing. Watching a lot of the pro's doing it makes me more confident in the technique and it has been good for me. I would suggest to you to use 15 or 20lb braid with an 8 to 10lb floru leader. I use spinning, I'm right handed so having the rod in my dominant hand makes it easier to shake all day. Also.. I follow Erhler's advice on leader length.. the leader is long enough that when you are ready to cast, the knot used to join the leader to the braid is between the reel and the first guide on the rod. Having the leader that long means you can break off a few times before you have to re-rig the leader. I use an improved Albright knot to tie leader to braid.. works pretty well. Depending on what kind of water you are fishing, you can use a little heavier leader in brush but you will get more bites on smaller line.
Baits to use.. I use Zoom Finesse and Trick, Senko/Dingers, Roboworms. The color I like in Zoom is Houdini.. Watermelon/Red Senko/Dingers.. Morning Dawn, Aarons Magic Roboworms.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12638456 02/21/18 02:33 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Dont fish them fish dont like em.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12638492 02/21/18 02:59 AM
R
rscustomrods Offline
Angler
Angler
R
It is really one of the easiest ways to catch fish. As already posted, please tell us how and where you are fishing it so someone can help.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: Sinkey] #12638503 02/21/18 03:04 AM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Sinkey

Sound advice right here! Exact ways I fish it as well. And normally a drop shot is in my hand about 80% of the time. Great technique for numbers and size.

+2. Both of these guys know what they are doing. I will down size from time to time and use a #2 Gamakatsu drop shot hook on a little lighter line (8-10 lb). That's more so in open water. The last time I did it near a tree... well, there are no pictures of those fish.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: ezbassin] #12638606 02/21/18 04:21 AM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Would you mind sharing what rods you are using?
I really do not like spinning reels and prefer the bait casters.

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: Drop shot advice [Re: kirbydog] #12638653 02/21/18 05:36 AM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I use a Dobyns DX 702 HP spinning rod with a Shimano 2500 Stradic.
A Dobyns DX 702 Baitcaster with a Chronarch e6.

Re: Drop shot advice [Re: Sinkey] #12638678 02/21/18 07:01 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted By: Sinkey

Exactly what I do as well.....use tungsten skinny weight though

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide