Print Thread
Page 101 of 118 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 117 118
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12485326 10/31/17 07:55 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The original complex setup may have had that unit displaying the data from a transducer on another unit in the boat. In that case, I believe the Source selection in the unit settings is "Network". But, you don't have a network, so not getting any data to display.

Since you are setting up a basic system, why not return the unit settings to factory default? That will certainly change your sonar source selection to what you have - basic. "Restore factory (default) settings" does not uninstall unit updates. You should be able to find this in your manual. Download the pdf, and you can even search for keywords to keep from having to read as much.

You need to go into settings to insure that the data source is "This Unit". Without that, you'll get nowhere. After that, insure that the totalscan transducer has been detected (probably not). If not, look under "transducer" and select it. You should learn how to do this from your operator manual.

As to not wanting to read your manual, I will tell you that one of the best investments you can make is spend time reading your G3 manual cover to cover MORE THAN ONCE. I always do this with every new unit I get, and I often spend hours playing with the unit at home, or sitting in the boat in the garage. I go through every menu choice to look at the options and understand what they are for. Until this is done, any operator is going to experience periods of disgust with the unit, and is the primary reason for dissatisfaction with high tech electronics on fishing boats.....

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12485549 10/31/17 02:17 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
Lol, reading the manual isnt a problem. Comprehending it, thats the rub. While I found the process elsewhere on the web, I couldnt manage to find how to do a factory reset in the book.
Stir in codes instead of using plain language to describe the transducer drivers adds to the entertainment.
Part of the problem is me. I do technical writing (among other things) and have a unrelated lexicon to deal with.
Thanks,
ed

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: Ed-n-eddy] #12485687 10/31/17 03:24 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Ed-n-eddy
Alright, Jim Sr kind of shamed me into asking for some help. I picked up a used HDS12 Gen3, and bought a new Totalscan transducer. I'm very confident the PO was running a much more sophisticated setup that just a Totalscan transducer. The symptom is that the transducer and display aren't talking yet and the books don't help me much in describing what the system settings need to be to get me going. Reminds me of building my own computer before plug-and-play but without installation instructions.
I don't imagine this is a new question, but I'm getting older by the minute and reading a hundred pages of previous posts is going to take a lot of time. Sort of works against why we use sonar in the first place. If the answer is in an older post, let me know the number or who posted it, I think I can work with that. Otherwise, can someone help me work through the system settings I need?
Thanks all,
ed
Did you know you could go to the Lowrance website and click on support for help?They have techs that will help you.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12486779 11/01/17 01:59 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I imagine the problem is in the transducer installation setup selection. Pick the wrong transducer and it wont work properly.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: grout-scout] #12487151 11/01/17 11:25 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
grout-scout, I'm back again at least for a while.....already warned him to check that setting, but didn't hear if he did....

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: Flippin-Out] #12487309 11/01/17 01:23 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
grout-scout, I'm back again at least for a while.....already warned him to check that setting, but didn't hear if he did....

Yes sir, someone should prob give him very direct instructions on how to find that menu though. Someone that just turns the graph on & off will never figure it out.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12490214 11/03/17 05:44 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
na, don't worry about it.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12500493 11/12/17 01:06 AM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Had a two month old HDS 9 gen 3 just up and quit this morning. Running across the lake and just blacked out. Hooked it up to another boat and a display at West Marine and it still wouldnt fire up so I know its not my electrical system. Anybody else had this happen?

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12510516 11/20/17 06:48 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
All right, I thinking its time to upgrade. I am currently running a gen 1 8, a gen 2 8 and lss 1.I am cheap so carbon is out. Im thinking gen3 7 or 9 on bow, and gen3 9 at console with total scan, plus point 1. does total scan replace all my current transducers in the back of boat? (i use mminkota buit in for front trolling motor.) I will be networking them. Can the total scan transduecer be flush mounted on bottom of hull like my lss 1 is? Thoughts? Suggestions? Am i missing something?

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12626460 02/14/18 01:03 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
What are the recommendations for nav charts for my HDS-12 Gen3? Thirteen compatible products, from five suppliers, is more than I can sort through. I do most of my fishing here in north Texas but may take a trip for some light bay fishing (may, but don't bet on it). I'm also really new to the lakes up here.
Thanks,
ed

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: jsplinter] #12628104 02/14/18 09:38 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hello, looking for some help here.

I recently purchased/upgraded to HDS GEN 3 Units having some issues importing files/Lance Vick boat Lanes. I've got everything hooked up and running and seems I have everything hooked up correctly.

1. HDS 12" at console, 9" at bow.
2. Ethernet
3. NMEA 2000
4. 3D structure scan

When I powered everything up the unit immediately proposed software updates, which I did (hooked up to hot spot, inserted SD card, and updated). I have a Lance Vik Boat Lanes chip that gives me boat lanes for Lake Fork, Sam Rayburn, and Toledo Bend and when I went to import the data the unit aborted each time saying that there was not enough free space to do so. This is weird because my GEN 2 allowed me with no problems and the GEN 3 in new, with no way points, trails, or anything saved to the free space/hard drive. So I'm hoping you can help me understand why, how to understand what could be taking up my "free space", how to manage the "free space", or if there is something I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: JBranham] #12631475 02/16/18 06:48 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: JBranham
Hello, looking for some help here.

I recently purchased/upgraded to HDS GEN 3 Units having some issues importing files/Lance Vick boat Lanes. I've got everything hooked up and running and seems I have everything hooked up correctly.

1. HDS 12" at console, 9" at bow.
2. Ethernet
3. NMEA 2000
4. 3D structure scan

When I powered everything up the unit immediately proposed software updates, which I did (hooked up to hot spot, inserted SD card, and updated). I have a Lance Vik Boat Lanes chip that gives me boat lanes for Lake Fork, Sam Rayburn, and Toledo Bend and when I went to import the data the unit aborted each time saying that there was not enough free space to do so. This is weird because my GEN 2 allowed me with no problems and the GEN 3 in new, with no way points, trails, or anything saved to the free space/hard drive. So I'm hoping you can help me understand why, how to understand what could be taking up my "free space", how to manage the "free space", or if there is something I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

To determine the free space on your unit, which seems you have already done, Go to Main Menu, (button at top). Scroll (left side) touch FILES, then touch Wpts, Routes, Trails... This will tell you how much Used space and Free space you have. Pay attention to the items labeled Deleted Wpts and Deleted Routes. If huge or if any, simply touch Purge to get rid of them. This frees up space. Purge will not delete any active wpts/routes/trails in your unit. IMO, the new unit shouldn't have anything there.

If you still have the G2, I would delete (save beforehand if needed) all wpts/routes/trails. Import the Boat Lanes. Then save as a .gpx file and try to Import to the G3.

If you want to talk thru it, PM number to call and we'll discuss. It's difficult to try to solve typing as it could be many things.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: UJC] #12633855 02/18/18 03:15 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Jimmy,

Thanks for the information. I did talke with a Lowrance tech and the solution seemed to be a hard reset. The import took after doing this. The unit is brand new and does not have any waypoint or anything saved to the free space, and I did all the updates, which is why I didnt understand the message.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: JBranham] #12635637 02/19/18 06:42 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: JBranham
Jimmy,

Thanks for the information. I did talke with a Lowrance tech and the solution seemed to be a hard reset. The import took after doing this. The unit is brand new and does not have any waypoint or anything saved to the free space, and I did all the updates, which is why I didnt understand the message.

Good for you. Lowrance really likes the 'hard reset' solution. I've seen some boxes of newer units that have the SW version on the outside of the box. Lowrance really should have instructions clearly stated and easily seen to have the purchaser check for the current version online vs. what is on the box and to update if different before doing anything else. If troubles ensue, then to soft reset, then hard reset if necessary.

As you move forward, be aware, which you probably are, a hard reset will delete wpts., etc. So in the future, as the unit is used and wpts are stored, be sure to save your wpts/trails, etc. to a card before performing a hard reset. I even do it for a soft reset in case the unit locks up and a hard reset is the only remedy.

Re: Lowrance SONAR [Re: UJC] #12635662 02/19/18 06:49 PM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Yes, I was aware of what comes along with the hard reset. Luckily for me the unit is brand new so there was no other data saved yet.

But yes, I'm going to start periodically saving to a card just incase...

I know on my GEN 2, on a lake I run regularly, that my trails just disappeared one day and I couldn't find them anywhere so I had to start over. I don't really understand it but if I had not been to a lake in a while and I went back all my trails no longer existed.... any reason as to this?

Thanks again,
Jason

Page 101 of 118 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 117 118
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide