Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Keto Diet #12622197 02/11/18 08:51 PM
RipDaLips Offline OP
Old n Crusty
OP Offline
Old n Crusty
Has anyone else tried it?

The warden and I started it 3 weeks ago today. So far, I am 3.6lbs down and her 4.3lbs as of this morning.
Simple changes in diet, as in not eating grain based flours, instead using almond, coconut flours etc. Carbs and sugars aren't allowed and the weird thing on this is, you eat high fats foods. Lots of avocado's, good fat meats like salmon, beef and bacon is allowed too along with others. I can't even begin to explain it all, but you can Google it up for some knowledge and facts, lots of good meals to be had, and some great cook books out there. We've been finding most our recipes on Pinterest of all things.

Maybe it will benefit some of you trying to battle the bulge, or just drop that 10-15lbs or what ever your goal is.

I'll try and post updates as things move downwards on the scales. We aren't into full ketosis yet and not sure if we'll go that strong into the diet itself. So far, this has been one of the better diets with simple changes we've tried.

If this has already been discussed, feel free to delete.

Some folks mouths, flat out runs their minds.
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12622737 02/12/18 01:59 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
my boss is doing it
what do they say
about vodka?

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12623130 02/12/18 12:28 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Sounds like the Atkins diet

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12623178 02/12/18 01:24 PM
H2O Seeker Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I have had some clients who have done well following the Keto plan however they found it best to cycle off after about 6 weeks and then back on after a 2 week break or so.

In addition, I had to counsel a client who had heart disease and countless cardiac issues on both sides of the family. Counter productive to introduce a high fat intake fueling program for someone with a history of heart issues. We agreed to: 1. Increase fluid intake daily - main source to be water; 2. Eat breakfast; 3. Decrease portion sizes; 4. Eat every 2 hours; 5. Walk or other measureable activity a minimum 3X/week.

He lost 2 pant sizes...

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Keto Diet [Re: butch sanders] #12623429 02/12/18 03:49 PM
RipDaLips Offline OP
Old n Crusty
OP Offline
Old n Crusty
Originally Posted By: butch sanders
my boss is doing it
what do they say
about vodka?

Clear liquors are ok with club soda or tonic, in moderation of course.

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
I have had some clients who have done well following the Keto plan however they found it best to cycle off after about 6 weeks and then back on after a 2 week break or so.

In addition, I had to counsel a client who had heart disease and countless cardiac issues on both sides of the family. Counter productive to introduce a high fat intake fueling program for someone with a history of heart issues. We agreed to: 1. Increase fluid intake daily - main source to be water; 2. Eat breakfast; 3. Decrease portion sizes; 4. Eat every 2 hours; 5. Walk or other measureable activity a minimum 3X/week.

He lost 2 pant sizes...

Are you a doctor or PA?? Just curious, as you mentioned you had a client.

Some folks mouths, flat out runs their minds.
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12623490 02/12/18 04:08 PM
T
tsspencer2887 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Don't just pay attention to the carbs. You've got to watch out for all the other things that can get you into trouble too. Even though you're doing keto, you still want to limit your fats. Pay special attention to trans and saturated fats. You can get into trouble with those quickly. Cheese is my weak spot. I'd also recommend targeting low-carb foods that are high in HDL cholesterol. Almost by default, you can overwhelm your system with LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff). Leaning heavier on HDLs will help mitigate that. Avocados are great for this.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12623897 02/12/18 07:13 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
All I know is it's popular in the Trail and Ultra Running world. If they can run 100 miles on that diet, you will do fine! From what I am reading, you have to get to the point you start burning fat instead of carbs. Training your body to do what you want.

It's another diet with a cool name.....all diets cut out something....you just pick which food you don't mind missing out on.

For me.....I run a LOT so I can enjoy carbs and some sugars. smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12623922 02/12/18 07:28 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Keto is short for Ketosis - very simple - no sugar, no grain.

This is exactly what I started late in September - down 30 pounds and feel as good as I have in years.

If I were an elite athlete there is no way I would chose this diet...not the case. I am a 55 year old man that got a bit over weight and really my body does not process sugar well. So I moved to a no sugar no grain diet. I follow Vinnie Tortorich on twitter (google #nsng) - he is a bit crewd but really is spot on with what he recommends if you are trying to get to a sustainable weight and and eating program.

Meats - fat content is not an issue
Veggies - most veggies are good - some have a lot of lectins which is a whole additional topic - I have cut lectins out as much as possible also
Fruits - berries and low sugar fruits - juices are for the most part glorified sugar drinks so I don't drink them
Nuts - Almonds, Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts are the best
Legumes - I will eat small amounts of legumes or beans...full once again of lectins - so my chili has no beans
ole
Dairy - I eat full fat dairy everything - extra heavy whipping crme is the bomb in coffee! No reduced fat as your body is fooled by this stuff and in many cases processes it just like sugar.

No artificial sweeteners - NONE, which I love - those are all poison IMO.

Stevia is made from real sugar I use it occasionally.

Very interesting discovery - Tortorich talks about how sugar creates hunger in a vicious cycle - after 10 days of no sugars and no grains I could feel my body change...I felt terrible for about two days and once I got through the Keto-Flu I have never looked back. I crave no sugar. Sat in an Italian place Saturday had veal, cauliflower and roasted veggies and did not crave pasta - Pasta used to be my very favorite carb (along with craft beer).

Alcohol - I drink Bourbon on Ice or Gin/Vodka Topo-Chico and real lime juice (from a lime). I do miss my beer and will have a few when I get to my goal of 210. 10 pounds to go.

This is not adkins in any way stretch or form. No grain...atkins is full of grains and fake sugar.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12624106 02/12/18 09:24 PM
chickenman Offline
1:28
1:28
I'm currently on the EGG diet.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keto Diet [Re: RipDaLips] #12624183 02/12/18 10:11 PM
R
RatedG Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Keto = Atkins.... No carbs. all protein and fats.. good way to shred weight off before a vacation.

But it will come back. FAST

Re: Keto Diet [Re: RatedG] #12624220 02/12/18 10:30 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: RatedG
Keto = Atkins.... No carbs. all protein and fats.. good way to shred weight off before a vacation.

This. You have to make lifestyle changes and no one can do this the rest of their life. Plus huge health risks. Your body is built to run on carbs, protein and fats and it's all about portion control and exercise. Hopefully you all got your doctors approval before doing this and routine blood work to check your LDL levels which most likely will rise into unhealthful levels causing a whole different set of problems.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: Ranger Z21] #12624476 02/13/18 01:00 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ranger Z21

This. You have to make lifestyle changes and no one can do this the rest of their life. Plus huge health risks. Your body is built to run on carbs, protein and fats and it's all about portion control and exercise. Hopefully you all got your doctors approval before doing this and routine blood work to check your LDL levels which most likely will rise into unhealthful levels causing a whole different set of problems.

this is good advice

Re: Keto Diet [Re: Ranger Z21] #12624498 02/13/18 01:13 AM
T
tsspencer2887 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

Re: Keto Diet [Re: tsspencer2887] #12624504 02/13/18 01:17 AM
H2O Seeker Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: tsspencer2887

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

There are safer ways to do it than this however. Best advice is see a registered dietitian who can map a plan that works best for your body/situation.

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 02/13/18 01:17 AM.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Keto Diet [Re: H2O Seeker] #12624535 02/13/18 01:31 AM
T
tsspencer2887 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
Originally Posted By: tsspencer2887

There are safer ways to do it than this however. Best advice is see a registered dietitian who can map a plan that works best for your body/situation.

No argument here. Im only pointing out that Keto and Atkins are not the same thing nor should they be represented as the same thing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide