Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lake Fork/Welsch Report #12624092 02/12/18 09:12 PM
Guide Richie White Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Sorry for the delay in updating my report. I've been working on a flashy intro for my Youtube channel that I wanted to finish before putting out a report. But I've been having technical difficulties and it is taking much longer than expected. Look for it in the future. I have a bunch of 2017 sight fishing videos of big bass that I plan to post to FB and Youtube soon. Thanks for all the prayers for my wife since her stroke in November. She is doing very well now.

Saturday I was fortunate to be able to fish the Lake Fork guide tournament with Alex Finch (of Finch Nasty Bait co) and Finch prostaffer Kevin Bryant. Those guys are serious competetors! I was happy just to have a limit of bass at 2PM fishing Lake Fork in 49 degree water. But in the last hour, Alex gets an 8.67 and Kevin gets an 8.97 to win the tournament by .03 (3 hundredths of a pound). It doesn't get much closer than that. What a tournament!
Congratulations to all the Fork guides for catching fish in less than ideal conditions. Congratulations especially to Billy Lawson for getting big bass of the tournament 9.5# and a virtual tie for first at 30 1/2 pounds. Thanks to Lake Fork Resort and their additional contribution to the tournament (they donated money and gear, as well as hosting the tournament).

Lake Fork is just barely over a foot low. The water is semi-stained and in the upper 40s. I found 50 degrees just before this last front, but I doubt we'll see 50 again for a few days.
If I recall correctly, we got all of our fish in the tournament on 3 typical baits for February - jigs, traps, and thumpers. Most were in the typical 6 to 10 feet depth. As is typical for bass fishing, the bite was slow most of the day - then we would get a flurry of 3-4 fish in 30 minutes. Most of our action was around 10am and then again around 2pm. The bait that put us on top was the Finch Nasty Vicktory jig. Kevin made me a believer when he caught a 8.97# on a black/blue model in the back of my boat. This unique jig has a screw lock that allows the trailer to be buried in the hook like a Texas rig. It is much more weedless than a typical jig. So the hang ups are very minimal. You can find the Vicktory jig and thumpers at the Minnow Bucket on Lake Fork or at http://www.finchnastybaitco.com

I'm excited to fish the Vicktory jig at Lake Welsh. The water is much warmer there - and the fish are a lot more active. I would much rather fish there than Lake Fork while the water is dangerously cold, especially with fishermen who aren't as experienced. I love to teach people how to fish. And Lake Fork in the winter has the potential to frustrate even the most experienced anglers. So I'm promoting Lake Welsh in February and Monticello/Bob Sandlin in early March.
With water temps over 60 degrees, we have the option to fish topwater lures in the winter on Welsch. We also my be able to take advantage of my greatest strength - sight fishing (I wrote the book, literally. See www.bassfishing.org/spawnbook). Last trip, we found and boated several on the beds - even though we caught most of our fish just casting around the grass. The grass is absolutely beautiful there - as you can see in one of my latest videos. We caught nice fish on plastics, spinnerbaits, topwaters, and thumpers around the grass last trip. But with the water temps in the perfect range, you can literally fish your favorite bait with confidence.
I plan to fish the Bass Champs megabass tournament on March 17, so I won't be eligible to take trips to Lake Fork for a 30 day period. But I can (and would prefer to) fish Welsh/Monticello/Bob Sandlin during that off-limits period.
Due to supply and demand (and me not having many trips), I'm offering trips to Welsh for $300 for one person and $350 for two until March 15. Then, my rates are $450 through April.

If you would like to book a trip, you can see my schedule and book your trip online at http://www.bassfishing.org/go

Check out my video of 10 pounders at https://youtu.be/XwuzdbYmr5A
I plan to start uploading (to Youtube) my 1 to 2 minute "quick clip" videos of my clients (hopefully you) catching fish on on a regular basis. I'm still a few subscribers short of being able to get a channel name (I just need 100). Please click the video and subscribe to my channel to get notified when I put them up.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/richiewhite11

Like my FB page at www.Facebook.com/LakeForkFishingGuide

Good fishing and good luck. You can't catch them if you don't go.

Re: Lake Fork/Welsch Report [Re: Guide Richie White] #12650770 02/28/18 05:03 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Fork/Welsch Report [Re: Guide Richie White] #12655591 03/02/18 10:28 PM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
I get your emails Richie. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread