Forums59
Topics1,037,853
Posts13,935,636
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12594516 01/25/18 03:25 AM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
I suppose we're just supposed to sit back and let our state be ravaged? Where's your sense of responsibility? Don't you want your children and their children to enjoy the same fisheries you do?

I realize that certain things can be fixed only at a huge expense. And mussels definitely look like one of them. Yes, my kids will never enjoy the same fishery as I do -- even without mussels environment changes all the time. But I'll try to make sure they will enjoy it nevertheless. And carps and mussels do not really prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Nihilism will only exacerbate our problems.

I assume there is a study supporting this conclusion too? :-) You know, nowadays "there are studies <blahblahblah>" argument directly translates "we want to f..k you and we paid some sciency shill to help us". All sorts of fearmongers overused this argument to the where it becomes a counter to itself. Not a single person using this argument is capable of reading and critically analyzing studies he refers to.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: C.M.] #12594536 01/25/18 03:36 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: C.M.
I suppose we're just supposed to sit back and let our state be ravaged? Where's your sense of responsibility? Don't you want your children and their children to enjoy the same fisheries you do?

I realize that certain things can be fixed only at a huge expense. And mussels definitely look like one of them. Yes, my kids will never enjoy the same fishery as I do -- even without mussels environment changes all the time. But I'll try to make sure they will enjoy it nevertheless. And carps and mussels do not really prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Nihilism will only exacerbate our problems.

I assume there is a study supporting this conclusion too? :-) You know, nowadays "there are studies <blahblahblah>" argument directly translates "we want to f..k you and we paid some sciency shill to help us". All sorts of fearmongers overused this argument to the where it becomes a counter to itself. Not a single person using this argument is capable of reading and critically analyzing studies he refers to.

I understand that completely, it's a shame we've let monied interests control us as they do now. When it comes to an invasive species however, it's not necessarily a question of their effects on the native environment, but just the simple fact that they don't belong. I don't like the way that they're dealing with it now (they're not), but I don't like the idea of just sitting around either. My thinking is that there must be something that we can do, I just don't know what that is.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12594592 01/25/18 04:15 AM
machinist Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
How do you feel about Illegal Immigration? Those are invasive species too.

I fish on the edge and stay out of the middle

99 BassCat Jag w/225 Merc Optimax
Retired TXU Outage Manager
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: machinist] #12594637 01/25/18 05:22 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: machinist
How do you feel about Illegal Immigration? Those are invasive species too.

There's a different forum for politics, but I will note that whether or not they are legal or illegal is ultimately irrelevant. In the context of an invasive species, they are non-native and therefore invasive.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 01/25/18 05:27 AM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12594658 01/25/18 08:06 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
There's always two sides to an argument and like others have noted, studies can be manipulated to give you what you want them to give you. There is a ton of bad publicity on the effects of zebra mussels but if you start searching positive effects, there are also studies and reports of them improving some lakes. They are being credited on Lake Erie as to being the reason for the surge in the small mouth population as well as the larger size of the small mouths now. Canada is reporting Lake Ontario is producing fatter, faster growing salmon.

The reason they are using is the water clarity from them. It allows the sun to penetrate further, growing algae at deeper depths, it allows fish to see better to search for food. Fish are eating the mussels and growing and in turn larger fish are sight fishing for those fish and eating more and growing more. They have developed mechanical cleaning and coatings for pipes, etc. It isn't always the sky is falling. They've been in Europe much longer than here. I'd like to see studies of fish population in their lakes. I'm sure they didn't lose all their fish because of them.

An invasive species, yes. Florida strain of bass aren't a native here either as are other fish that have been introduced over the years. I wouldn't mind having clearer lakes myself.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Bilboinsa] #12596544 01/26/18 06:07 PM
F
Fshnutz Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa
I know that the official word for ZM in Canyon Lake came out several months ago. But I can tell you I have found them on branches brought up at the far west end (upriver) of the lake and as far east as Toms Creek. Apears they have been here for quite awhile. Have not heard of any boating problems yet.

Yep. I pulled up an old abandoned trot line the other day on Canyon (Tom's Creek). The zebras started about 8 feet down the line and covered it all the way down to the rock at the bottom. It's safe to say that Canyon has a full blow infestation.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12597883 01/27/18 06:24 PM
M
me and the boys Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
M
I read the effects of zebra mussels on the Great Lakes was incredible.
Basically it saved the commercial fishing industry from all the pollution in the water. Statistics prove it defiantly cleaned the lakes.

Now I am not promoting any invasive at all, I wonder it they could stop the golden algea and the effects it has had in our recent past?

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12607326 02/02/18 06:14 PM
L
laserfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Took this picture summer of 17. Ladder I put in the water at Bridgeport summer of 16 for the grandkids to get out and up on the dock. I can see where the worry about them clogging up pipes comes from. The bottom of the ladder was completely encrusted. Sure would not want the kids feet on them, they are sharp.
Sorry, could not get the photo to load. Aluminum ladder rungs full of mussels after one year.

Last edited by laserfish; 02/02/18 06:19 PM.
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12612197 02/05/18 08:36 PM
H
HookDog02 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Cats, drum, and perch that I catch in Belton lake sometimes have them in their stomachs, so fish do eat them. I have noticed that some areas of the lake are really clear but in my experience this has not really impacted the fishing other than being able to see the fish. There is really no way to get rid of the ZM once they are in so I think the lakes will adapt.

Life is a beach, i'm just playing in the sand.
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12613146 02/06/18 01:49 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
[quote=Smile-n-Nod]What effects are zebra mussels and silver carp expected to have on Texas fishing in the years ahead?

Don't believe the hysteria the TPWD tries to feed you about the Zebra Mussel.

Seems as if they for some reason have decided boater are the target for Zebra Mussels and thus have focused on writing tickets to more boaters.

Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa
I know that the official word for ZM in Canyon Lake came out several months ago. But I can tell you I have found them on branches brought up at the far west end (upriver) of the lake and as far east as Toms Creek. Apears they have been here for quite awhile. Have not heard of any boating problems yet.

While it may seem to simply be an inconvenience now, Zebra Mussels can have a devastating effect on our environment in the future. Just like any other invasive species, they not only threaten to negatively impact our native fish and wildlife, but they've been proven to. In the Hudson river, ZM have caused microzooplankton populations to decrease 70%, and phytoplankton populations to decrease 80%. Not only does this effect the fish that feed on these plankton (like the threatened Paddlefish, Gizzard Shad, and many smaller species), but it disrupts the entire food chain. Plankton make up most of the living matter in a body of water, and serve as the food base for the entire ecosystem. A decrease in plankton is a decrease in everything.

So, if you are looking for an answer to increased zooplankton (all versions you listed)...just add some fertilizer to the watershed occasionally...problem solved, no big political studies, fearmongering concerns, needless/useless/invasive laws to extract more money from my pocket book....planet is saved thanks to addition of fertilizer...just saying, you dont let the tail wag the dog.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12613211 02/06/18 02:29 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I agree that the world will continue to spin in spite of the Zebra Mussel "epidemic". There will even be some small benefits from the invasive species but......those that say it doesn't hurt anything are ignorant or uneducated. I can not find the picture that was online showing the big metal screens being pulled out of the water intake on Lake Bridgeport. They were completely encrusted with inches thick Zebra Mussels. Almost completely blocked. THAT is why a friend of mine who is the Superintendent of the Somervell County Water District will not allow bass boats in my backyard lake Wheeler Branch. The SCWD's sole being is to provide water for all of Somervell County. Fishing or having a picnic in the park is simply a perk. Can the mussels be stopped? Probably not. Will the earth continue to turn? Ya. But they certainly can not be ignored by those who's job it is to deal with this even if a bunch of fisherman say "don't worry about it".

Last edited by 361V; 02/06/18 02:32 PM.
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12613719 02/06/18 07:05 PM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
You know that boat is not the only way they spread, right? wink

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: C.M.] #12614056 02/06/18 09:58 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: C.M.
You know that boat is not the only way they spread, right? wink

Yea, those migratory birds carry most of them on their legs...lot more of them than there are bass boats...but those water superintendents always seem to follow the big money political interests, when in reality they dont even bother to consider the root causes...unfortunately, they have to have someone to blame without any real thought of where the truth lies...just saying...dont p*ss down my back and tell me its raining...

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12614089 02/06/18 10:20 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Hydrilla is invasive also. Just throwing that out there

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12614458 02/07/18 01:59 AM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Zm are not a big deal to lake... HUGE GIANT NASTY EXSPENSIVE deal to infrastructure... the cities water lines have massive maintnaice increase with them

Carp are bad... keep them out imho...

The only invasive i advocate is hydrilla. Never seen or heard of a lake it hurt

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide