Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
A Little TC Dike Info..... #12607464 02/02/18 07:22 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Come March...The City will start charging 'Out of Town" folks to come on the Dike. Unless the fee has changed, it's $5 a vehicle. Fri-Sun. Each day is $5. This will run to Nov.1st. Tx City residents get on FREE and have a certain sticker affixed to the windshield. Ever since Hurricane IKE hit and wiped out every bait camp on the Dike, up-rooted all the small piers and docks,cleaning stations, destroyed the Lighted Pier forever, tore up the road, and destroyed the First Ladies Pavilion.....Which was rebuilt on the North side this time, the City has done a remarkable job repairing the Dike itself and it's amenities. The task STILL continues in areas on the North side of the Dike. The boat ramps from the West end to the far East end couldn't be better. Solar lighting, more trash cans, warning signs have been installed the entire 5 1/4 mile length of the Dike. There are NO bait camps on the Dike at all. Prior to entering the Dike, you will find 3 bait camps, Boyd's One Stop is by far the Largest with a new Grill and some great eats. Anything you need to go Catchin' is there. NO BEER tho. No Glass Bottles allowed on the Dike. BTW, you can get your fishing license at Boyd's also.
As a personal request...when you do go on the Dike, please keep it clean. Pick up your trash.There are plenty of Purple Barrels to dispose of your garbage. We all know that there is that 10% that do not want to do this. Trash pick ups are weekly. Last but not least, please adhere to the warning signs.They are in Spanish also. Shipping lanes are a stone's throw from the waters edge. The ships will suck out the water when passing and inturn wash back in. For you Rock Walker's, watch out for your gear as ships on the South side create a big wake and at times waves wash over the rock groin.
Be safe near Mosquito Island. Actually it's a banana shaped oyster reef you can walk out on. Some people have been known to drive out on it! Not sure if they allow that anymore. The WEST side of the "island" is very dangerous for waders. One can walk out a little ways and all the sudden it drops off in some deep water. A lot of people have drowned there as well as the beach areas. please don't be a statistic. Wear those PFD's if you head into the waters.
Hope this info helps. Be safe, have fun, and remember to Take a Kid Fishin'.

Last edited by V-Bottom; 02/04/18 06:08 PM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: V-Bottom] #12609861 02/04/18 03:31 PM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Great info!

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: V-Bottom] #12629096 02/15/18 02:23 PM
E
EastBay Boats Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Since l was a kid always loved the Texas City Dike fishing, if one spot did not produce walk tweenty feet down the dike and fish on, if the south side was dirty go skinny and a double drop on the north side. Before hurricane Ike the dike got beat up and run down and scary at night, l thank that storm for sweeping the place up, for Texas City government did not relize the asset they had and let it go to hell, after Ike they lost it all and Texas stepped in and did what needed to be done, lets hope Texas City keeps it up and keeps it clean.

979 323 9087/Howard
Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: V-Bottom] #12632717 02/17/18 03:33 PM
L
lou7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Im desperate to get out and fish.After reading this Im willing to go to the dike if theres even the chance of some action.Ill usually go there about twice a year since Ike.Ill lose a lot of tackle and catch nothing thats memorable,and the the next time Ill go its a repeat.Im trying to break this vicious cycle.So maybe tomorrow morning Ill stop there on my way to Galveston.

Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: lou7] #12633217 02/17/18 10:17 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: lou7
Im desperate to get out and fish.After reading this Im willing to go to the dike if theres even the chance of some action.Ill usually go there about twice a year since Ike.Ill lose a lot of tackle and catch nothing thats memorable,and the the next time Ill go its a repeat.Im trying to break this vicious cycle.So maybe tomorrow morning Ill stop there on my way to Galveston.

Let us know how ya did....

Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: V-Bottom] #12634313 02/18/18 10:05 PM
L
lou7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Fog fog and more fog.I got down to Galveston at around 6:30 got some shrimp and stopped at the Yacht Basin and picked up some crab.Started at the ferry landing,not a bite.Next went down to the sea wall at 39th street and stayed there for an hour,soaking the crab on my surf rod and using my smaller one with the shrimp.Nothin.There was a nice older couple there with six rods between them.They told me they just started fishing a few months ago and they love it.Great hobby to share when you get up in the years.
Any way they caught a nice sized whiting while I was there and that was the only fish I saw.
Around 9:30 I headed over to the dike the fog was still about 30 feet.
l started at the end and worked my way back.First cast got hung up on the bottom,Lost that tackle.I switched to a popping cork with the shrimp and not even a nibble.I didnt even bother with my surf rod and the crab until I got to the next spot.
I think all I did was feed the piggie perch crab and shrimp for breakfast,from the way they cleaned the crab and stole the shrimp.
Oh and the first cast with the surf rod,in Galveston,the line snapped and away went a double rig loaded with crab and a spider weight.
Still it sure beat sitting at home wishing that I was fishing

Last edited by lou7; 02/18/18 10:07 PM.
Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: V-Bottom] #12634549 02/19/18 01:31 AM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
some days chicken, some days feathers. i hear ya, been there, done that-----many times.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: A Little TC Dike Info..... [Re: lou7] #12634800 02/19/18 04:10 AM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: lou7
Fog fog and more fog.I got down to Galveston at around 6:30 got some shrimp and stopped at the Yacht Basin and picked up some crab.Started at the ferry landing,not a bite.Next went down to the sea wall at 39th street and stayed there for an hour,soaking the crab on my surf rod and using my smaller one with the shrimp.Nothin.There was a nice older couple there with six rods between them.They told me they just started fishing a few months ago and they love it.Great hobby to share when you get up in the years.
Any way they caught a nice sized whiting while I was there and that was the only fish I saw.
Around 9:30 I headed over to the dike the fog was still about 30 feet.
l started at the end and worked my way back.First cast got hung up on the bottom,Lost that tackle.I switched to a popping cork with the shrimp and not even a nibble.I didnt even bother with my surf rod and the crab until I got to the next spot.
I think all I did was feed the piggie perch crab and shrimp for breakfast,from the way they cleaned the crab and stole the shrimp.
Oh and the first cast with the surf rod,in Galveston,the line snapped and away went a double rig loaded with crab and a spider weight.
Still it sure beat sitting at home wishing that I was fishing

Next time, use a spider weight (4 oz.), try rigging it Carolina style with only ONE bait (half a crab..less the shell and feet)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide