Extreme Angler
here in Texas?

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12604953 02/01/18 12:26 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
To answer your question...I am not sure...biologists suggest it is possible (he who shall not be named actually chased down such a biologist several years ago)...crappie are a member of the panfish species...so who knows, I dont, and I rather doubt it...but I do occasionally mention that possibility in my comments...just to keep the theory open for discussion...there are three camps on this issue...those who know they do/can; those who know they cant/wont; and those who dont know/care! The question is...Which camp are you in? UJC, ...what do you think...you are a master crappie fisherman...any biologists out there?

hmmm

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: crapicat] #12604970 02/01/18 12:46 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
What I have seen is more like a staggered spawn that fully takes about three months to complete before both species have finished...some are early, while others are later, water temp, clarity, moon phase ,daylight hours, cold fronts, age and maturity of the fish are all variables that keep us scratching our heads and give us many different opinions, non of Wich are totally scientific or set in stone....if someone asked what time is lunch in America,an obvious answer could be 12 noon... but that would put someone on the west coast eating lunch three hours after the someone on the east coast, and both would be 12 noon.....if that makes any sense.

Last edited by TroyKing; 02/01/18 12:47 PM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605180 02/01/18 03:22 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
There are always oddities in nature, but the vast majority spawn in several waves in the spring.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605192 02/01/18 03:29 PM
S
SlabbedSilly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
IMO there is no long debated fall spawn as sone would suggest. Again, it's just MY opinion. I could be swayed if (and only if) someone can show me some pictures of male crappie in their tuxedo colors caught in the fall months.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605332 02/01/18 04:55 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Now that you have called me out Dale (crapicat) pollo the crappie spawn begins answer here and ends answer here. Fill in the blank for the correct answer.

TroyKing's response is good enough for me. I just go fishing when I can. And when I go, I try to make it a catching trip, not just fishing.

Maybe Steve can give us a better scientific answer - this is a compliment Steve as I enjoy your thoughtful input.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605491 02/01/18 06:40 PM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
water temp is not a factor in my opinion, as has been stated many times, if water temp were a factor, crappie in the north would never spawn. The temp theory has been a myth that has been repeated for many years. As humans, we tend to think of what is feasible for us, not fish. Fish live by thier own rules of life. the reason cold fronts delay the spawn and causes fish to move in and out of areas is likely due to moderate to drastic barometric pressure changes that always occur when major weather condition changes occur. the temp of 25 feet of water column does not change signifigantly due to a one day coldfront moving over an area.
if I has to rank factors that I believe trigger the spawn it would look like this.
1 biological trigger built into the dna of the fish

2 water conditions, nutrient rich content

3 barometric pressure conditions

4. hours of sunlight vs darkness

the reason for the 1st one is that it all really starts with the growth of the eggs in the female in the fall, and this is a biological trigger, just as in humans a woman natural ovulates every month. its encoded in the life . The female crappie cannot hold the eggs forever and deposit the eggs when conditions are most suitable, during a window that is most conducive for the eggs to survive.
\

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605701 02/01/18 08:36 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Crappie only spawn in the spring from what I have seen. The fish don't have developed eggs in October/November to be viable. Crappie in the spring will spawn in waves and at different parts of the lakes at different times. Water temp is the most important factor with length of day being second.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605790 02/01/18 09:34 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
If it does happen, its not in large numbers, usually the spring, like April-may is the best time. When the water temp gets right, they will move to the shallows.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12605901 02/01/18 10:48 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Always an interesting topic. TroyKing's post pretty well covers it for me. And like Jimmy, I go when I can and try to make it a catching trip. I really don't care if they spawn once or 10 times a year or what the water temp is. I just go from experience and observations of where I caught some and when.

In reference to when and water temps and other parts of the country, here's an article about the crappie spawn in Ontario from the Ontario Fishing Network Newsletter.
http://ontariofishing.net/news/april2005-1.html

And here's one from Duck Bay Lodge about spring crappie spawn in Lake of the Woods, Ontario Canada.
http://www.duckbaylodge.com/services/fishing/crappie-fishing/

An here's an In-Fisherman article about crappie spawns from Florida to Canada. Long read, but you can scroll down near bottom to read the part about crappie spawning in Canada and water temps.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/early-spring-crappie-tactics/

So enjoy the reading and good fishin. fish

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: Ken Gaby] #12606333 02/02/18 02:32 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Enjoyable reading Ken...thanks, always love your links...

BTW Jimmy, the devil made me do it... roflmao

Leaning post, I always thought water temp in a given range during a full moon phase, was a key. That said, Im siding with Jimmy...Im going often and looking to go catching more than fishing...I do my fishing/ exploring at other times of the year...OR when Im fishing with Jimmy!

Troy, you gave the answer away much too early in the post...IMO.

Believe it or not, I start looking for crappie shallow first this time of the year, instead of vice versa, just because I want to get in on the front end of the shallow move, the staging move, etc.,I dont stay shallow too long, but I go there first just to check...hey, I have been late to the shallow party once too many times in my life...

From lanes posts looks like they can be found gorging on Shad in open/deep water currently.

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12606366 02/02/18 02:49 AM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
If water temp is not a factor, why don't they spawn in the middle of the winter?

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: hawghoover] #12606375 02/02/18 02:58 AM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
keep this in mind. articles in fishing magazines are written by people who may or may not just repeating the same myths thier father was told and thier father was told. I guess if you can convince a magazine editor that you are an authority on the subject matter in question, then you can pretty much write whatever you want. one article posted even narrows the exact spawn temp to 66 to 68 degrees. this is ridiculous to think that crappie would only spawn during a 4 degree temp range as was posted in the article.

"As the water heats up, once again crappie will head to shallow water. As soon as 66-68 degrees is reached, the spawn will commence."

if your waiting on a specific temperature to go fishing for spawning crappie, I can just about guarantee that you are missing out on most of the spawners. I have caught spawners from the 50s to the 80s. this is what makes me so confident that temp doesnt matter. This is information based on fact that I have observed. check things out for yourself , spawn is just around the corner. Start fishing around the end of february, no matter what the water temp is, from 17 feet and work your way shallow. not the other way around. you may be shocked at what you learn. once you learn the real secret to the spawn, you will never beat the banks for miles and miles, only to sometimes find the little immature males again.

thumb

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: leanin post] #12606400 02/02/18 03:11 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hey Kirk, good to see you are hanging in there.

Ok, leaning post...what you suggest will get me in trouble with the doctor...he says I need the exercise, and it is one of the few ways I get out of the 4 mile daily hike with my wife!

Re: do we really have 2 spawns [Re: leanin post] #12606413 02/02/18 03:22 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
hmmm maybe I need to become a magazine writer, sound like an authority...no special knowledge necessary, just convince some editor that you can turn a phrase and/or catch a fish...do they actually get paid for the effort?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide