Print Thread
Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... #12588894 01/21/18 10:57 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Im leaving tomorrow from Iowa to Austin then Falcon...

Anyone got any pointers for either? Or want to meet up on the water?

Taking my brother in law fishing in Austin whos never fished for bass etc...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12588934 01/21/18 11:15 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Decker Lake is a pretty good lake. However, it gets extremely crowded on the weekends. You can walk across the yakkers. That lake gets so much pressure that I'm surprised there are fish left in that lake. With that being said, it still manages to produce good numbers and size. Not uncommon to catch a 7 pounder out there. It all come down to if you know how fish reeds and grass. If you don't mind the crowds then go for it.

Soft plastics are a big producer in the grass. Things like a wacky worm, small craw, fluke, etc.. any shade of green pumpkin works well. Lipless cranks work well this time of year in the red craw color. Vibrating jigs work well too.

As for Falcon, it's been a little slow recently because the water got below 60 degrees and it's taking it's sweet time to come back above. However, it's Falcon after all. You can catch a 35 pound bag at any time, no matter the conditions. Water level is pretty good (could be better) right now and there's lots of flooded brush to flip to. If you like flipping/pitching then Falcon is the place to go. I recommend a jig in green pumpkin or black/blue. you can flip any soft plastic craw, lizard, or worm and get bit too. Watermelon/red is the way to go as far as soft plastics. Crankbaits and spinnerbaits work well too. White or white/chartreuse on the spinnerbaits, citrus shad or chartreuse/blue back on the crankbaits. Don't be afraid to throw a red craw squarebill either. The South end of the lake is definitely fishing better than the North end. I would launch at the State Park and fish all the creeks on the Mexican side, especially the Salanaias and Benevides. Bring heavy line and rods. I'm talking 65-80 pound braid and 7'3"+ rods with a solid backbone. If you plan on flipping/pitching, bring a ton of 1/2oz weights and heavy duty flipping hooks. You will lose them, so bring quite a bit.

PM for more info if you want to.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: bigbass94] #12589186 01/22/18 12:57 AM
J
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Decker Lake is a pretty good lake. However, it gets extremely crowded on the weekends. You can walk across the yakkers. That lake gets so much pressure that I'm surprised there are fish left in that lake. With that being said, it still manages to produce good numbers and size. Not uncommon to catch a 7 pounder out there. It all come down to if you know how fish reeds and grass. If you don't mind the crowds then go for it.

Soft plastics are a big producer in the grass. Things like a wacky worm, small craw, fluke, etc.. any shade of green pumpkin works well. Lipless cranks work well this time of year in the red craw color. Vibrating jigs work well too.

As for Falcon, it's been a little slow recently because the water got below 60 degrees and it's taking it's sweet time to come back above. However, it's Falcon after all. You can catch a 35 pound bag at any time, no matter the conditions. Water level is pretty good (could be better) right now and there's lots of flooded brush to flip to. If you like flipping/pitching then Falcon is the place to go. I recommend a jig in green pumpkin or black/blue. you can flip any soft plastic craw, lizard, or worm and get bit too. Watermelon/red is the way to go as far as soft plastics. Crankbaits and spinnerbaits work well too. White or white/chartreuse on the spinnerbaits, citrus shad or chartreuse/blue back on the crankbaits. Don't be afraid to throw a red craw squarebill either. The South end of the lake is definitely fishing better than the North end. I would launch at the State Park and fish all the creeks on the Mexican side, especially the Salanaias and Benevides. Bring heavy line and rods. I'm talking 65-80 pound braid and 7'3"+ rods with a solid backbone. If you plan on flipping/pitching, bring a ton of 1/2oz weights and heavy duty flipping hooks. You will lose them, so bring quite a bit.

PM for more info if you want to.

Ill be on decker wed thur so maybe Ill avoid the crowd

Thanks for all the info on both, I appreciate it, everything you said for falcon is same as fishing here in Iowa except the red plastics... I got a bunch of them when I was at fork a month ago though.

Really appreciate the info on the south end of the lake vs north, Ive seen the two creeks you mentioned on old old threads some place.

My equipment is up to the task.... lots of braid on mh heavy rods etc. Flipping is my favorite and plastics, period. Ive got a lot of everything else but dont really know why!

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12589309 01/22/18 01:34 AM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you're flipping at Falcon, leave the MH rods in the rod locker- you'll probably get your heart broken. And don't even think of "playing" one out of the thick stuff. Horse em out as quickly as possible. Yeah, you might lose em- but they'll weave you a braid sweater in a tree quick if you give me any time down there and you'll never see em anyway. Good luck.

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12589320 01/22/18 01:39 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Red lipless over the grass at decker

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12591502 01/23/18 12:10 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I fished Decker in the summer and fall, but haven't been there since late November. There are some youtube Kayakers who fished there 2 weeks ago and brought in a few good ones on crank bait. Link to the video is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q66-evygfoM

Last edited by Skunked Again Fishing; 01/28/18 11:33 AM.

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12592656 01/24/18 12:54 AM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Lake Austin? Now a shell of it's former fishin' self after it's aquatic vegetation was decimated by release of a gross overstocking of grass carp.

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12593068 01/24/18 04:50 AM
wtf242 Offline
Angler
Angler
Decker is my favorite Austin lake. This time of the year I would be ripping lipless cranks through the grass, as well as chatter baits. The cold probably killed a lot of the grass in the past couple of weeks, making it a bit easier to fish.

This summer was brutal there. The grass was out of control because of the weak winter last year.

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12593073 01/24/18 04:55 AM
J
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Decker was slow. I got One on a few hours. I only Saw one other caught and talked to a few guys and they all said real slow.

Im down at falcon now.

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: bigbass94] #12593856 01/24/18 08:24 PM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
[quote=bigbass94]. I would launch at the State Park and fish all the creeks on the Mexican side, especially the Salanaias and Benevides. Bring heavy line and rods. I'm talking 65-80 pound braid and 7'3"+ rods with a solid backbone.
Be sure and get a MX fishing permit at Falcon Lake Tackle if you are going to fish on the Mexican side.

Re: Decker Lake Austin, Falcon trip.... [Re: bigbass94] #12594223 01/25/18 12:52 AM
M
markson Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Decker Lake is a pretty good lake. However, it gets extremely crowded on the weekends. You can walk across the yakkers.

I was out there last spring during a weekend and pulled into a cove that was ringed with yakkers beating the bank. Pulled up to an isolated weed bed I had previously graphed but never fished in the deepest middle of the cove and pulled a 7.5 lbs fat girl on the first drop. Then I left as quick as I arrived. That is when I figured out how to catch fish on that lake when it is pressured on the weekends.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide