texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,030
TexDawg 119,792
Bigbob_FTW 95,334
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,490
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,918
Posts13,955,334
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Older Bass Anglers #12585900 01/19/18 05:45 PM
TBassYates Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Approaching my mid 60's and man how time flies when you're having fun. Bass fishing is a lifestyle I have enjoyed for a lot of years. Last weekend at the Fun N Sun show was such a blast talking fishing with like minded people and friends I have made over the last 30+ years. But more and more the last few years I have made comments about how much longer I would be able to fish bass tournaments and go fishing especially with my buddy Robert Hargrove's passing. Then something comes across and I apologize if this has already been brought out or discussed but it is so great to have seen Harold Allen and his partner Matt Loetscner win the Texas Team Trail tournament on Toldedo Bend. Harold at 72 years old. I know he has been a force there for decades and he is a great angler but I can tell you that as you age it is just harder to do everything necessary to fish like in earlier years. Just by seeing him continually not just get out to compete but do it at a high level makes you want to forget about age and just keep going and enjoying the great outdoors and bass fishing.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12585961 01/19/18 06:26 PM
flexpress Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
myself Im still at it at 64 butt I just plug away lol partner passed now wife has step up she fishing with me this year she a greenhorn but what can I say lot to learn .. were fishing Texas bass couples northeast div .we slow down let young guns run us around lol

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12585976 01/19/18 06:36 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Approaching my mid 60's and man how time flies when you're having fun. Bass fishing is a lifestyle I have enjoyed for a lot of years. Last weekend at the Fun N Sun show was such a blast talking fishing with like minded people and friends I have made over the last 30+ years. But more and more the last few years I have made comments about how much longer I would be able to fish bass tournaments and go fishing especially with my buddy Robert Hargrove's passing. Then something comes across and I apologize if this has already been brought out or discussed but it is so great to have seen Harold Allen and his partner Matt Loetscner win the Texas Team Trail tournament on Toldedo Bend. Harold at 72 years old. I know he has been a force there for decades and he is a great angler but I can tell you that as you age it is just harder to do everything necessary to fish like in earlier years. Just by seeing him continually not just get out to compete but do it at a high level makes you want to forget about age and just keep going and enjoying the great outdoors and bass fishing.

Don't let age stop you from doing anything. It's mostly mental anyway, just concentrate on being healthy and use wisdom in all your endeavors. Doing things that make you happy also makes you healthy. Fishing tournaments is very exciting and gets the blood flowing. If that's something you love doing, go for it. Winning comes in second place as far as having fun. Time spent on the water with friends is invaluable and you'll never regret it thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586022 01/19/18 07:03 PM
P
propman Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I am now in my 70's and have only been in 1 big bass tournament. I feel my tournament is always me against the bass. They win most of the time but I occasionally get the upper hand. That is enough to keep me going. I have an older bass boat that I am most afraid of falling out of it due to lesser balance in my older age. I now have a roll-up ladder always attached to a cleat when fishing alone to hopefully help get me in the boat in the event that I do fall in the lake. I also always wear my inflatable life jacket when I'm fishing alone and if I have a guest on the boat I always wear it when using the big motor. I have no trouble launching as I have a longer docking rope tied to a front cleat and when launching I tie the other end to a tie down on the rear of my truck. When I back in I always try to get close to the dock and once the boat floats I get out and untie from the truck and tie off to the dock cleat. Loading back up I use the long tie down rope to lasso the dock cleat on the way in and then tie off until I get the trailer back to loading depth and as close to the dock again as possible where I do go to front of the boat and unplug the trolling motor so I don't hit the on/off pedal when I lean over to hook the front safety and ratchet strap to the bow. Now I can get out without climbing over the front of the boat to the truck or getting my feet wet. I just step off onto the dock and off we go.

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586097 01/19/18 07:55 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
its not really the age,so much, its the mileage for sure. Know what everyone is talking about, how much longer can I do this and actually be a factor?
Don't have the answer, just the questions.

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586140 01/19/18 08:40 PM
S
SkeetP Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm 67 and still going strong, don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Bring it on youngster's !! Let it ride....

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586281 01/19/18 10:15 PM
T
TEXASJIGSTER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
At 60 I can't throw those big crank bait or Carolina rigs like I use to my back just won't take it. Every thing else I'm as strong as I was 40 years ago. Can't wait to retire and be able to pick my days to fish and only fish tournys on the weekends.

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586396 01/19/18 11:40 PM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
we have boaters in our club that are in their mid 80's, they tow, launch and load, and catch fish. only issue they want shorter tournaments and no night tournaments

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586418 01/20/18 12:12 AM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I know several in there seventies and eighties that are still going strong.

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12586851 01/20/18 04:17 AM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
@ 62 still going , little slower , maintaining truck / boat becoming an issue , but getting up in the morning is the same feeling as it is when I was going with Dad at 5 or 6 .

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12587023 01/20/18 11:37 AM
F
Fishspanker Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Only 55 but feel the clock ticking on things like our big annual wade fishing trip to Venice. Got to make it every year as you never know how many more years you will be able to keep doing it. Really don't have the desire to tournament fish in bad weather anymore either.

Going to get the Peacock Bass trip to Brazil in this year. Can't leave the bucket list undone.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 01/20/18 11:39 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: Fishspanker] #12587024 01/20/18 11:44 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Only 55 but feel the clock ticking on things like our big annual wade fishing trip to Venice. Got to make it every year as you never know how many more years you will be able to keep doing it. Really don't have the desire to tournament fish in bad weather anymore either.

Going to get the Peacock Bass trip to Brazil in this year. Can't leave the bucket list undone.

Hang in there buddy, the best is yet to come. Don't pass up a chance to make another memory and a Peacock Bass trip fits the bill. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: TBassYates] #12587068 01/20/18 01:11 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
At 57, I'm starting to think that I'm really not invincible. I do know that I'm not privy to prefishing every weekend, working hard at it to find fish, fighting weather conditions, and then go to the tournaments once a month. I did that for almost 20 years and done with it. I do still have competitive juices flowing for a jackpot here or there,though, or BB tourney occasionally. I used to night fish a lot, just haven't been much in the last 3 or 4 years. I plan to do more of that during summer, but always with a partner. RayBob be ready! I have the luxury of fishing during weekdays. That has spoiled me. I can sit back and thank my lucky stars when I actually do go on the weekend and see the clusters that I get to avoid. I don't get mad, just SMH a little.....I thank God every day that he granted me the "passion of bass fishing". I hope I can make it another 20 years but if not, I am thankful for what God has provided up to this point.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12587076 01/20/18 01:21 PM
T
Troyz Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

Hang in there buddy, the best is yet to come. Don't pass up a chance to make another memory and a Peacock Bass trip fits the bill. thumb

Will be 70 in a couple of weeks. Definitely slowed down some but nowhere close to quitting. Birthday present from my son is a Peacock Bass Trip later this year. I also have a couple of trips to Florida planned to fish with another son and grandson. Falcon is also on the list but have not decided on timeframe yet. This is all in addition to the 4 or 5 times a week I am on the water locally. Got to keep following the dream......

Re: Older Bass Anglers [Re: meP2too] #12587410 01/20/18 07:22 PM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: meP2too
we have boaters in our club that are in their mid 80's, they tow, launch and load, and catch fish. only issue they want shorter tournaments and no night tournaments

I am in that age range myself. I now only fish 1 day club tournaments that are not too far from home. I also have a partner who is very helpful. I'm not ready to give it up yet!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide