Print Thread
How long on a pile without a bite? #12581036 01/16/18 04:42 PM
S
stretch Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
So yesterday I drop in, troll past a pile and see on the side scan that it appears to be loaded with crappie. I stop and instantly get hammered, fish gets to the top and comes off the hook, drop back down get another bite instantly, and a third time. Then it goes dead for about 5 minutes, then I proceed to get 2 more nice ones off the same spot and it goes dead again, I hang around for about 10 minutes trying different jigs and colors but nothing so I move on. After trolling around for 4 hours looking for another good pile I finally make my way back to the same pile and catch two more instantly then nothing again. After a few minutes I move on and find nothing the rest of the afternoon. Would you have stayed on the original spot all day or done the same thing I did?

Last edited by stretch; 01/16/18 04:47 PM.
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581076 01/16/18 05:05 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Same as what you did. If I'm just fun fishing, and I have a lot of brushpiles on that lake...I don't give a brushpile more than 5-10 minutes to produce bites...no bite I move on like you did. I may come back that day, especially when it looks like that photo.

Now tourney fishing can be a different animal, but that's not the issue here.

Well done.

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581107 01/16/18 05:17 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
I'd do the same thing you did. That's the nature of schools of crappie sometimes. If they're not in the mood to feed, not much you can do to change that.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581130 01/16/18 05:28 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I've done the same, my wife usually says that we've caught all the hungry ones,..who knows maybe something to that.
fish
` hooked

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581160 01/16/18 05:48 PM
M
markson Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I would have tried to move around the pile and also vary the depth and presentation as well as the jig types (as you did). I have found that sometimes Crappie like to feed "looking up" so floating the jig above the pile sometimes works. Bouncing it around the outside edges can draw strikes as well. If you don't mind losing some jigs probing inside is deadly, but you may have to wait awhile if you hang up and disturb the pile trying to break free (although I have seen when that will actually wake the fish up to feed better).

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581209 01/16/18 06:13 PM
Buff2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I'm guilty of setting too long

Marty Thomas
LOP Crappie fishing guide
https://www.facebook.com/Lake-O-the-Pines-Crappie-Fishing-414011322706312/
lakeothepinescrappiefishing.com
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581247 01/16/18 06:41 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
It depends on the quality of the fish I`ve caught on that pile.I seldom will leave fish to go find fish but I will exhaust every technique in my arsenal including a LB before moving on.Just my opinion but 4 hrs spent hunting I would have just stayed put for 4hrs and tried different tactics, profiles,jigheads etc.I agree with markson on this one.I would consider it a challenge because I know they are there.Not everyone thinks this way but it`s just my 2cents

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581366 01/16/18 07:47 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I don't see anything you did wrong. Recreationally fishing, it seems to me you did the right thing, especially returning to that structure. It sounds like it was a day for low bites and light bites. But the fish you were catching were the active fish. That is why leaving and then returning was a good thing IMO. Usually, at any one time even if fish aren't biting there a few active fish. Having said that, I have experienced complete lockjaw before.

Years ago, I read a magazine article from a well-seasoned crappie angler that said he only searches for active crappie. He wouldn't stop unless he saw active fish on his sonar. They only had 2d in those days. He had pictures of the unit showing and explaining what active/inactive fish look like on the screen. His illustrations and explanations have stuck with me all this time.

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12581459 01/16/18 08:45 PM
S
stratos caster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
When there is a noticeable slow down in the bite I give them 5 minutes then it's on to the next pile.

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: markson] #12581525 01/16/18 09:35 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Way too many spots to waste time on inactive fish. Find and fish the active fish.

Originally Posted By: markson
I would have tried to move around the pile and also vary the depth and presentation as well as the jig types (as you did). I have found that sometimes Crappie like to feed "looking up" so floating the jig above the pile sometimes works. Bouncing it around the outside edges can draw strikes as well. If you don't mind losing some jigs probing inside is deadly, but you may have to wait awhile if you hang up and disturb the pile trying to break free (although I have seen when that will actually wake the fish up to feed better).

Try using some weedless jigheads and you won't hang up and disturb the pile. If it does hang, don't force it. Drop a weight down the line to knock it loose...work it patiently and it will come loose.

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12583953 01/18/18 07:11 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Ive been using rattles tied abt 12 inches above my jigs and having good results. I slide the rattles on, then a bead, then a swivel, on top of the rattles, a split shot sinker 1/8th oz. . I tie a 12 inch leader on, then a jig. The rattles clack against the bead, and themselves. I let it down, if no bite, shake it a bit, then hold still. I learned this technique a few years ago fishing LBJ. the fish were deep in the pile, and the shaking seemed to draw them out.
several, well many years back there was a product called the soundbite lure system. it was a rattler, that was electronic and make kind of a clicking sound,(when it worked). This sound really attracted the fish, but wasnt reliable. you really didnt know if it was working or not, because the water made the circuit work, and it was just jinky. Since then, there have been many improvements on the electronic version, but I believe they are more suited for the larger fish market, like striper and saltwater fish. It took some searching to find the rattles I wanted, but it was worthwhile, just another weapon in the armory, to try and put the shazizzle on the finicky crappie.
I figure the sound aspect is just possibly another triggering stimuli. I read somewhere that crappie have a lateral line, similar to bass.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: leanin post] #12584091 01/18/18 02:13 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
LP, that technique sounds interesting. Mind sharing where you buy these rattles? I would like to give that a go!

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: How long on a pile without a bite? [Re: stretch] #12584166 01/18/18 02:51 PM
Z
zig-zag Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
come on man- were do you get them? not nice too tease. hide2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide