Forums59
Topics1,037,829
Posts13,935,240
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? #12574891 01/12/18 04:57 AM
F
firefighter196965 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
- She nearly killed me in 04 when fishing under the highway bridge when a bass yanked my rod right from my hands, I reached to grab the rod, missed the side of the boat, ribs found it instead, over I go. Current pulls me under the boat, cant swim for some reason...left hand grabs the lower unit and I manage to pull myself back in. Look down and my braided line is wrapped around my legs which explains why I was sinking not swimming. Looked up to see Jerry Dean and Honey Hole crew asking if I was ok. I said yes except my pride and begged for them to not put that on TV. Went back to ramp and changed clothes, I always carry an extra set just for that reason. Went back to fishing! I wear life jackets now while fishing especially in rough waters!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12574983 01/12/18 12:04 PM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Back in the early 90's me and another guy was idling across the lake on one of those really foggy mornings using a compass where you could barely see past the bow of the boat. We could hear another boat running slow & he was upon us really quick. luckily the guy seen us at the last second, he shut down and swerved right and clipped the stern light off of my buddy's new boat. I remember the bow of that Ranger pointed up in the air coming on us, I had my right foot planted & was a hairs breath from going over the side, willing to take my chances in the water rather than under a Ranger hull.
My buddy was pretty hot, but stayed civil about the accident. The Ranger guy paid for the damage & all ended well.
We caught the heck out of fish that day on crankbaits.
Monticello will still fish good, but different, turning into a regular cold water lake. Looking forward to the new lake.

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12574999 01/12/18 12:44 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
We used to have some TFF Big Fish Tournaments on the lake in the mid 2000's.

Big fish takes the pot, We would have about 40 to 50 boats per event.

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575016 01/12/18 01:04 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
so so many...

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575028 01/12/18 01:15 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Only lake I ever fished and got a ticket from a game warden. Didn't have a throwable cushion. Dude went through my boat like a CIA agent. Still love the lake though.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575033 01/12/18 01:18 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

#MFGA
Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575035 01/12/18 01:18 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
So me and two customers at tied to a stump on the pipeline in Blundell where the creek crosses. It is about this time of year. Cold with a very light south wind blowing.

It is before daylight and we are tying on baits using a flashlight. I tell him to tie on a firetiger Bagley DB3 on one rod and a T-rig big worm on the other.

He gets the crankbait tied on first and sets it down across the back deck with the bait hanging in the water. Then he grabs his other rod and sits down next to me and starts rigging up his T-rig.

We are both sitting there quietly tying on baits and all of a sudden there is a big splash and his rod on the back deck goes shooting off into the lake. The boat has not moved. Neither one of us have moved. It is still dark as night and we both look at each other like What tha heck just happened!!

A fish had apparently grabbed his crankbait floating right beside the boat and jerked his rod off in the pond!! We waited until it was light and started casting all around the area. Never found it..... eeks

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12575039 01/12/18 01:20 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Only lake I ever fished and got a ticket from a game warden. Didn't have a throwable cushion. Dude went through my boat like a CIA agent. Still love the lake though.

I'll bet his name was Kenneth Hand. He gave me a couple tix over the years.

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575108 01/12/18 02:08 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
My dad first took me there when I was 12 in 1984. The one year they didn't run the plant(2015?) the fishing was the best I'd ever seen there. Maybe the good times are just starting!

The day after catching a lot of fish is still a good day.

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: Ken A.] #12575120 01/12/18 02:16 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I'll bet his name was Kenneth Hand. He gave me a couple tix over the years.

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: Ken A.] #12575128 01/12/18 02:21 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
So me and two customers at tied to a stump on the pipeline in Blundell where the creek crosses. It is about this time of year. Cold with a very light south wind blowing.

It is before daylight and we are tying on baits using a flashlight. I tell him to tie on a firetiger Bagley DB3 on one rod and a T-rig big worm on the other.

He gets the crankbait tied on first and sets it down across the back deck with the bait hanging in the water. Then he grabs his other rod and sits down next to me and starts rigging up his T-rig.

We are both sitting there quietly tying on baits and all of a sudden there is a big splash and his rod on the back deck goes shooting off into the lake. The boat has not moved. Neither one of us have moved. It is still dark as night and we both look at each other like What tha heck just happened!!

A fish had apparently grabbed his crankbait floating right beside the boat and jerked his rod off in the pond!! We waited until it was light and started casting all around the area. Never found it..... eeks

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575194 01/12/18 02:58 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
This is the lake where I really started to learn and get into fishing while my uncle was teaching me.

I think he and I were on it the second or third day it opened. I learned how to worm fish by drifting them 2-3 rods at a time while using a flasher to drop markers out to drift back through them. It was a blast.

I remember many days going into the feed/seed store and paying .25 cents to .75 cents to get in.

My uncle liked to troll if the drift bite was slow and I remember one day while my cousin was with us he caught a 6 lb walleye on a bomber wood bait. It left teeth marks in the bait.

Yes is was a walleye.Not sure how it got there. My uncle kept it and was talking about how good they were to eat. I will never forget that day.

When was 14 years old I finished 3 rd in a tournament there and that was the first taste of winning some money for me. I knew I was hooked after that.

I use to have some really good maps of the area before the lake was there from a friends dad who was building the bridge over the lake at the time. I wished I still had them. Great detail.

I also remember just a few days after the record 14 lb bass was caught. We drove in that morning to the longest line I have ever seen to this day there.

We made the second turn off the highway where there is a brick entrance now on the left and there were boats backed all the way up to there and we had several more come behind us.

Could not turn around. When we got to the gate I ask Thomas how many boats are here today ? He replied over 700 so far. I almost feel out of the truck. Most I have ever seen.

Kind of reminded me of Fork just after Mark Stephenson caught the state record.

It looked water turkeys on a school of fish. LOL

Lots of good memories from back in the days. I can remember those day easier that what I just did yesterday.

Whats up with that ???

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 01/12/18 03:05 PM.
Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575208 01/12/18 03:09 PM
B
bradnitro175 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Only on memorable trip.I had backed down the ramp waiting for the sun to rise.had the heater on blast cuz it was 19*.sun pops up and I can't get the truck out of park.manage to get it back up the ramp and proceeded to fish the discharge for a few hours.had ice hanging off the boat and managed 1 fish,but it was 9 something.I ended up having to tear the dash apart in the parking lot to get the truck running again.

Originally Posted by Trickster
BIG FAT BASS LIVES MATTER

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575241 01/12/18 03:28 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I've had numerous memorable days on Monti....but the weirdest thing we ever had happen to us one day I just so happen to be fishing with RedRanger. We had a phenomenal day throwing SB's back in the pad stems in Blundell and Smith...biggest went around 9lbs and best five was prob 35lbs. We headed in that evening around dusk and Red went up to get the truck and trailer. He backed onto the ramp and said that ladybugs had inundated my SUV. I had a white Chev Suburban and supposedly these critters were migrating or something and they were attracted to white color. They got in the SUV and I mean by the millions. You could open the doors and all you seen were ladybugs totally coating the door hinges, panels, everywhere that they could hide. When the door opened, you would have a shower of ladybugs fall all over the place. These darned critters stayed in the SUV for almost a year. Any time it was hot, they would come out of every nook and cranny there was. When cold outside, they were the best hiders in every compartment there was in the car. I killed prob 5 million of 'em, and they stunk to high heck when you grabbed them and shooed them out. They would put off some sort of gas that smelled like rust. I really thought we were gonna have to condemn the car! Needless to say, it was all worth it.....I guess. noidea

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend, Whats your memories of Monticello? [Re: firefighter196965] #12575245 01/12/18 03:30 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
First year of the THSBA we had an event there, 19* at launch. Fishing was TOUGH for the kids. My son and his partner managed one keeper close to time to check in, caught on an Alabama Rig. They both yelled and high fived each other and were really excited to finally have a keeper on a freezing day. All of this caught on a GoPro. Only 8-9 teams managed to get a keeper out of 80 teams. They finished 3rd in the AOY race that year out of 124 teams. Ill never forget it.

Proud to say my sons partner from that day now fishes for UT Tyler and my son is serving our country in the United States Army with the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, KY.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide