Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ulterra graph suggestions #12574872 01/12/18 04:23 AM
1bassdaddy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I'm getting fairly close to buying an Ulterra. When I do, I'll also be upgrading my graphs but I have no idea what the best matches might be.I'm sure there are multiple options/price-points and I'm open to any and all of them.
Thank you.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12574898 01/12/18 05:14 AM
T
Tjhook Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Helix and link those puppies!

Semper Fidelis
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12574952 01/12/18 11:04 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
will the Ulterra be the link version or just ipilot? If the link. You will need the 5 port hub and make sure that the fish finders are network units. For instance there is the G2 and G2N designator. The n stands for network. Helix would be fine and then you also have the helix mega units.

I recently went from a terrova to the new ulterra. I love it. I never realized how much deploying and stowing the trolling motor all day took out of you. Im much more refreshed after 8-10 hours of fishing.

Last edited by Bobby Milam; 01/12/18 06:03 PM.
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: Bobby Milam] #12574992 01/12/18 12:21 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
will the Ulterra be the link version or just ipilot? If the link. You will need the 5 port hub and make sure that the fish finders are network units. For instance the is the G2N and G2N designator. The n stands for network. Helix would be fine and then you also have the helix mega units.

I recently went from a terrova to the new ulterra. I love it. I never realized how much deploying and stowing the trolling motor all day took out of you. Im much more refreshed after 8-10 hours of fishing.

Bobby, I read your post on these subjects and know you're very current on Humminbird and Minnkota. I'm wanting an Ultrex and considered an Ulterra but the base appears very small and depending on the boat doesn't leave a lot of space for anchoring. Also I now have a MK maxxum and I'm afraid because of the size of the base I'll have some holes showing. Are these real issues ?

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12575007 01/12/18 12:53 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
will the Ulterra be the link version or just ipilot? If the link. You will need the 5 port hub and make sure that the fish finders are network units. For instance the is the G2N and G2N designator. The n stands for network. Helix would be fine and then you also have the helix mega units.

Bobby, I read your post on these subjects and know you're very current on Humminbird and Minnkota. I'm wanting an Ultrex and considered an Ulterra but the base appears very small and depending on the boat doesn't leave a lot of space for anchoring. Also I now have a MK maxxum and I'm afraid because of the size of the base I'll have some holes showing. Are these real issues ?
I know your question was to Mr milam, but you and I have the same boat. I went from the factory Maxxum to an Ultrex and the mounting holes lined up fine. I don't know if the Ulterra holes are similar though....for that, you need Milams response. But Maxxum to Ultrex you're good.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12575025 01/12/18 01:12 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I know your question was to Mr milam, but you and I have the same boat. I went from the factory Maxxum to an Ultrex and the mounting holes lined up fine. I don't know if the Ulterra holes are similar though....for that, you need Milams response. But Maxxum to Ultrex you're good.

Thanks Steez, like the idea of the trolling motor deploying itself but the base looks awfully small. I've seen guys dump their boat and use the trolling motor to bring the boat back into the courtesy dock which was pretty neat. The Ultrex has lift assist and like you said the holes will line up making the installation easier and that means a lot. Prolly oughta stick to the Ultrex.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12575523 01/12/18 05:59 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
No, the ulterra like the terrova has to sit further forward on the boat. I had to drill new holes. You can get around that by using a sliding mount which should bolt up to your old holes. What I did was to fill the holes with an epoxy then I covered the front of the boat in a non skid pad.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: Bobby Milam] #12575537 01/12/18 06:06 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
No, the ulterra like the terrova has to sit further forward on the boat. I had to drill new holes. You can get around that by using a sliding mount which should bolt up to your old holes. What I did was to fill the holes with an epoxy then I covered the front of the boat in a non skid pad.

Steez pointed out an Important point, the holes for my Maxxum will match up with the Ultrex and I won't have to drill more holes or patch any. A self deploying TM is certainly nice and I've seen them in action but I better stick with the Ultrex. Thanks for your help though Bobby.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12575688 01/12/18 07:46 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Self deploy is nice but its still electric steer on the ulterra. If you are comfortable with foot control it would be wise to go the ultrex route.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12576082 01/13/18 01:21 AM
1bassdaddy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Bobby...Travis thank you! Any other opinions/suggestions on the original question?

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12576094 01/13/18 01:30 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy
Bobby...Travis thank you! Any other opinions/suggestions on the original question?
to the original question....sorry.

I have the iPilot Link and bought it planning on linking to my Helix units. I linked it on my old boat and it was ok. I found the iPilot Link features to be less important to me and on my new boat I opted to go with the Ultrex and Lowrance HDS stuff. The follow the contour is fun...but needed it so little that I don't miss it. Also, the saving of tracks and spot locks is over rated too.

These are my opinions. I'm sure someone has the Helix/Solix/whatever series and iPilot Link and thinks these features are worth their weight in gold. I thought it would be, and live without it fine.

I suggest you get Birds and Link it up....you might like it. Might not...but having the option would be worth at least having once to try it.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12576114 01/13/18 01:45 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Only other thing I would ad, if you are able to install your electronics yourself you will save a ton of money buying them online. Most offer free shipping and no taxes. For instance, I will save $186 on taxes alone for an Ultrex. Check out ebay for whatever you plan on buying just check their feedback, location and research what you're buying to make sure it's exactly what you're wanting. I'd like to have back everything I've spent at BPS in taxes. As far as installation, you can find all you need to know on youtube. I learned how to change the oil and all the filters on my SHO on youtube and bought all the parts on ebay. I learned from another TFF'er he pays $600 to have his oil and filters change at a dealer and has to drop it off to them. Takes me about 15 minutes.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12576117 01/13/18 01:46 AM
1bassdaddy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Steez...exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm not sold on needing the link option...I currently have iPilot on a Terrova and I'm happy with it. But I'm also running a Lowrance graph with and external transducer and I'm thinking I need to switch to 'Birds and take advantage of the transducer that is integrated into the unit.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12576122 01/13/18 01:52 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: 1bassdaddy
to the original question....sorry.

I have the iPilot Link and bought it planning on linking to my Helix units. I linked it on my old boat and it was ok. I found the iPilot Link features to be less important to me and on my new boat I opted to go with the Ultrex and Lowrance HDS stuff. The follow the contour is fun...but needed it so little that I don't miss it. Also, the saving of tracks and spot locks is over rated too.

These are my opinions. I'm sure someone has the Helix/Solix/whatever series and iPilot Link and thinks these features are worth their weight in gold. I thought it would be, and live without it fine.

I suggest you get Birds and Link it up....you might like it. Might not...but having the option would be worth at least having once to try it.

I went with the HB simply to link with the Ultrex but so far I wish I had stayed with my Lowrance. Much easier to navigate. Hopefully it get better but I miss the touch screen already. No buttons to push and the Navionics works better on Lowrance too. I'll pay the price though to get the Ultrex. Glad I'm doing all this stuff now while the weather is so $hitty.

Re: Ulterra graph suggestions [Re: 1bassdaddy] #12576126 01/13/18 01:54 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I use the US2 transducer that is built into my Ultrex on the Lowrance units. Just get the adapter. Keep in mind though...it only does sonar with the US2.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide