Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
To Trailer or Not in Tournaments #12570494 01/09/18 03:49 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
...this subject seems to be taking away from another imporetant thread so I thought it might be nice to discuss it on it's own merits ......

WHY do tournament organizers feel the need to have contestants all leave from the same ramp area ?

with polygraphs it can't be a cheating thing ..... is it just the idea of having 200+ boats in a small cove to get a picture ?
I have never fished a tournament out of Lake Fork Marina on Fork where it was a numbered launch,,, but suspect that has got to be one big cluster ------.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570500 01/09/18 03:53 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
1. To help prevent cheating
2. To conduct livewell checks to help prevent cheating
3. Makes all anglers make decisions about where to fish based on conditions and launch locations, there is a LOT more decision making in tournaments than just how to catch a fish
4. a big part of tournament fishing is time management, where are you launching, where are you going to fish, how long does it take to get there, how long does it take to get back......this is part of the game

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570525 01/09/18 04:03 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
i just don't buy that it prevents cheating at all, if there's someone who wants to cheat, they're gonna cheat around whatever system is in place unless you put a marshall on every boat. If you're gonna cheat good enough to win, you better be good at beating a poly.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570529 01/09/18 04:05 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Why cant grown men make their own decisions on if it is too bad to run?
Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions and quit trying to dictate to others because they think it is more important to trailer and make it "safe"?

If you don't like taking off at the same launch point, find a circuit that allows trailering and caters to your needs/wants. Don't try to over-regulate others who don't have a problem with it. I'm a grown man, I can make my own decisions regarding weather and to run or not run.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570540 01/09/18 04:09 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We each have our own beliefs about it....but I personally believe that it deters cheating and keeps those that might be on the fence about it on the right side. You can cheat just enough to get a check but not to win in order to avoid the risk of polygraphs. I have tournament fished for 17 years and on many lakes and many states and have never had an issue starting from one ramp and being required to safely run a lake from one end to the other to get to where I have wanted to fish. I don't understand the desire to have tournaments trailering events. Run to where you can safely fish based on the conditions, don't practice 30 miles up the lake if there is potential for the wind to blow or have a back up area. If you have to go from one end to the other and it is windy.....do it safely and give yourself time to get back. Understand you and your equipment's capabilities and limitations.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570548 01/09/18 04:12 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I think it could prevent some from cheating. But Ted your also right. Not a big concern for me, as I believe 99.9% of the anglers would not. I am not a fan of trailering unless weather dictates it. Stop and think how many 200+ boat tournaments happen each year, its a lot. I don't think there is any immediate danger from not trailering.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570555 01/09/18 04:16 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Everything Jeff said, plus it's part of the experience of competition. Seeing who you're up against, chatting at the dock with your friends, the spectacle of 200 to 400+ people standing in their boats among the mist and navigation lights as the national anthem is played before everyone fires up to launch is a major part of the competition day to me. Start on your hole tournaments just don't feel the same and I think it takes some of the most interesting unknowns and variables out of the game.

Yet, many don't care about the pageantry and the nonsense of a large take-off. That's why there are many trails to choose from, including basically every big bass tournament ever hosted, that cater to a more casual approach.

I don't think that it would be universally safer to trailer every event all the time because travel by roadway is not perfectly safe either.

Scott Jones
Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570603 01/09/18 04:38 PM
buda13 Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
No need to reinvent the wheel and make wholesale changes to a format that's worked for decades. Id hate to see over regulation change the sport as a knee jerk reaction following a tradgety. If anything, perhaps some improvement to the check in process to identify anglers missing more quickly would be beneficial.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570671 01/09/18 05:13 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I can sell my fast expensive boat and get a slow cheap one if we went to trailering!

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570786 01/09/18 05:54 PM
R
reinke Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I rather not trailer.

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570884 01/09/18 06:37 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I prefer not to trailer. I also prefer not to fish Tournaments in Jan and Feb. Some circuits start way to early in my opinion.

Thanks, Billy
Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570886 01/09/18 06:37 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
It's simple....if I draw boat #195 then I want to trailer. If I draw #5, I don't.

In all seriousness, trailering doesn't prevent cheating but does provide some relief and safety when fishing in bad weather conditions. I've fished Champs for many years and have always appreciated how they handle the trailering decisions. It can greatly reduce the runs people have to make to get to the locations they want to fish that day. Ask anyone who fished Champs on Ray Roberts last year if they would like to trailer. The weather was fine in the morning but changed as the day went on and on that run back to the marina in the afternoon we broke a graph mount, 1 rod and I think my spleen on our boat and we weren't alone from the ones I talked to after the event.

One other thought on not trailering...I personally love the giant group prayer and National Anthem being played in the morning before the launch. It still to this day gives me goose bumps and occasionally a few tears every time I get to experience it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570895 01/09/18 06:42 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I prefer not to trailer but would if it's an option for foul weather.

Last edited by SAKS; 01/10/18 03:55 PM.
Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: DBFishing83] #12570922 01/09/18 07:00 PM
D
Dax Davis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Hate trailering!! Everyone leave from the same spot!

Skeeter Boats
www.Diamondsportsmarine.com
Dobyns Rods
Burnin Stump Lodge Lake Fork
DaxDavisFishing Lake Fork Guide
Moritz Chevrolet
XciteBaits
Aftco
BAJIO Sunglasses

Re: To Trailer or Not in Tournaments [Re: Chris G] #12570974 01/09/18 07:29 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
Everything Jeff said, plus it's part of the experience of competition. Seeing who you're up against, chatting at the dock with your friends, the spectacle of 200 to 400+ people standing in their boats among the mist and navigation lights as the national anthem is played before everyone fires up to launch is a major part of the competition day to me. Start on your hole tournaments just don't feel the same and I think it takes some of the most interesting unknowns and variables out of the game.

Yet, many don't care about the pageantry and the nonsense of a large take-off. That's why there are many trails to choose from, including basically every big bass tournament ever hosted, that cater to a more casual approach.

I don't think that it would be universally safer to trailer every event all the time because travel by roadway is not perfectly safe either.

*** this
and this ****

Originally Posted By: Chris G
It's simple....if I draw boat #195 then I want to trailer. If I draw #5, I don't.

In all seriousness, trailering doesn't prevent cheating but does provide some relief and safety when fishing in bad weather conditions. I've fished Champs for many years and have always appreciated how they handle the trailering decisions. It can greatly reduce the runs people have to make to get to the locations they want to fish that day. Ask anyone who fished Champs on Ray Roberts last year if they would like to trailer. The weather was fine in the morning but changed as the day went on and on that run back to the marina in the afternoon we broke a graph mount, 1 rod and I think my spleen on our boat and we weren't alone from the ones I talked to after the event.

One other thought on not trailering...I personally love the giant group prayer and National Anthem being played in the morning before the launch. It still to this day gives me goose bumps and occasionally a few tears every time I get to experience it.

These are the best 2 answers as to why or why not trailer.
all the cheating BS for not trailering, all the safety BS for trailering .... does not mean a hill of beans
polygraph takes care of cheating
staff decisions based on weather takes care of safety
it is all about the pageantry, comradery, spectacle, pictures and other stuff that makes a tournament take-off worth doing.
BIG BASS tournaments don't do it ....... why, because BIG BASS tournys are a spectacle at the weigh in, not on the take off.
it goes back to the days of shotgun starts and all the "action" at the start of the tournament. It is the action that creates the adrenaline.
No action/adrenaline in a trailering event.

I certainly am not suggesting to trailer at all events ..... I like the excitement of the draw and getting number 155, getting at the ramp way too early, congestion at the boat ramp, trying to keep my boat from bumping into some $75,000 rig, popping blood pressure pills all the while showing off my 50hp Yamaha that gets me there just in time...... just can't wait. let's GO !!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide