Forums59
Topics1,037,831
Posts13,935,274
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety #12570423 01/09/18 03:07 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Reading all the comments about guys thinking that most/all tournaments should allow trailering for safety reasons. was just thinking through all of the other rules that could be put in place so that tournament trails are ensuring the safety of all anglers:

Trailering
On any tournament waters where stumps, rocks, ridges, humps, other obstacles might be present, no one can go more than 40 MPH
If the winds get over 15 MPH during the day, tournament weigh in hours will be extended so that all angers can safely and slowly make it back
If there is any lightning within 3 miles of the lake during the day, all anglers must seek shelter on the shore until there has been no lightning for 15 minutes
If the water temp is below 75 degrees all anglers must wear full body USCG approved mustang suits
If the co angler is not comfortable with the conditions or the boaters driving ability, he/she can use a tournament designated "safe word" and both will be refunded their money and not compete
No one can use a weight greater than 3/4 ounce to prevent any accidental head injuries

I'm sure their are other rules that can be implemented to ensure the safety of all anglers rather than relying on each angler using good judgment and making safe decisions on their own.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570469 01/09/18 03:37 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
if you have ever been to a tournament where the weather was really bad you will always have somebody that would want to go if there was a tornado on the boat ramp . trailering is not a cure all there has to be some common sense used which is not very prevalent if you have seen a week night tournament shot gun start. you would think the folks are fishing for a million dollars. it is amazing that more bad things dont happen than they do. the two guys that started the tournament in fl. had no idea one would be thrown out of the boat an the other end up in the water. these guys don't get a do over.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570485 01/09/18 03:42 PM
T
Troyz Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: JeffLStevens
Reading all the comments about guys thinking that most/all tournaments should allow trailering for safety reasons. was just thinking through all of the other rules that could be put in place so that tournament trails are ensuring the safety of all anglers:

Trailering
On any tournament waters where stumps, rocks, ridges, humps, other obstacles might be present, no one can go more than 40 MPH
All of the lake of just part? Water levels change on most lakes so hazards that are present at one level may not be level at another level.
If the winds get over 15 MPH during the day, tournament weigh in hours will be extended so that all angers can safely and slowly make it back
Who measures the wind and how would all anglers be notified. If winds are increasing, maybe weigh in time should be shortened but you have same problem with notification. Cell phones are not a reliable way to notify since service is not available in all areas.
If there is any lightning within 3 miles of the lake during the day, all anglers must seek shelter on the shore until there has been no lightning for 15 minutes
3 miles from what part of the lake. Cedar Creek is approximately 20 miles long. If lightning strikes 3 miles North of the North end of lake, anglers on the South end would be 23 miles away and still have to go ashore. How would anglers know how close lightning is to them?
If the water temp is below 75 degrees all anglers must wear full body USCG approved mustang suits
75 degrees on what part of the lake? Water temps vary considerably from one part of the lake to the next
If the co angler is not comfortable with the conditions or the boaters driving ability, he/she can use a tournament designated "safe word" and both will be refunded their money and not compete
No one can use a weight greater than 3/4 ounce to prevent any accidental head injuries

I'm sure their are other rules that can be implemented to ensure the safety of all anglers rather than relying on each angler using good judgment and making safe decisions on their own.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570492 01/09/18 03:48 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
If you are an adult and know how to take care of yourself then you should have enough common sense to operate a vessel and also take the appropriate measures to fish in colder weather.

Over regulating tournaments isn't the answer at all and yes, IMO, that list is over regulating and borderline ridiculous...

#MFGA
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570501 01/09/18 03:54 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Things happen on the water and it doesn't take long. I don't like shot gun starts, I think certain trails should be quicker to push the trailer button sometimes but I understand. I speared a wave captaining in hs tourney on pk coming thru the Broadway area. Had nose up, doing 25 or so for a second figured I lost a kid. They are big machines, lakes can get bad quick, cold water in dangerous and it's a big boy sport sometimes. I think whenever something happens like in Florida it gives us all pause. You aren't gonna make it 100 percent safe. You hope better judgment prevails but it is what it is.

And I'm not advocating trailering above, I just think if you are gonna declare an event trailer don't wait till last minute. There are 10 day forecasts and such.

Last edited by WAWI; 01/09/18 04:37 PM.
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570504 01/09/18 03:55 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
And I'm sure the op is being sarcastic with suggestions

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570510 01/09/18 03:57 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I smell Sar-Chasm

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: Douglas J] #12570511 01/09/18 03:58 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
If you are an adult and know how to take care of yourself then you should have enough common sense to operate a vessel and also take the appropriate measures to fish in colder weather.

Over regulating tournaments isn't the answer at all and yes, IMO, that list is over regulating and borderline ridiculous...

Hate agreeing with Doug bang

You are responsible for yourself, you make the call that best fits you.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: Fish Killer] #12570514 01/09/18 03:59 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Hate agreeing with Doug bang

You are responsible for yourself, you make the call that best fits you.

I WIN!!!

You finally agreed with me woot

#MFGA
Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570551 01/09/18 04:15 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
yes....this was pure sarcasm but intended to prove a point. Once you start making rules to override common sense of anglers and putting the ownership of safety on the tournament trail instead of on the individual.....where does it stop? All of the suggestions I made COULD be implemented to make tournament fishing more safe for the anglers......but when it comes down to it, we are running fast boats, fishing big lakes, will never be stronger than mother nature and the ONLY thing that will keep us safe is our own decisions and knowing what we can/should or can not/should not do.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570569 01/09/18 04:23 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Don't like the regulating stated above but I am for trailering during tournaments. A person fishing for fun will typically use common sense but put 150 boats or more on the water competing for a single goal and although the common sense is still there it get's ignored. That is the choice of the angler and that choice could end up with consequences that he will have to deal with. Accidents will still happen regardless of any safety protocols put in place.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: SAKS] #12570588 01/09/18 04:29 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: SAKS
Don't like the regulating stated above but I am for trailering during tournaments. A person fishing for fun will typically use common sense but put 150 boats or more on the water competing for a single goal and although the common sense is still there it get's ignored. That is the choice of the angler and that choice could end up with consequences that he will have to deal with. Accidents will still happen regardless of any safety protocols put in place.

You can always choose not to participate, you can always choose to put the trolling motor down and fish where you are. To be honest if I'm gonna get beat by someone fishing 40 miles from the launch I'd at least like them to suffer the beating and expense of the run rather than be warm in their truck drinking coffee all the way.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570612 01/09/18 04:44 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
No need to reinvent the wheel and make wholesale changes to a format that's worked for decades. Id hate to see over regulation change the sport as a knee jerk reaction following a tradgety. If anything, perhaps some improvement to the check in process to identify anglers missing more quickly would be beneficial.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570636 01/09/18 04:58 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
L
Just because the guy was a pro we have no idea of his level of boating experience. No need to change the sport because one guy made what turned out to be a wrong decision.

Re: Trailering at Tournaments and other rules for safety [Re: JeffLStevens] #12570645 01/09/18 05:02 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think our local big trails do a good job at trailering already. Trailering isn't going to stop a hero from crossing the lake to his hot spot if there is no close ramp to use. What happens when they trailer and the same guy makes a bad decision and has an accident?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide