Re: Dang it! [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12568605 01/08/18 02:44 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Got blood work back from the Doc.

Cholesterol 273. Not sure good vs. bad but she said the good was "normal". BP for the last 30 days averaged 140/90. BMI is 28.6 so at 6'4 235 I am "overweight". Sugars were "borderline high" and she took more blood to look into that deeper.

So I have my work cut out for me. Gonna get this under control this year or else in 20 years I am going to stroke out or have a heart attack. She suggested a Mediterranean type diet so I have looked into that and it will be a big change but its something I can do and stay with... I like fish and whole grains, and wine ha ha. (In Moderation of course!)

The worst part is no more instant noodles, no more pho, no more french fires, burgers are out lol.

Wish me luck yall!

Best of luck with the transition! I had an in depth convo with my doc about BMI. BMI is a farce utilized by the insurance companies that applies to the "majority" and the majority has never been truly defined and continues to change and evolve. My doc said yes however we are obligated to go by that as the baseline. Fortunately he has some common sense and knows it does not apply to everyone. If you were an athlete growing up, still train some, and maintain some level of muscle (lean muscle mass) it will throw the BMI charts off. A friend is 6'2" and 252. Measured body fat is 5% (which is very low for a 50 y.o.) and the BMI charts show him as overweight/obese. Point being make the changes based on cholesterol/sugars rather than scale weight. Sugar issues are genetic as are cholesterol. Good thing is both can be controlled by food/fuel/hydration and increased activity.

Big bones? Big muscles?

True, but that is not the "normal" 50 year old build.

'Athletic build' and active. Define "normal". I am 5'8" 165# with 6% body fat. According to BMI charts and my doc I 'register' as moderately overweight. Of course the nurse and my doc get a giggle out of that and we move along to the next part of the physical. Point being as we age our set point for weight increases. BMI charts do not account very well for that and the only true way to tell is to have a reputable body composition test done. In lieu of that your clothes and the general way a person feels are best gauges rather than scale weight. Unless there is +/- 10# fluctuation most general practitioners will not say a word about body weight unless the gain/loss is sudden.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12568674 01/08/18 03:23 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
One thing that helps with cholesterol levels...

Purple pigmented foods/drinks truly lower cholesterol.

Drink grape juice, and/or tart cherry juice. Beet juice will help, but I went through my "beet" phase, and as good as they are for us, I hate the flavor.

Addendum: Added bonus: tart cherry juice helps with joint aches!

...------

Re: Dang it! [Re: H2O Seeker] #12568697 01/08/18 03:37 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

'Athletic build' and active. Define "normal".

Most 50 year olds don't fit this mold. Not in Texas.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Dang it! [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12568878 01/08/18 05:34 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

'Athletic build' and active. Define "normal".

Most 50 year olds don't fit this mold. Not in Texas.

Could not agree more and that's their damned problem - choices choices choices - I have been choosing a new way to eat since September. Down 28 pounds, blood sugar has improved, getting off my cholesterol meds soon and feel better than I can explain.

No question I had to cut stuff out of my diet...I went a little far with that at first but now it is totally normal for me to enjoy a meal with out any simple sugar and or for the most part carbs that do not come from vegetables.

All it takes is a choice - we all know that. I am particularly motivated to enjoy my 70's if I am lucky enough to get there. If you are 70 and fat...no way you are going to enjoy your life to the fullest IMO.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12568986 01/08/18 06:30 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Krawlin good work man!

Choices indeed right? We all have them, and we all, for the most part, know the good from bad. But do we have the will power to side with the good?

When you talk about enjoying yourself into your older age its a great goal! Do I want to be enjoying myself fishing when I am 70 or 80 or even older? Or dead at 55 or 60 from a heart attack...choice is mine.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12570279 01/09/18 01:33 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Do I want to be enjoying myself fishing when I am 70 or 80 or even older?

I got to fish with Tommy Martin a few years back. He jumped from his boat over the edge to the concrete below (as we were unloading at the ramp).....I was like WOW....that is amazing. I asked how old he was...he replied 72. I realized then I need to watch myself if I want to be like Tommy when I am 72. I remember that motivation well.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Dang it! [Re: krawlin 47] #12570300 01/09/18 01:49 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47

Could not agree more and that's their damned problem - choices choices choices - I have been choosing a new way to eat since September. Down 28 pounds, blood sugar has improved, getting off my cholesterol meds soon and feel better than I can explain.

They said on the news last night making the decision and having a positive attitude have a 50% better chance of weight loss. Half of the weight loss in the attitude!!

Good job!!

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12570306 01/09/18 01:52 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Krawlin good work man!

Choices indeed right? We all have them, and we all, for the most part, know the good from bad. But do we have the will power to side with the good?

When you talk about enjoying yourself into your older age its a great goal! Do I want to be enjoying myself fishing when I am 70 or 80 or even older? Or dead at 55 or 60 from a heart attack...choice is mine.

Last night on the news they also talked about a new study....mid age people (40-65) who never worked out....who start 5 hours of moderate workouts a week can decrease their risk of heart disease or complications by starting a regimen and reversing the conditions they acquired over 40 years. That is great news for the folks who are just joining the lifestyle!!

Re: Dang it! [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12570509 01/09/18 03:57 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Krawlin good work man!

Last night on the news they also talked about a new study....mid age people (40-65) who never worked out....who start 5 hours of moderate workouts a week can decrease their risk of heart disease or complications by starting a regimen and reversing the conditions they acquired over 40 years. That is great news for the folks who are just joining the lifestyle!!

I saw that report as well. Was interesting. Basically said you can make the heart younger again.

Good to know!

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12570675 01/09/18 05:16 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
50-years-old+ and Texans and athletic build/active don't go together?

For many of us, 50+ and athletic build/active do go together.

That's why the "health" section was created.

...------

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12572014 01/10/18 02:17 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Well its been one week and I am down to 228! 7lbs in a week!?

Been doing really well on the diet. Smoothie/fruit/protein shake for breakfast. Been having big salads with NO BS (cheese, croutons, ranch dressing etc.) for lunch. Just veggies and some Olive oil and vinegar.

Dinner has been baked fish and veggies each night. Good think I just stocked up on blue cats! ha ha. Got a freezer full. Been having an apple or pear if I get really hungry but with the amount of water I am drinking thats not common. Have not really been on the exercise much but I do get 13k+ steps a day. Take the dog on 1.5 hour long walk each day... its not grueling but hey its moving lol.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12572074 01/10/18 02:49 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
13k steps is great. The days I break 10k are very active days, mowing, ridding, or doing chores around the house. Most days I probably avg around 5-6k.

I just wish it did better counting them on the bicycle, I know I can either get 10k doing a 4 mile run, or about 30 on the bike.

I need to get back on a health diet, salads for lunch are a good start.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12572170 01/10/18 04:09 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Have ya'll thought about a Sit/Stand desk?

I can point you in the right direction. One girl I walked past last week had her monitor stacked up high...no sit and stand. She said she didn't want the sitting option....so she wouldn't be tempted.

Pair that with a balance steppie board and you can really get some calorie burn and muscles during the work hours.

Re: Dang it! [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12572819 01/10/18 11:03 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Well its been one week and I am down to 228! 7lbs in a week!?

Been doing really well on the diet. Smoothie/fruit/protein shake for breakfast. Been having big salads with NO BS (cheese, croutons, ranch dressing etc.) for lunch. Just veggies and some Olive oil and vinegar.

Dinner has been baked fish and veggies each night. Good think I just stocked up on blue cats! ha ha. Got a freezer full. Been having an apple or pear if I get really hungry but with the amount of water I am drinking thats not common. Have not really been on the exercise much but I do get 13k+ steps a day. Take the dog on 1.5 hour long walk each day... its not grueling but hey its moving lol.

Great progress keep on keepin' on!

Don't be afraid to have a "cheat" day. You will be much more successful in the long haul. I and many I know attempt to live by the 80/20 fueling rule. 80% of the time eat clean which for most is Monday - Friday at lunch and 20% you can have what you want. In time the 20% becomes moderate and overindulgence isn't as fun anymore!

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Dang it! [Re: Nocona Brian] #12572909 01/11/18 12:04 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
13k steps is great. The days I break 10k are very active days, mowing, ridding, or doing chores around the house. Most days I probably avg around 5-6k.

I just wish it did better counting them on the bicycle, I know I can either get 10k doing a 4 mile run, or about 30 on the bike.

I need to get back on a health diet, salads for lunch are a good start.

Have you looked into entering your biking manually? I think thats an option.

Strap the thing to your peddle maybe?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide