texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,896
Posts13,954,968
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Zwift Indoor Training #12564047 01/04/18 06:33 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I have to say, if you've got a bike, computer or ipad, a trainer, and some sort of speed, and cadence sensor, you owe it to yourself to download zwift for you indoor trainer rides.

I've got about the most basic setup you can have, a "dumb" trainer - Cycleops Fluid2, then an usb extension cord with the Ant+ dongle on the end to my laptop. You want one that's USB2. And then all you need are the sensors, not even the bike computer. I think there's also bluetooth sensors, maybe by Wahoo, but I don't know how those work.

From there the info those transmit, goes into Zwift where you put your age, height, weight, and it calculates your power. Everything on zwift is based off power. The neatest thing it does is compensates for drafting, and changing elevations. Granted with a dumb trainer you're still pedaling the same, but on the screen, everything you see reflects what it's calculating, and everyone around you is doing somewhat the same. So climbing a hill is still an rear end whipper. Like you can see here in the top right this is down hill at a -4% grade, so we're getting it pretty good, maybe a little too good but thats alright.

So with that, if you just want to rack up miles, you probably don't want to do it on Zwift since I know pedaling at 75ish RPM's on the big ring, and any of the 4 smaller cogs on the rear I should be going over 20mph. On Zwift, climbing up steep hills, it calculates to watts, so you may only go 10mph, but the inverse is on big descents, you haul.

All in all, I'm a fan. I'm still on the free trial, but I'm going to subscribe once its up. I did order a trainer tire after getting in on a race last weekend and putting a flat spot on my good tires.

Another neat feature is if you want to do a group ride, race or workout, just join one of the rides on the events page. There's nearly something starting every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12564311 01/04/18 09:32 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I can't make myself. I get my workouts in by running. I enjoy the outdoors too much to sit inside. I ride cause I like the thrill of it.

I haven't gotten on the trainer all winter. I am secretly boycotting it! smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12564432 01/04/18 11:07 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Man its freaking intense. I'm planning on doing a few races this year, and probably not any tri's, maybe just the local sprit tri, so I'm not too concerned on running.

I joined up in a crit race today, and got way in over my head. It was (7) 3ish mile laps after a big sprint start. I figure it's probably about as close to the real thing as you can get. Literally pedaling just about as hard as you can. I only made it about 6 miles before my heart was about to push through my chest. Think I don't have something set exactly right, it did figure my avg right under 24mph for what I rode before bailing out, I just don't think it should've been quite as hard as it was.

Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12564487 01/04/18 11:48 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
What are you doing off work at 10am? That's my question! smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12564720 01/05/18 02:32 AM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Sick kid today, got to stay home. Between today and being off for the holidays, I could get used to it!!

Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12565020 01/05/18 01:41 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
3 random Zwift rides throughout the day! NICE!! Did you ride every time the kiddo napped? smile

Could you imagine working from home?!

Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12565103 01/05/18 02:44 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
There'd be lots of riding... There's some guys here in WF, I have no idea what they do, but they're able to do 100 mile rides atleast once a week, either on the road or zwift, among all the other daily rides.

Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12565254 01/05/18 04:06 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
And another ride at 10pm last night! You maniac you! smile

Re: Zwift Indoor Training [Re: Nocona Brian] #12565313 01/05/18 04:47 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Yeah how about that! I'd thought about why my HR blew up in the race at 2pm, and figured I go at it again alittle different. I kept it lower, but after eating a abnormally large dinner, it wasn't happening.

I'm going to try and do a FTP test this weekend, curious to see if it'll have an effect on how Zwift calculates my power going forward. As it is, I keep blowing up trying to keep up with people I feel I can hang with, so I'm hoping it recalculates it to something alittle more manageable. Think I need to start riding with the right category also, and just riding for fun. Although it is pretty exciting watching yourself on the TV battle against people from all over.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide