Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,657
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? #12560874 01/02/18 02:26 PM
C
ChrisPowellFishing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
With temperatures dropping and less anglers out on the water to help other fellow anglers with breakdowns, engine troubles, emergencies, or life threatening situations. This Surprisingly overlooked boat maintenance tip shouldnt be taken lightly. Press that play button and stay safe during your winter fishing adventures guys!

Subscribe to the channel!
www.youtube.com/c/ChrisPowellFishingTV
Like me on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/ChrisPowellFishing
Follow me on Instagram @ChrisPowellFishing
Giving you a better understanding of the sport we love!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12562340 01/03/18 01:48 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
you need to pull the bolts all the way out and put washers under the bolt heads.

and you might as well pull the engine and re silicone around the transom bolt holes.

been telling this to guys for 25 years. smile

glad you checked yours.. looks good.

another tip is to run the bolts from the inside to the out. makes it easier to keep the nuts tight.
on the inside there should be a very large flat washer.

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: steve@S2Marine] #12563449 01/04/18 04:02 AM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: steve@hydrodynamics
you need to pull the bolts all the way out and put washers under the bolt heads.

and you might as well pull the engine and re silicone around the transom bolt holes.

another tip is to run the bolts from the inside to the out. makes it easier to keep the nuts tight.

Good info. Thanks for the tip! I will look in to that!

Like me on Facebook!
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: steve@S2Marine] #12563730 01/04/18 03:06 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

Yep depending on how long its been like that your transom may already have gotten water in it and look like this guys http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...om#Post12149280

Last edited by Bossbowman; 01/04/18 03:06 PM.
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12563746 01/04/18 03:15 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Spinning those bolts breaks the silicone seal so your transom will leak. It's best to spin the nut and not the bolt if possible or take one out, reseal it and tighten, then go to the next one. I strongly suggest you do that. Because your transom will end up with water in it and it can rot or freeze and bust the glass.

Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: SC-001] #12563772 01/04/18 03:27 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Yep depending on how long its been like that your transom may already have gotten water in it and look like this guys http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...om#Post12149280

Oh wow that was pretty bad! Thankfully mine was not that bad. I had mine on the water the very next day, Which was (December 30th) I was out there for about 5 hours with no leaks and no issues. I felt like it even rode better.... LOL
But just the thought of every bolt holding my motor on was that loose was pretty terrifying! I m surprised I didnt have an accident or the motor coming completely off. The good Lord was watching out for me I guess! I will definitely be checking on this more often!

Like me on Facebook!
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12563773 01/04/18 03:27 PM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Looks like you aren't far from a rusted out trailer. I just had to replace mine after Texoma minerals ate it. Went all aluminum this time.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12563847 01/04/18 04:15 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Oh wow that was pretty bad! Thankfully mine was not that bad. I had mine on the water the very next day, Which was (December 30th) I was out there for about 5 hours with no leaks and no issues. I felt like it even rode better.... LOL
But just the thought of every bolt holding my motor on was that loose was pretty terrifying! I m surprised I didnt have an accident or the motor coming completely off. The good Lord was watching out for me I guess! I will definitely be checking on this more often!

Just because its not leaking into the bilge doesn't mean its not leaking into the transom, get the motor and bolts pulled and seal with 3M 4200, do not use silicone it won't last.

Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: fish4bass] #12563888 01/04/18 04:44 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Looks like you aren't far from a rusted out trailer. I just had to replace mine after Texoma minerals ate it. Went all aluminum this time.

Haha! yup she is old and ugly and starting to look her age... Thankfully its mosty surface rust. Those aluminum trailers are game changers! It should work great for you.

Like me on Facebook!
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: SC-001] #12563895 01/04/18 04:52 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
[quote=ChrisPowellFishing]

Just because its not leaking into the bilge doesn't mean its not leaking into the transom, get the motor and bolts pulled and seal with 3M 4200, do not use silicone it won't last.[/quote

Great point, Thats interesting I m gonna have to check that out. Thanks for your input! It might save me a headace in the long run.

Like me on Facebook!
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12564140 01/04/18 07:38 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Didn't watch the video., but what these guys are telling you is for real. Likely, the videoclip you made to help us, is gonna help you more. That said, it's only gonna help you if you listen to them. Pull the bolts, pull the motor dry out the transom before it's too late....if it isn't already. Sealing the moisture into the walls is the worst thing you can do.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12564535 01/05/18 12:20 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Don't think I have ever seen the bolts inserted with the nuts on the inside of the transom.

Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12565090 01/05/18 02:34 PM
T-racer @ Mallard Marine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
These tips about 3M 4200.... life saving. Do it. Do not neglect it. Re seal all those bolts and make sure transom is dry.

Mallard Marine Nacogdoches, Tx
936-225-3244 - Authorized Sales/Service
Mercury Outboards - Allison Boats
Re: OVERLOOKED Boat Maintenance! How did I not have a wreck!?? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #12565301 01/05/18 04:35 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Thanks for the heads up guys! I m definitely gonna check this out in the next couple days and get me some 3M 4200!! Yall have a blessed day!

Like me on Facebook!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide