Forums59
Topics1,037,831
Posts13,935,274
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #12561048 01/02/18 03:58 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Creek crappie fishing sucks. It's not worth your time.

ha

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Waco Crappie] #12561735 01/03/18 12:33 AM
T
Tony from Oak Point Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Checked out a few "crappie" creeks yesterday that were either partially frozen or completely covered in ice!

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Waco Crappie] #12562138 01/03/18 05:32 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Went by white rock creek today.. no rods in hand!? On the clock! Did not see any crappie pulled out but saw some huge gizzards pulled.. all snagged.. looks like close to game on.?! When the the rock starts showing some love means better hit your favorite creek.. just saying

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: butch sanders] #12562147 01/03/18 05:44 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Creek crappie fishing sucks. It's not worth your time.

ha
im not kidding. Been at winter crappie in creeks and on the lakes for years. Id rather hit the lake by the dam in the winter and hit the sandbass run in spring.

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: KidKrappie] #12562190 01/03/18 07:25 AM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
Originally Posted By: leanin post
just like the spawn, water temp has nothing to do with where wintertime crappie are located.

Water temp has everything to do with both. hmmm

http://www.in-fisherman.com/biology/science-of-shad-winterkill/

water temp doesnt get cold enough long enough in texas for temp to have much of an affect on shad. I couldnt count how many times I recall reading that shad start to die off at around 52 degrees, and the science in the above article proves this is simply not true. if water temp dictated where shad were all winter, I could go to one creek on waco thats always warmer than everywhere else, and there should be so many crappie back there you could walk across them.
Same thing with spawn, ive heard legends like charlie pack, to whitey outlaw saying that crappie always go to warmer water to spawn, and will be in shallow water, NOT TRUE. You can watch old videos
of charlie pack fishing creeks on lake waco, and not catching fish, scratching his head while saying, with the water temp at 60, they should be here. yet they werent.
I believe the availability of a food source for the shad such as plankton and daphnia, (ever heard of them)? have a much larger part in where shad and crappie will be, all thru the year. Daphnias rise and fall in the water column according to sunlight penetration . As humans we tend to think in terms of what would be acceptable survival conditions for us, not fish. Ive seen goldfish frozen solid in a birdbath for a whole day, and when it thawed out, they were swimming around like nothing happened. Todd Huckabee made a u tube vid and said if it depended on water temp, the crappie up north in canada would never spawn, and he is right.
Crappie are usually never too far away from thier food source, and shad are never too far away from thier food source, no matter what the water temp.
Same with summertime fishing in the blazing heat, folks think crappie are sitting on top of the piles in the morning because its 5 degrees cooler in the first couple feet of surface water than it is at high noon. The temp has nothing to do with it, its the light penetration and where the food source are hanging at.
Just some things to think about when you fish a creek for 3 days and dont catch a fish, but its 5 degrees warmer than everywhere else youve fished on the lake.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Waco Crappie] #12562316 01/03/18 01:36 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Well I have found that to not be the case. I can promise you with this below freezing weather the last few days, there has been some shad die off. To each their own sir.

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Waco Crappie] #12563920 01/04/18 05:17 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
I have run across it one time in the winter on sunny days in the back of a creek when fishing jerkbaits for bass and start smashing big crappie in 5-8 foot of water. Water temps around 47. Had to bump the stump with the jerkbait.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: leanin post] #12574905 01/12/18 05:36 AM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Wow I wondered for years what those dang things were that looked like plankton or maybe mayfly hatch, mussel eggs heck I never heard of ...Daphnia... I searched for hours one day,I looked at so many pics, ask question to friends and even called TPW after I had caught some live in a water bottle, They didn't seem interested in helping at all. So I gave up. I have seen these thing get so thick in swarms they look like someone dumped a 5 gallon bucket of muddy water in the lake ..I have also seen catfish working thick swarms from the underside and gulls working over the top. It took a second or 2 to figure why we were getting hits or catching hybrids casting into the swarms we didn't start catching fish until we down scaled or lures and then we only caught catfish. It was years ago on Lake Ray Hubbard when all this happen.. I had kept detailed records for 30 years or more starting back in the late '70s form all the lakes I fished..It was always around late the first of March of every year when you I would see them around the old Power plant discharge area {mostly back when it ran).. We also started seeing them all across the lake on warm days up into March but not in swarms, just specs in the water . Most people probably never noticed the "specs" in the clear water ..Since they are mostly clear in their body.. They are hard to see unless the suns high over head and you are really looking for them, easy to see if you suck up a few in a empty water bottle or minnow net .

Thanks leanin post you solved one of my old mysteries.

I think the most important thing for a fisherperson can do is be open to something new try and learn something new every day.As I get older its seems harder to do but today I did

I have seen the same things in creeks, we have broken 1/2 ice sheets to get into some of the creeks above Lake Lavon and literally killed them in 5 to 8 fow in January many years ago. It was good ever year as long as water levels were high enough to get into creeks from the lake.

I find here on Cedar Creek Lake that we catch crappie in December,January,febuary regardless of water temps in 8 to 14 fow range. Im sure it may not be where the majority of the crappie hang out but they are there in good numbers many times..Thx guys for all the info.
just like the spawn, water temp has nothing to do with where wintertime crappie are located.

water temp doesnt get cold enough long enough in texas for temp to have much of an affect on shad. I couldnt count how many times I recall reading that shad start to die off at around 52 degrees, and the science in the above article proves this is simply not true. if water temp dictated where shad were all winter, I could go to one creek on waco thats always warmer than everywhere else, and there should be so many crappie back there you could walk across them.
Same thing with spawn, ive heard legends like charlie pack, to whitey outlaw saying that crappie always go to warmer water to spawn, and will be in shallow water, NOT TRUE. You can watch old videos
of charlie pack fishing creeks on lake waco, and not catching fish, scratching his head while saying, with the water temp at 60, they should be here. yet they werent.
I believe the availability of a food source for the shad such as plankton and daphnia, (ever heard of them)? have a much larger part in where shad and crappie will be, all thru the year. Daphnias rise and fall in the water column according to sunlight penetration . As humans we tend to think in terms of what would be acceptable survival conditions for us, not fish. Ive seen goldfish frozen solid in a birdbath for a whole day, and when it thawed out, they were swimming around like nothing happened. Todd Huckabee made a u tube vid and said if it depended on water temp, the crappie up north in canada would never spawn, and he is right.
Crappie are usually never too far away from thier food source, and shad are never too far away from thier food source, no matter what the water temp.
Same with summertime fishing in the blazing heat, folks think crappie are sitting on top of the piles in the morning because its 5 degrees cooler in the first couple feet of surface water than it is at high noon. The temp has nothing to do with it, its the light penetration and where the food source are hanging at.
Just some things to think about when you fish a creek for 3 days and dont catch a fish, but its 5 degrees warmer than everywhere else youve fished on the lake.

flehan frkazoid

Last edited by bullcrappie; 01/12/18 05:41 AM.

..The Original old style Side imaging sonar..
With 360* degree side scanning.
[Linked Image]
"
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: KidKrappie] #12575382 01/12/18 04:42 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Well I have found that to not be the case. I can promise you with this below
freezing weather the last few days, there has been some shad die off. To each their own sir.

can I ask, have you EVER seen thousands of dead shad floating on out texas lakes in winter ? , I dont know of a dead fish that doesnt float. If shad are dying off, someone, somewhere, somehow, should see dead floaters somewhere.. Now im sure people will say oh,, the birds eat them , or the fish gobble them up so fast that nobody ever sees the event, and I dont think that would fly.
I have always tried to keep an open mind, if you can find large numbers of dead shad, plz post pics and I will believe it.
Carey thorn fishes creeks alot around dallas, Ive followed him since he was guiding out of the back of his blue pick up truck, and read many of his articles. I cannot ever recall him posting a pic, of dead shad on any of the creeks he fishes or in the lake.
If im wrong , show me.
I have NEVER heard of or seen any guide or fisherman on any lake or creek finding shad frozen in ice, floating, caught dead in castnets, ect.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Ledeez] #12575389 01/12/18 04:47 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Ledeez
Went by white rock creek today.. no rods in hand!? On the clock! Did not see any crappie pulled out but saw some huge gizzards pulled.. all snagged.. looks like close to game on.?! When the the rock starts showing some love means better hit your favorite creek.. just saying

were these snagged shad dead or alive?

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: bullcrappie] #12575391 01/12/18 04:49 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
I dont make this stuff up in my spare time.. haha roflmao

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: leanin post] #12575437 01/12/18 05:13 PM
F
Fisherman Joe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: Ledeez

were these snagged shad dead or alive?

All Alive and they are huge, been like this for almost 3-4 weeks and people cut them up and tear yellow bass from WR creek.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Waco Crappie] #12575928 01/12/18 11:26 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Here's a couple articles that might be enlightening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threadfin_shad

There was a significant shad die off on Texoma a few yrs ago when water temps were below 38 degrees F for several weeks. The guide reports I read in the Whites-hybrid-striper section back then were talking about the die off and not being able to find any bait.

I've noticed when I have shad in a 5 gal bucket and they start to die, they first sink to the bottom. Someone might try that with this cold water, catch some threadfin shad, place in bucket, keep water cold and see what happens when they start to die. There's a definite difference in tolerance between threadfin and gizzard shad.

Could also PM some of the guides operating on Texoma and Tawakoni and ask what their observations have been with winter kill of shad.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Ken Gaby] #12576519 01/13/18 02:36 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

There was a significant shad die off on Texoma a few yrs ago when water temps were below 38 degrees F for several weeks. The guide reports I read in the Whites-hybrid-striper section back then were talking about the die off and not being able to find any bait.

I've noticed when I have shad in a 5 gal bucket and they start to die, they first sink to the bottom. Someone might try that with this cold water, catch some threadfin shad, place in bucket, keep water cold and see what happens when they start to die. There's a definite difference in tolerance between threadfin and gizzard shad.

Could also PM some of the guides operating on Texoma and Tawakoni and ask what their observations have been with winter kill of shad.

heres a question, did the fisherman just ASSUME that there was a massive shad die off because they could not locate the baitfish or did they find tangible proof. with all of the go pro movie producers, smart phone photographers, self proclaimed biologist frequenting our lakes SOMEONE should have pictures of this. heck even UFO enthusiasts have pictures.
If the baitfish die in cold water, when the lakes in the north of the country thaw, there should be millions of dead fish floating around every year. There are lakes in canada covered with a couple feet of ice, that big rigs drive over, these lakes are frozen for several months!!! Birds by the millions would gather to feast on this phenomenon, and it would be big news, yet ive never heard or seen of this.

Re: Crappie Shallow in the creeks in the Winter? [Re: Ken Gaby] #12576525 01/13/18 02:41 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

if you buy this then ^^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlMzNUDM8s

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide