Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Last Call for Monticello #12556831 12/30/17 04:52 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

My buddy Jim and I made the trip to Lake Monticello yesterday hoping to get one more trip on the lake with the power plant cranking out some warm water. Unfortunately my brother the Scoundrel could not join us like he has on so many past trips. Another buddy of mine and his son joined us as first-timers but I dont think they got a real taste of how good it could be/was. When we arrived at first light the Plant was all lit up like Christmas but the big stacks had no smoke and final shutdown appears to be already underway by the electric company.

We made the best of trip despite some cold weather trying the usual spots. Water temps ranged from 55-62 but was dropping during the day and with weather coming in for next week it should really drop fast. Struggled to put 8 decent fish in the boat and late in the afternoon one of our old holes produced a bunch of little fish. We did not fish the outlet but could see water was still flowing but no fog so I assume it was just cool runoff from the plant. Throughout the day I kept looking back at the stacks hoping I would see smoke billowing out but only memories from so many past trips.

We made one last stop on the way out and almost on script I caught my biggest fish of the day.
It was a very old fish, way past its prime, just like the lake.

Winter fishing will never be the same there with the power plant shutdown but its been a heck of a long and productive run.

I expect fishing in the future will still be good there during the other seasons but only time will tell, and time marches on.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556847 12/30/17 05:14 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Nice work. cheers

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556867 12/30/17 05:34 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
You are right it wont be the same without Monticello fishin in the winter. Some of my fondest memories are from that lake catching bass on a topwater plug while it was snowing.

Good times for sure!!

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556880 12/30/17 05:54 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I started fishing the lake Winter of 1974. I recall that year very well because my best friend bought a brand new GMC truck on his birthday in Nov of 1974 and we headed to Monty with a 14' Jonboat in the back. We called the 9.9 hp Sea King outboard Old Wheezer because thats how it sounded hen it was running. It wheezed & coughed & smoked a LOT!

The next year I bought my very first bass rig from a neighbor. It was a 15' Duckhawk, probably a '68 year model, with a 55 Chrysler. It had stick steering and a 28# thrust foot controlled MG troll motor. We thought we had died and gone to Heaven in that rig! We terrorized the bass for two years on Hubbard, Lavon, T-wok & Monty in that rig.

About two years later I moved up the the "big time" and bought a 4 year old 16' Ranger TR-10 with a Johnson 135. The boat was rated for 85 hp and my quest for a faster bass rig began. That rig would do a blistering 48 mph and lit a spark in me to go fast in a boat.

Lake Fork had opened by then and we started heading there on a regular basis. Many days we would start on Monty before daybreak then finish at Fork which put us 40 miles closer to home at the end of the day.

Unless my calculations are way off I have logged 972 trips to Monty over the years.

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556884 12/30/17 05:57 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Great report! I remember the good old days on Monticello. Sleeting, guides freezing up and dipping them in the water to thaw them out. Catching a fish and warming your hands on it.

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556891 12/30/17 06:12 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Wonder why the coal train would still be running if the plant is shut down. Hauling it to other coal plants? hmmm

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: Ken A.] #12556894 12/30/17 06:16 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I started fishing the lake Winter of 1974. I recall that year very well because my best friend bought a brand new GMC truck on his birthday in Nov of 1974 and we headed to Monty with a 14' Jonboat in the back. We called the 9.9 hp Sea King outboard Old Wheezer because thats how it sounded hen it was running. It wheezed & coughed & smoked a LOT!

The next year I bought my very first bass rig from a neighbor. It was a 15' Duckhawk, probably a '68 year model, with a 55 Chrysler. It had stick steering and a 28# thrust foot controlled MG troll motor. We thought we had died and gone to Heaven in that rig! We terrorized the bass for two years on Hubbard, Lavon, T-wok & Monty in that rig.

About two years later I moved up the the "big time" and bought a 4 year old 16' Ranger TR-10 with a Johnson 135. The boat was rated for 85 hp and my quest for a faster bass rig began. That rig would do a blistering 48 mph and lit a spark in me to go fast in a boat.

Lake Fork had opened by then and we started heading there on a regular basis. Many days we would start on Monty before daybreak then finish at Fork which put us 40 miles closer to home at the end of the day.

Unless my calculations are way off I have logged 972 trips to Monty over the years.

WOW on the 972! cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556895 12/30/17 06:18 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan

My buddy Jim and I made the trip to Lake Monticello yesterday hoping to get one more trip on the lake with the power plant cranking out some warm water. Unfortunately my brother the Scoundrel could not join us like he has on so many past trips. Another buddy of mine and his son joined us as first-timers but I dont think they got a real taste of how good it could be/was. When we arrived at first light the Plant was all lit up like Christmas but the big stacks had no smoke and final shutdown appears to be already underway by the electric company.

We made the best of trip despite some cold weather trying the usual spots. Water temps ranged from 55-62 but was dropping during the day and with weather coming in for next week it should really drop fast. Struggled to put 8 decent fish in the boat and late in the afternoon one of our old holes produced a bunch of little fish. We did not fish the outlet but could see water was still flowing but no fog so I assume it was just cool runoff from the plant. Throughout the day I kept looking back at the stacks hoping I would see smoke billowing out but only memories from so many past trips.

We made one last stop on the way out and almost on script I caught my biggest fish of the day.
It was a very old fish, way past its prime, just like the lake.

Winter fishing will never be the same there with the power plant shutdown but its been a heck of a long and productive run.

I expect fishing in the future will still be good there during the other seasons but only time will tell, and time marches on.

Good last trip and thanks for the pictures. Save them and show them to your grand children with all the stories that go with them.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: 361V] #12556900 12/30/17 06:20 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 361V
Wonder why the coal train would still be running if the plant is shut down. Hauling it to other coal plants? hmmm

Hauling it to Washington D.C. to build a fire under the Congressmen and Senators a$$ to get something done, lol.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12556908 12/30/17 06:27 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: 361V

Hauling it to Washington D.C. to build a fire under the Congressmen and Senators a$$ to get something done, lol.

The train is parked on the bridge, hasn't budged in at least a week.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: Ken A.] #12556912 12/30/17 06:28 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

You ain't that old Ken. If you went once a week for 52 weeks that means you fished Monti for a total of over 18 years. You added in your head didn't you, lol.

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 12/30/17 09:21 PM.

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12556913 12/30/17 06:28 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
TX Dan great memories at Monticello in Dec. Made my last 2017 trip and last hot water Monticello trip yesterday also and yesterday didnt let me down. After throwing a bearing buddy that I didnt notice until about to launch at 9, I finally got it fixed and got on the water around 11 with low expectations. Headed straight to the railroad creek with the water temps 50-58 back there. After getting broke off by a giant in the pad stems things started looking up. Moved out to the middle and ended up catching fish from noon until 3:30 almost nonstop. Found large school of prespawn fish stacked in the grass and lost count around 30 fish but guess I had at least 50 or so in the 3-8 lb range Key was yo-yo ing /ripping a white chatterbait off the bottom out of the grass. Was one of those phenomenal days and great way to cap off the end of an era.

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12557028 12/30/17 08:27 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I started fishing the lake Winter of 1974.

You ain't that old Ken. If you went once a week for 52 weeks that means you fished Monti for a total of over 18 years. You added in your head didn't you.

hmmm roflmao

Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: TxDanFishMan] #12557065 12/30/17 09:10 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
We were blessed to have a lot of fun lakes to fish "back in the day" before the population exploded. My first trip to Monticello was in January 1977, I was 8 years old and I will never forget it!

My last "good" trip when they were really generating was a couple years ago, man those were some fun days!!!

Just like those who never got to fish Fork, Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend or even most recently Falcon when they were "really good", it's really hard to explain just how good fishing used to be in Texas.

#MFGA
Re: Last Call for Monticello [Re: Rog] #12557080 12/30/17 09:25 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Rog
TX Dan great memories at Monticello in Dec. Made my last 2017 trip and last hot water Monticello trip yesterday also and yesterday didnt let me down. After throwing a bearing buddy that I didnt notice until about to launch at 9, I finally got it fixed and got on the water around 11 with low expectations. Headed straight to the railroad creek with the water temps 50-58 back there. After getting broke off by a giant in the pad stems things started looking up. Moved out to the middle and ended up catching fish from noon until 3:30 almost nonstop. Found large school of prespawn fish stacked in the grass and lost count around 30 fish but guess I had at least 50 or so in the 3-8 lb range Key was yo-yo ing /ripping a white chatterbait off the bottom out of the grass. Was one of those phenomenal days and great way to cap off the end of an era.

Sounds like you made the best of bad start and really whacked'em good,
there is definitely lots of good fish still out there but I'll be headed someplace warmer next time thumb

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide