Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yellowfin Tuna trip questions #12554490 12/28/17 07:48 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
I am trying to plan an offshore trip to catch a Yellowfin Tuna and I am looking for advice.
I have a Penn 114H on a 114 Ugly Stick and a Daiwa Jupiter Z6000 Spinning reel on a Saragosa rod (40# outfit).
And I have Diamond jigs, Tuna Poppers and large Circle hooks. So I think I have the equipment I need.

It looks to me like Galveston Party Boats is the best choice for me because:
It is the shortest drive although still 5.5 hours
I would like a trip that does not infringe on Sunday and doesn't last more than 36 hours.
I would like to be able to at least bring snacks on board to help avoid seasickness.
Galveston Party boats seems to have the best success ratio for Yellowfin for the hours spent on the boat.
The New Buccaneer seems to be the fastest of the offshore party boats.

Notes:
I will be going alone so charter would be kinda expensive as there would no one to share expenses with.
I was out on the Big "E" several years ago and have been on 12 hour party boats several times, so I have some experienced at offshore.
I would like a 36 hour trip max. Longer trip might be more than I can handle.
None of party boats seem to offer a menu that would prevent seasickness. All of them seem pretty greasy.
Some of the boats seem to have rather draconian restrictions. Like if they catch you with food they'll kick you off the boat.

I have one concern and that is if I get downwind of a smoker, I am going to chum. Won't stop me from fishing though.

Looking for suggestions.

RealBigReel
I don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12554522 12/28/17 08:07 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Both Galveston landings (New Buccaneer and Capt John) allow you to bring food & drinks (no alcohol) with you on the overnight tuna trips. A backpack with food & bottled water makes the trip more pleasant.

The Capt John has fold-out bunks in the galley for all 40 fishermen, where the New Buc takes up to 49 and does not have enough benches/bunks for everyone.

But, as you noted, the New Buc does seem to have better catches of YFT.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12554944 12/29/17 01:26 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Have you tried the scopalamine patch? It's prescription only, and can be a little pricey depending on insurance, but it works really well for me, even in relatively rough seas. For me it's completely worth the cost/hassle.

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12555017 12/29/17 02:07 AM
R
RealBigReel Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Tried Bonine. It was ineffective. I can usually get by without using anything as long as it isn't too rough and nobody blows smoke in my face.

RealBigReel
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12555255 12/29/17 04:28 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Scope >>>>>>> bonine, for me anyways. Different folks react in different ways.

That said, let us know what you end up with and how it goes. I'm looking to get get back into tuna fishing at some point. I miss fresh ahi.

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12555414 12/29/17 06:06 AM
D
Day0ne Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
The Capt John has fold-out bunks in the galley for all 40 fishermen, where the New Buc takes up to 49 and does not have enough benches/bunks for everyone.

I believe that the New Bucc now only takes as many people as there are benches for. As for food, I love the cheeseburgers on the New Bucc. Here is the menu for the New Bucc:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5.../galleymenu.pdf

I see some non greasy thing on it and they usually have other things that aren't on the menu. BTW, if you are prone to seasickness, your best bet are scopolamine patches.

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12555769 12/29/17 05:25 PM
C
chuck_w Offline
Angler
Angler
C
The trick with the patches is to start them 24 hours before the trip departs. Once you are underway it’s too late. Once you are underway Zofran is a good med to have on hand to help settle your stomach.

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12556691 12/30/17 02:02 PM
G
grescobia Offline
Angler
Angler
G
if you are going to get sick I would get a good breakfast to eat.It is better to have something in your stomach. you will recuberate faster than having the dry heaves.

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12557104 12/30/17 09:53 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Another question for you experienced Yellowfin fishers. How long does a fight last? I know it would depend on size but what can I expect?

RealBigReel
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12557235 12/31/17 12:08 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: RealBigReel
Another question for you experienced Yellowfin fishers. How long does a fight last? I know it would depend on size but what can I expect?

It really depends on the situation. Assuming that you have stout tackle with 50-80# line, good drag, and assuming that you know how to apply maximum pressure (short pumps, rod butt perpendicular to the line, etc) then a 50-80# yellowfin can be whipped in 20-30 minutes. But I've seen some fights take well over an hour because the angler wasn't using well-matched tackle, or they just didn't know how to apply pressure. I've had some 60# class fish take less than five minutes from hookup to gaff, and others take 45 minutes or more.

A big yellowfin will probably take longer of course, but good leverage will wear it down much faster.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12557679 12/31/17 07:37 AM
D
dolphinslayer1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
With your personal Requirements, I'd definately suggest fishing the buc with Capt Matt. He does a great job and puts people on the fish!

As far as sea sickness goes, if there are ANY concerns at all, I suggest to all my clients to begin their regimine of Bonine 3 nights before the trip, every night , then a dose the morning of, and a dose every 8-12 hrs, during. This allows it to build up in the system and do it's job before most problems start. Also, it remedies SOME of the side effects before they interrupt with fishing. I am not a doctor, just a lowly fishing captain, but IMHO this method will also only help you sleep better on the nights leading up to your trip. Once again, not as a doctor, I suggest staying away from dramamine, especially if you have ever had issues with seizures, as there seems to be a connection. I know nothing about the patch, and offer no advice there, other than a suggestion to start it well before the trip, if the Doctor allows,so it can build up in system.

YFT fights can vary greatly from fish to fish, and angler to angler.... some 40#fish take over an hour to land, and I've Gaffed quite a few 130#+ fish seconds after hookup... as said before, good technique and good tackle will bring most in quickly (5-10 min) especially on floater trips where most are hooked at night and MOST dont fight hard because of this. But we've all also seen that stubborn 50# or less fosh, that just won't come in,and wastes an extra 2 hrs of a drift... unless you are very inexperienced in fighting techniques , the only real disadvantage you will have is to hook one on a spinning rod, which puts you way behind the bar, before you even start...

As far as tackle needed, if backfin with the occasional yft make you happy, load up your diamond jigs. I'd bring twice as many as you expect to lose (4 4oz, 4 6oz, 2 8 oz, 1 10oz is my suggestion , per night if you are going to jig alot) because our baracuda problem has gotten terrible in. The past couple years... if you can and will cast, I'd suggest 1-2 frenzy fliers and several halco 130s... I can count on only 3 hands how often poppers have been the best answer in the past few years....

Hope a little of this info helps you

James

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: dolphinslayer1] #12557753 12/31/17 01:16 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Appreciate the response Captain James.
The spinning reel is loaded with 230 yards of 40# and the rod is a 6.5 ft 40# rod. That is the rig I can cast with. My Penn 114H is not a casting rig for me, and I have been pretty much a spinfisher for over 55 years now, although I could certainly jig with the Penn.
Not new to fishing and I have landed a few decent sized fish from the kayak after a Texas sleigh ride, but the strength of tuna is a whole new level I am sure.
Do you have a prefered color for the Halco?
Will there be an opportunity to acquire live bait?
Would a cast net be beneficial for live bait? I am pretty good with a cast net.

Last edited by RealBigReel; 01/11/18 12:22 AM.

RealBigReel
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12660277 03/06/18 11:49 AM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Appreciate the response Captain James.
The spinning reel is loaded with 230 yards of 40# and the rod is a 6.5 ft 40# rod. That is the rig I can cast with. My Penn 114H is not a casting rig for me, and I have been pretty much a spinfisher for over 55 years now, although I could certainly jig with the Penn.
Not new to fishing and I have landed a few decent sized fish from the kayak after a Texas sleigh ride, but the strength of tuna is a whole new level I am sure.
Do you have a prefered color for the Halco?
Will there be an opportunity to acquire live bait?
Would a cast net be beneficial for live bait? I am pretty good with a cast net.

That spinning rod/reel is pretty light for yellowfin, especially on a party boat. I have a Saragosa 10k with about 350 yards of 65lb braid and 60-80lb flouro leader on a Diawa jigging rod along with a Penn two speed Squall SQL16VS with about 800 yards of 80lb braid on a 80lb rod. If you're only catching blackfin, that 40lb rig will suffice...but I'd be worried about many breakoffs targeting yellowfin.

As far as the seasickness...I've found the patch works MUCH better for me than any of the over the counter stuff. I've yet to ever get seasick but on an overnight trip, I've never wanted to take the chance.

Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12762722 05/20/18 08:25 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
What color of Halco 130 please?

RealBigReel
Re: Yellowfin Tuna trip questions [Re: RealBigReel] #12763414 05/21/18 01:03 PM
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
What color of Halco 130 please?

I've had my best luck on the Pilchard. Some folks have said they do well on the Fuselier and the Chrome-Pink. Some of the other models are better for daytime casting though.

"still" awesum
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide