How To Start / What Do I Need? #12506631 11/17/17 02:48 PM
C
COWBOYSFAN008 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Hey all,
Im positive this has been asked several times, so I apologize up front. Can someone point me in the right direction, maybe a link on what I need to get started building my own cranks? I'm talking from scratch, never done it, but it looks like something I could definitely get into. Thanks!

"On the 8th day, God created the DALLAS COWBOYS"
Real men love Jesus, don't wear scarves, pop their gum, or use an umbrella....IMO

<*\\\><
PHIL 4:13
Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12509082 11/19/17 02:43 PM
R
RWCAT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I am in the same boat, the best thing I have found is to just spend some time on youtube. There is a bunch of how to videos on there. Good Luck..

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12509392 11/19/17 08:48 PM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Are you talking about building or painting then assembling?

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: Matt Jackson] #12511277 11/21/17 02:15 PM
C
COWBOYSFAN008 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson
Are you talking about building or painting then assembling?

I would imagine both.

"On the 8th day, God created the DALLAS COWBOYS"
Real men love Jesus, don't wear scarves, pop their gum, or use an umbrella....IMO

<*\\\><
PHIL 4:13
Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12512035 11/22/17 12:47 AM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
As far as painting supply the sky and your wallet is the limit as far as how much you want to spend to get started. Personally I would recommend buying a set to start Amazon has some nice packages with masters brush, compressor, and paint that will get you started. These are by no means top of the line, but will gert you going and not break the bank. I started with a 200 dollar package and it worked great for me for a while. I slowly upgraded brushes and added paint to my collection. As far as plastic lure body's there are a few places I recommend buying from that sell nice quality body's. www.getbitcustombaits.com, www.custombaitsupply.com , www.dingerbaits.com , www.predatorbassbaits.com top coat is kinda up to you on what you want to use. Devcon 2 ton 30 minute cure time is probably the most widely used, I don't like I personally, but alot of people are very happy with it. As far as buying other paints Wal-Mart and hobby lobby carry acrylic paint. Wal-Mart has apple Harrell and folk art that work decent for 1-2 $ each. Hobby lobby has several cheaper brands so on with createx and wiked paint. I probably like wiked the best out of anything I have used, but I use several different brands and honestly I base with gloss white apple barrel from Wal-Mart. Feel free to ask if you need any other help.

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #12512273 11/22/17 04:02 AM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I will second the masters kit. The one I got came with everything including paint. I think it was around $200-220 or so. This will get you started painting with minimal investment. You will find out weather it is for you or not with that kit. I would quickly upgrade the brush if this is something that interest you, as mine wasn't that great out of the box. Watch lots of YouTube to learn to paint. It's not rocket science and remember if you mess up not to get frustrated as nothing is perfect nature. Once you put eyes and finish on the bait it really comes to life. I painted ten tonight in a new pattern I wasn't crazy about but once the eyes were on and I kept looking at them, I kinda like them. They will be even better after finish. Don't hesitate to ask questions here because it will save you money eliminating something that doesn't work that others have tried. Again YouTube is your friend. Brad had a lot of good advice. It definitely will be trial and error but just have fun with it and you will be very proud of the baits you create.

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12512305 11/22/17 04:23 AM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-KIT-G22T-MA...cB#.WhT7gNBMHgA

I think this is the one I started with.

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12534734 12/11/17 08:49 PM
I
I'm The Dude Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I
Curious about cleaning and maintaining the brushes? During use, changing colors, etc...?

Drying/curing baits? How do ya'll do it?

I'm curious what your "wish I would have figured that out sooner" trial and error advice would be... Thinking this is what the wife is getting me for Christmas cheers

Last edited by I'm The Dude; 12/11/17 08:49 PM.
Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12534938 12/12/17 12:31 AM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Hopefully Brad or the others will chime in. I've learned to not be so OCD about cleaning in between colors. I spray the excess out and have a squirt water bottle with a thin curved spout like some bottles were in football practice. Then I will fill the cup with water spray just a bit then dump the water. I'll take a paper towel and wipe the cup then fill with more water and put my finger over the tip of the brush and pull back on the trigger to make the cup bubble to back flush it then dump and fill with water and spray just a bit again. Then your ready for the next color. It goes faster the more you do it. Don't bother with airbrush cleaner for this unless it's really bad. I went through a roll of paper towels and a whole bottle of cleaner quick then realized it's not necessary. When I'm finished I'll pulled the needle out and clean it,the bowl, front nozzle whatever it's called. Sometimes I just use water sometimes cleaner or if the tip of the needle is bad and won't come clean I'll dip it in acetone. Again don't be OCD cleaning changing colors but do be for the final clean up. Finishing I would start with Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Get you some cheap 30 count pack of paint brushes for $1.99 at Hobby Lobby. They look like water color brushes you had as a kid. Simply mix and brush on the hang. It's simple, cheap and looks good. If painting works out for you then you can move to other finishing techniques. Don't get frustrated and enjoy it. Watch lots of YouTube to learn to start painting. It will be trial and error but is enjoyable when you see your finished product and your wife or friends don't believe you painted it. Remember if you don't like what you've painted once you put eyes and finish on it, it really comes to life. I've painted some that I thought I would just throw away but once finished ended up looking good. Also don't hesitate to ask questions. There are some good painters on here that are more then willing to share.

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12535000 12/12/17 01:27 AM
B
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Most of the time I don't even clean all the extra paint out of my brush I'll dump the majority back into the paint bottle and run a little bit of wiked cleaner through it. In no way am.i saying this is the right way to go about it. Just how I do it. I also go in order from lightest to darkest colors whenever possible. It's just the way I prefer to paint not that it's the best or most effective way. Only thing I will say that I wish I knew sooner was the materials I have found to work best for me. I use pledge floor care as a reducer it's way cheaper and available at Wal-Mart. I think it gives the paint a little harder finish and cleans up well also. I'm not saying it's the absolute best reducer out there, but it works very well for me and is easy to get and cheap. It's the clear bottle with blue lable.

Re: How To Start / What Do I Need? [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12535012 12/12/17 01:33 AM
B
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Drying baits you can use a hair dryer I personally use a heat gun that has multiple heat settings and fan speeds. I leave it on when I'm painting usually I paint 10 or more of each color and paint like an assembly line process, so I dry each color on each bait as I'm working through the color pattern. If that makes sense, main thing starting out that will help you is taking your time and write down the colors and order you used to.complete a pattern. I keep a.small spiral notebook on my work bench that I have to refer back to from time to time. You don't want to make a lure that flat out catches fish and not know how to duplicate it later.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide