Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winter Riding #12481299 10/27/17 06:49 PM
Nocona Brian Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Any of you guys ride when it gets cold, say below 50 degrees? I really didn't last year but plan to this year, and wondered what all you bundle up in while staying "fast", and not freezing to death of cold sweat.

I ordered some Chinese "Winter" Bib Pants and Long Sleeve Jersey the other day, and some overshoes. Reckon they'll get here in December sometime, figured for the price it'd be worth a shot for something to start with. I've got some black leggings I wear when I hunt, I've worn a few times over my shorts, but that seems kind of ghetto, and they're really not warm.

Need to get a new set of full finger gloves too, I'd kept a pair of gloves from my dirt bike racing days and have worn them a few times but being 10 years old, they're starting to come apart. I took off the other morning and it was right around 50 degrees, went down the street and though daggum, I need some gloves and remembered I had those. Cold hands are miserable.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12481491 10/27/17 10:03 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
I ride in the cold, but more so on the dirt trails.

The woods help with cutting the wind.

I do layers, and I have a couple face caps and of course, warmer gloves.

I love cold weather.

I haven't ridden much on my street bike during cold months, but I will this season since I've been using my street more.

...-------

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12481530 10/27/17 11:01 PM
I
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
I just looked closer...how did I not see the word "China."

When buying clothes from China it's a real risk. There is no way to know if the clothes will come close to fitting.

I've bought shirts and light jackets, the largest available, and they are tight. I'm not huge either.

Should you buy, let us know.

...------

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12481922 10/28/17 12:31 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Sleeves that are removable are the best option...since you start out cold and warm up in the ride. Shed the sleeves when needed.

Wear UA tights over shorts, so you can take them off when you warm up.

Toe covers on shoes are nice.

About it. I didn't like riding under 50 degree last year...I would ride in the afternoons when it warms up to 50.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12482122 10/28/17 04:48 PM
H2O Seeker Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Below 50 is the magic mark for me. If its below that or windy and 50+ I bring the bike in for the indoor trainer.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12484349 10/30/17 03:30 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Indianation65
I just looked closer...how did I not see the word "China."

When buying clothes from China it's a real risk. There is no way to know if the clothes will come close to fitting.

I've bought shirts and light jackets, the largest available, and they are tight. I'm not huge either.

Should you buy, let us know.

...------

I know, hell it's not just from china, pretty much any clothing online is a roll of the dice. I figured if they didn't fit I shouldn't have a problem getting my money back on them.

I rode the trainer last winter, it was a good workout, but too mind numbing. I'm going to try my hardest to stay off that thing and be outside if I can help it.

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12484382 10/30/17 03:51 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I bought a kit from China. Shirt was good. Shorts were rather short and had a BIG butt on them. I knew the China Man was short, but I didn't know he had a big butt. Luckily my MIL sews and she fixed them for me. They are my trainer shorts. Kinda funny though.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12484618 10/30/17 07:09 PM
I
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
I just received my new shirt from China.
I ordered XL.

It's really tight and fits like a "small" would fit here.
I'll just have to use it as an undershirt and layers on cold days.

...------

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12484649 10/30/17 07:28 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I ordered a really cool looking bib/jersey combo this Summer off Amazon and I could get into it, but it was too tight. I just posted it on the local bicycle trading post on FB and had it sold the same day. They're cheap enough they're easy to sell if someone knows the size they need to be, kind of the only headache of dealing with it.

Fitment wise, I wish I hadn't got bib pants now, as opposed to regular pants, but we'll see how these work. Cycling gear is ridiculous expensive, like why does a dang jersey have to be $60 or more, same for shorts!

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12485831 10/31/17 04:43 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian

Fitment wise, I wish I hadn't got bib pants now, as opposed to regular pants, but we'll see how these work. Cycling gear is ridiculous expensive, like why does a dang jersey have to be $60 or more, same for shorts!

That's why I bought the China made one the first round. I have found comfy shorts now for under 50. I also found a 100 shirt on for 50 and REI sent me 2. I'm not buying anymore than that. Prices are insane for what material they are. I'm tempted to start my own cycle clothing company.

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12498974 11/10/17 02:26 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Wow, I'm impressed. These things showed up yesterday and I have to say, this is probably one of the best Chinese purchases I've ever made. The jersey is a hair tight across the front but at this point I'd rather be tight than flappy loose, that was also after eating a steak dinner, and not really doing much physical work over the past two weeks... It's also long in the back (compared to my other jerseys) so I don't have to worry about it riding up, and the collar is taller than normal jerseys, so you get alittle more coverage if you zip it all the way. Bibs fit perfect, and everything seems to be good quality, they've got zippers on each ankle to make sliding them on easier, because they are tight on them.

The other Chinese jersey I got awhile back seemed really cheap, from the material, to the zipper, and everything on this one is nice. I wasn't sure what the fleece materiel would be like, I don't know how to explain it other than a mix of fleece/lycra that's not super thick like a pullover, but not thin enough to be pointless. Was going to go this morning, but at 530 one of our kids was already awake. Going to try and give it try tomorrow. Will report back.

If anyone is curious about sizing, I got the XL - I'm about 6' - 217lbs.

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12552450 12/27/17 03:05 AM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
Rode 12 miles Christmas day with the wife late afternoon. So cold. I hate cold. I was getting ready to have a beer and she made me go out in it.

Last edited by Trickster; 12/27/17 03:06 AM.
Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12552653 12/27/17 01:51 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I hate the cold too.....this is downright miserable. No sun, never above 40, dreary.....I thought I lived in Texas.

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12552700 12/27/17 02:34 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Went yesterday morning, thankfully it really didn't start drizzling until I got home. It was a cold SOB here!

I'm wearing a thin beanie under my helmet, one of the Chinese kits above, a semi tight/heavy golf rain/wind breaker pullover (probably should change this to something breathable), a thick pair of Cabelas gloves, thicker socks, and some cheapo overshoe covers. They wouldn't do well in the rain.

Only thing that hurts is my inner thighs itching from the cold when I come back inside.

With that..... I said awhile back I was going to do everything in my power to stay off my trainer, but we got a new laptop for Christmas, and last night I ordered what I think I need to get my trainer going with Zwift. We'll see how that goes, I'm kind of excited.

Re: Winter Riding [Re: Nocona Brian] #12556789 12/30/17 04:08 PM
H2O Seeker Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Riding inside on the trainer. Too cold for my bones to be on the 2 wheels.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide