Forums59
Topics1,037,811
Posts13,934,937
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: Bug-e] #12472686 10/20/17 04:48 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
For a beginner I would say 10. But that also depends on the lake, and where on the lake. I fish RR with double that number BUT I’m not out on the open body of water.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: Bug-e] #12473098 10/20/17 10:21 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
As mentioned above, depends on the water. 10 mph if its a big lake and youre in the open. 15-20 if you can stay in a protected cove the whole time. also depends on your kayak and skill/conditioning level. I fished some days out on the lakes in my Hobie Revo that I would not attempt in a paddle kayak. Peddle drive and rudder let me power back to my launch point.

When it gets windy you have to think about where you CAN fish, which may not be the same as where you WANT to fish.

I highly recommend the WindFinder App. Its great for checking wind speed/direction on most lakes around here.

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: pelican] #12475562 10/23/17 01:28 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: pelican
All depends on the body of water, where on that body of water, wind direction and type of fishing I'm doing.
In most cases 15 mph is a good number but I've fished in higher winds and caught good fish.

So true. Depends but fishing on open water anything over 10+mph and I'm usually thinking "work". No wind and the fish don't usually bite as well. In the early am no Wind is ok. But can get too hot in the SUN.

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: Bug-e] #12476126 10/23/17 08:31 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
For those that are new to kayaking, keep pushing yourselves to fish in higher and higher wind speeds. Sooner or later you're going to get caught out in conditions that are much worse than you would ever intentionally go out in and if you've been in them before there will be less chance of mishap and much less stress. I've tried to never let a windy day stop me from going out, even if it meant leaving most of or all of my gear in vehicle to reduce risk of losing it, just to see what I could handle. Lots of ways to minimize wind's effects... only take a couple of rods and lay them across deck instead of using your flush mounts, tether your rods so you don't loose them if you dump, lower your seating position if you have adjustable seating, let air out of your seat air pad if you use one, feather your paddle, store anything you don't need immediate access to under deck, take shorter quicker paddle strokes. Better to hit the beach and wait it out if you are confident you can't handle it.

PS.. don't try a stump field crossing in big waves and strong winds. Even if you make it through you will never get it out of your mind. scared

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: Bug-e] #12476150 10/23/17 08:55 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
If its a windy day and you aren't sure whether its safe or not, its probably not safe. However, if you're going against the wind when launching... that might be better. At least after a long day of fishing and you're exhausted, you get a nice paddle back because the wind will be at your back.

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: SleepingTiger] #12476268 10/23/17 11:11 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: SleepingTiger
If its a windy day and you aren't sure whether its safe or not, its probably not safe. However, if you're going against the wind when launching... that might be better. At least after a long day of fishing and you're exhausted, you get a nice paddle back because the wind will be at your back.

Seems at least in our case the wind finds the need to be as inconvenient as possible both directions. Lol.

Last edited by christian myrick; 10/23/17 11:12 PM.

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: christian myrick] #12476310 10/23/17 11:40 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
Originally Posted By: SleepingTiger

Seems at least in our case the wind finds the need to be as inconvenient as possible both directions. Lol.

Truth and experience talking!

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: lconn4] #12478232 10/25/17 02:32 PM
B
Bug-e Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: lconn4
For those that are new to kayaking, keep pushing yourselves to fish in higher and higher wind speeds. Sooner or later you're going to get caught out in conditions that are much worse than you would ever intentionally go out in and if you've been in them before there will be less chance of mishap and much less stress. I've tried to never let a windy day stop me from going out, even if it meant leaving most of or all of my gear in vehicle to reduce risk of losing it, just to see what I could handle. Lots of ways to minimize wind's effects... only take a couple of rods and lay them across deck instead of using your flush mounts, tether your rods so you don't loose them if you dump, lower your seating position if you have adjustable seating, let air out of your seat air pad if you use one, feather your paddle, store anything you don't need immediate access to under deck, take shorter quicker paddle strokes. Better to hit the beach and wait it out if you are confident you can't handle it.

PS.. don't try a stump field crossing in big waves and strong winds. Even if you make it through you will never get it out of your mind. scared

I hear you. I think I ended up being a little over cautious on Saturday. I was fishing at Gibbons Creek and stuck to the south end of the lake to hide behind the dam. I also hugged the shoreline on either side of the dam a bit. I caught one bass. I have been doing really well on the north end of the lake (at least in terms of numbers), but it's a three mile paddle and the wind would have been right in my face on the way back. In hindsight I wish I had used the wind to zoom to the north end of the lake where the fish seem to be biting and then dipped in and out of coves on my paddle back south. I think the wind was gusting around 13 to 15 mph, so nothing horrifying. Lesson kind of learned.

Re: What wind speed is too much for you? [Re: Bug-e] #12497434 11/09/17 02:23 AM
N
nmartinez Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I try to find a cut or cove that is out of the wind if at all possible if on the lake, river or creek i will try to stay in a bend that is out of the full force of the wind. Open water for me is 15+, i will find another place to fish or even just beat the bank. some lakes are worse than others when its windy. Granger lake is pretty bad if its windy in my experience. compared to like parts of belton lake can be complete out of the wind.

I document my fishing adventures on instagram @central_texas_kayak_fishing

also check my youtube @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7jSDLxu66QmUIcMaZP-Fg?view_as=subscriber

Rumble @ https://rumble.com/user/Nmartinez8163
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide