Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,799
Posts13,934,694
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar #12453545 10/05/17 02:16 AM
R
RespectTheFish Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Hello everyone! I put together an informational video with tips and tricks on identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on sonar. I went more into detail than I did when I did a slide show a few weeks ago. I hope it helps anyone interested in watching it. I want to do some videos in the future of on the water demonstrations. Let me know what you think and maybe any future video ideas that would be helpful. I'm definitely not a pro guide or anything but just wanted to share some stuff I've learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWjzCTAaMg

Clay
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12453671 10/05/17 05:05 AM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Excellent video !! I like the split screen with 2D and DI for searching for whites and stripers too.

THANKS !!

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12453903 10/05/17 01:46 PM
R
RWCAT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
GREAT video!!!

Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12453933 10/05/17 02:04 PM
T
TxBigball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks for sharing! Great video.

[Linked Image]

'89 Stratos 275 Pro
Johnson GT 150 V6
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12454000 10/05/17 02:43 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Thanks for the positive feedback! Let me know if y'all have any other ideas for videos that may be helpful. I hoping to make a downrigging on the water video soon. Partly educational and partly fun showing lots of catches. And when the birds show up in a few months I want to make a video on how to approach fishing this time of year. Lots of stuff out there about fishing under birds but as with any fishing shows, they leave a few pieces of the puzzle out so you can't fully see what all the fisherman is doing to catch the fish. I'm hoping to make a make some videos that put all the puzzle pieces together on the water.

Clay
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12454005 10/05/17 02:46 PM
M
Madatu Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
very good video

Mike Warren
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12454433 10/05/17 07:23 PM
L
LetgoFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Awesome video and thanks for sharing!

DanyaSon
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12455056 10/06/17 03:43 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Fantastic video, very helpful and informative. Now make a video on how to catch shad for bait and I will be all set!

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: scubaarchery] #12455326 10/06/17 02:23 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
I can do that! Thanks for the idea and let me know if there is anything else you need help on. I'm by no means an expert but I am a fanatic and do nothing but read, watch, eat and breath fishing and love sharing what I've learned in a short and to the point manner.

Catching bait can be tricky which is why I try to avoid it and use pet spoons and downrigging for whites and hybrids but I know of several tricks to locating them and catching them and at times of the year its probably the way to go. I will work on making a video soon. In the mean time, Chad Ferguson of Catfishedge has some videos over catching shad on youtube along with a shad program ebook on his website that was very helpful for me learning to not only locate shad, but locate game fish as well. There are some very simple concepts that can lead you in the right direction.

You may already know this but:
First tip is to go with the wind. The wind dictates the location of plankton and microbes that the shad feed on by blowing them onto wind blown points, humps, islands, and coves. go to these areas and scan for them. Also look around lights early and late. And if you have a spot lock trolling motor you can much easier set up and anchor on the fish you see to get a cast net over them. Hope that's at least a few quick tips that will point you in the right direction!

Last edited by RespectTheFish; 10/06/17 03:26 PM.

Clay
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: doctorxring] #12455331 10/06/17 02:25 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: doctorxring

Excellent video !! I like the split screen with 2D and DI for searching for whites and stripers too.

THANKS !!

I saw your youtube video on cleaning sunfish! You are a sunfish cleaning fool lol. I was impressed!

Clay
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12456301 10/07/17 03:50 AM
rebait Offline
Angler
Angler
Thanks for taking time to make video. Lots of good info.

Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: RespectTheFish] #12456413 10/07/17 12:32 PM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: RespectTheFish
I can do that! Thanks for the idea and let me know if there is anything else you need help on. I'm by no means an expert but I am a fanatic and do nothing but read, watch, eat and breath fishing and love sharing what I've learned in a short and to the point manner.

Catching bait can be tricky which is why I try to avoid it and use pet spoons and downrigging for whites and hybrids but I know of several tricks to locating them and catching them and at times of the year its probably the way to go. I will work on making a video soon. In the mean time, Chad Ferguson of Catfishedge has some videos over catching shad on youtube along with a shad program ebook on his website that was very helpful for me learning to not only locate shad, but locate game fish as well. There are some very simple concepts that can lead you in the right direction.

You may already know this but:
First tip is to go with the wind. The wind dictates the location of plankton and microbes that the shad feed on by blowing them onto wind blown points, humps, islands, and coves. go to these areas and scan for them. Also look around lights early and late. And if you have a spot lock trolling motor you can much easier set up and anchor on the fish you see to get a cast net over them. Hope that's at least a few quick tips that will point you in the right direction!

Thanks that is also really helpful.I think you just gave yourself some ideas for a series of videos. My passion is tuna fishing and I catch them via popping, jigging, chunking and trolling. You should do a series on how to catch hybrids via similar methods, popping, jigging (or slabbing) live or dead bait and pet spoons. I have never used pet spoons for example so it would be good to create an educational series. If you also did a series based on what techniques are effective during the four seasons you now have plenty of ideas! Go for it and good luck! If you need a copilot or cameraman let me know!

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Identifying white bass, hybrids, and catfish on 2D & DI sonar [Re: scubaarchery] #12456434 10/07/17 01:11 PM
R
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
I bet tuna fishing is a blast! I've seen some videos of it! I'm hoping to start making more videos geared towards white bass and hybrids through the seasons like you mentioned. I'm looking forward to fall/winter fishing under birds! Fun time of the year and with birds being your first fish finder before you even get on the water sometimes.

Clay
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide