Print Thread
Just want opinion on upgrades #12446628 09/29/17 02:55 PM
J
joho5 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Ok, I am in my first bigger, faster bass boat now. Have been asking several questions on here and its guiding me through the upgrade process.

I have done: replace/rewire all pumps so now it has two strong bilge pumps and livewell is fully functional with two freshwater pumps and two recirc pumps. I have upgraded the electronics on the bow and console.

What I want to do: recessed tray for trolling motor, jackplate (my budget will probably only allow a manual), hydraulic steering, and replace console gauges (more than half dont work and most are very dated).

If this was your boat, what would be your order of upgrades next...and add one if it isnt one I didnt list.

Re: Just want opinion on upgrades [Re: joho5] #12446861 09/29/17 05:11 PM
T Bird Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If mine, I would probably go this route. Don't forget about your Trailer needs (Tires, Bearings, Bunks).

1. Gauges (If H2O, tach and trim work, Make this #2.
2. Hyd. steering (allow for jack plate set back you will install when ordering.
3. Jack plate
4. Trolling motor tray

Depending on age of boat, may want to upgrade size of trolling motor wiring. [img]https://www.minnkotamotors.com/general.aspx?pageid=1963[/img]

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Just want opinion on upgrades [Re: joho5] #12446886 09/29/17 05:29 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sounds like you have a bass boat.

If yo uare considering a recessed tray, why not upgrade to a Minn Kota TM with spot lock. Get rid of the foot control. With the digital TM you can use a foot control, but you also gain the ability to use a wireless remote as well and will work in shallow or deeper water to provide spotlock and save from buying a shallow water anchor, at least for now.

A manual jackplate is useless. The benefit of it is too adjust it on the fly. Those with a manual never adjust it once it is on.

Hydraulic steering is awesome! Greater than 150 hp and you need to go with Seastar, the Baystar is for less than 150 hp.

Working gauges are always important.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Just want opinion on upgrades [Re: Capt Craig] #12447381 09/30/17 01:42 AM
J
joho5 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
Sounds like you have a bass boat.

If yo uare considering a recessed tray, why not upgrade to a Minn Kota TM with spot lock. Get rid of the foot control. With the digital TM you can use a foot control, but you also gain the ability to use a wireless remote as well and will work in shallow or deeper water to provide spotlock and save from buying a shallow water anchor, at least for now.

A manual jackplate is useless. The benefit of it is too adjust it on the fly. Those with a manual never adjust it once it is on.

Hydraulic steering is awesome! Greater than 150 hp and you need to go with Seastar, the Baystar is for less than 150 hp.

Working gauges are always important.

I am a rookie, but I just dont see how a manual jackplate can be useless if it can provide better control, takeoff, slow down, etc...

I just want to be able to get the most power and efficiency out of the motor I have by setting it at the right height.

Re: Just want opinion on upgrades [Re: joho5] #12447411 09/30/17 02:11 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If it were my boat, I'd go fishing for awhile and let my experience from that tell me what is important to me. What is important to me on MY boat may not be what is the most important on YOUR boat.

To me if the steering is tight then Hydr steering would be number one and if I fished a lot then trolling motor tray maybe number 2.
If I was going to do a jackplate then I would wait until I could afford a hydraulic. I'd much rather have the ability to adjust on the fly for shallow water or deeper in rough water on the fly than just buying one to get an extra 3-4 more MPH and on plane a second or two sooner.

Re: Just want opinion on upgrades [Re: joho5] #12447554 09/30/17 05:18 AM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Manual jackplates are fine. I set mine up to get best /performance/handling/speed etc. out of THAT particular combination of motor/hill/prop. If I change props I can easily adjust up or down to get best performance from THAT combo. I have ran both styles. Since you're new & LEARNING, yes, a manual IS cheaper & can improve handling without breaking the bank. I sent you a pm about meeting you to help you set it up.
My suggestion for affordability & learning would be
1. Tach,Water pressure,Voltmeter are important necessity gauges. If those 3 are working make this lower priority.
2. Hydraulic steering. Safer( my opinion) better handling.
3.Trolling motor tray. Fishing more than driving boat.
4. Jackplate. You most likely WONT have issues with hoses with 10" or less setback. I would highly recommend listening to Pat or Steve as far as what setback that hull benefits the most from. Hydraulic doesnt HAVE to be expensive unless you buy NEW. I just bought an 8" hydraulic from one of Steve's customers they took off his Allison boat to mount one of Steves bigger HydroDynamics. Just have to keep your eyes & ears open to come across a good one at a good price.
Give me call if you want. I'll help you all I can.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide