Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Broken Trolling Motor Fix #12416796 09/06/17 09:43 PM
5PounderOnAFrog Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I recently bought a new boat that came with a Minn Kota Maxxum hand control trolling motor and the control box is broken where it meets the shaft. Since it is a hand control trolling motor there is a good bit of movement that relies on this piece so it makes turning it a bit sloppy. It jiggles around and has a little bit of give before the trolling motor itself actually turns and when it is stowed it flops around when running in rough water.
I saw that Minn Kota sells replacement parts including this piece ($7) but I'm worried that it would be something that I wouldn't be able to replace myself due to the amount of wires/gears/whatever located in that area. My plan is to sell the thing and replace it with a foot control trolling motor because the hand control is just not for me, so dropping big bucks at a trolling motor repair place wouldn't make sense.
Does anyone know how big a task this would be to replace? Or would this be something that Minn Kota would replace under warranty or for relatively cheap?

Pic below for reference of the piece I'm talking about

Last edited by 5PounderOnAFrog; 09/06/17 09:48 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12416821 09/06/17 10:02 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If it was broken before you picked up the boat looks like the dealer would be responsible. If you broke it looks like you'll have to repair it, pay the dealer or a trolling motor repair shop to repair it. Selling it might be an option but you'll probably be disappointed in what you'll get for it and installing a foot control is not an easy project.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12416830 09/06/17 10:08 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I've never really taken that one apart but gave on the terrova plenty of times. The wires are connected so you just have to pay attention how they are routed when you remove the cover. The hand control itself is where I'd pay the most attention as to how it comes apart because there are smaller parts that will fall out and you have to put them back together the correct way. Overall it probably isn't very complicated. Is it the entire bottom section or just the small wedge that you have to replace?

Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417087 09/07/17 01:29 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I've done this on my Motorguide. I take pictures, draw little pictures and put labels on wires.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417245 09/07/17 03:08 AM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Not that hard. Just use a piece of masking tape and write a number on each one.

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation
LI0017483

Fishing Texas lakes one at a time

Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417336 09/07/17 04:22 AM
D
DKennimer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I would fix it while it's still mounted. It'll be easier. Take photos and have a little patience and confidence while you take it apart paying attention as you go. If you remove a part, take another quick pic... It's really not hard. Get some shrink tubing for the wire connections.

As for the foot controlled TM:
If installing a tray, cutting the hole for the recessed pedal is the hardest part (not really hard). Just measure several times and do some research on your model to see if there's any obstructions (bracing, wires, conduit, etc.). This hole once cut, will allow for easier access for mounting.
Depending on the model you choose to replace it with, will determine if you need to drill any additional holes for mounting. It's easy (6 holes already there like a jig), just take your time. I was only able to get to 5 (on both I installed), due to the location I wanted mine mounted. That's plenty. Get stainless hardware (ss carriage bolts if you want to have an extra theft deterrent), large (1 1/4") ss fender washers (this will help displace the mounting load to prevent fiberglass damage down the road as we all know they can take a beating running down the lake, hitting stumps and stowing over and over) and a few extra nuts to be used as locking nuts. I snug them up then give them an extra 1/2 turn or so. This is tight enough. Then install the locking nuts so it never moves/backs out from vibrating/rough water/abuse. Again, the hole you cut for the recessed tray will give you the extra room you need for your arm to get to the nuts as they get filled with fiberglass grin
Route your transducer cable so it lays on the top side of the shaft while stowed. Zip tie them, snug, not too tight as to prevent cutting through the wire sheath. (This will save you a few transducers over the years). Don't get overwhelmed and I'm sure you'll get the original one fixed and have a new one mounted in a few hours (given you have all the parts necessary). Worst case, you get the hand controlled apart and can't fix it (which I highly doubt) and you take the TM and parts to a shop I'm sure you can do it. Just take lots of pics as you go.
Good luck!!

Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417347 09/07/17 04:35 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Minn Kota would likely cover under warranty if broken through normal use. An authorized service center would typically fix it, then file the warranty paper-work for reimbursement.

Take it in, and have them see about it.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417409 09/07/17 10:56 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.†-JFK
Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12417728 09/07/17 03:32 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Post in general equipment!

Re: Broken Trolling Motor Fix [Re: DKennimer] #12418026 09/07/17 07:41 PM
5PounderOnAFrog Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: DKennimer
I would fix it while it's still mounted. It'll be easier. Take photos and have a little patience and confidence while you take it apart paying attention as you go. If you remove a part, take another quick pic... It's really not hard. Get some shrink tubing for the wire connections.

As for the foot controlled TM:
If installing a tray, cutting the hole for the recessed pedal is the hardest part (not really hard). Just measure several times and do some research on your model to see if there's any obstructions (bracing, wires, conduit, etc.). This hole once cut, will allow for easier access for mounting.
Depending on the model you choose to replace it with, will determine if you need to drill any additional holes for mounting. It's easy (6 holes already there like a jig), just take your time. I was only able to get to 5 (on both I installed), due to the location I wanted mine mounted. That's plenty. Get stainless hardware (ss carriage bolts if you want to have an extra theft deterrent), large (1 1/4") ss fender washers (this will help displace the mounting load to prevent fiberglass damage down the road as we all know they can take a beating running down the lake, hitting stumps and stowing over and over) and a few extra nuts to be used as locking nuts. I snug them up then give them an extra 1/2 turn or so. This is tight enough. Then install the locking nuts so it never moves/backs out from vibrating/rough water/abuse. Again, the hole you cut for the recessed tray will give you the extra room you need for your arm to get to the nuts as they get filled with fiberglass grin
Route your transducer cable so it lays on the top side of the shaft while stowed. Zip tie them, snug, not too tight as to prevent cutting through the wire sheath. (This will save you a few transducers over the years). Don't get overwhelmed and I'm sure you'll get the original one fixed and have a new one mounted in a few hours (given you have all the parts necessary). Worst case, you get the hand controlled apart and can't fix it (which I highly doubt) and you take the TM and parts to a shop I'm sure you can do it. Just take lots of pics as you go.
Good luck!!

Thank you for the write up, it was really helpful. I've installed a few trolling motors on the old Tracker I had so I have a general idea, but I've never installed all the bells and whistles that go with the trolling motor so this will be helpful in getting those things done.

Thank you to everyone else who provided input. Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult so ill give it a try and hope for the best.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide