Page 1 of 2 1 2
DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims #12406915 08/30/17 03:03 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

I posted this on FB so it sounds generic, but some of you know Carey.  cool  

================================================================

How you can help volunteers for Houston flood victims directly.
My friend Carey and his wife Sarah and friend Cody have been down there for three days now on the front lines, sleeping in their truck and helping pluck families from their flooded homes.
They are doing this mostly on their own expense even though some friend's and PayPal support has come in already.
Carey Thorn is a fishing guide in the Dallas area and he has the right style of boat (shallow draft, aluminum) for driving in flooded neighborhoods and city streets.
However, there are many hazards and he already has a damaged propeller and trailer which will have to be repaired for his livelihood. Also, since he is not guiding, Carey is without his normal income.
If you would like to help out a little bit or a lot for someone is there now volunteering, you can contribute to their PayPal account.

PayPal
Thorn_alex@yahoo.com

When using the PayPal option “sending to a friend” there are no fees. Even 5 or 10 dollars would be welcome. If there is any left over, Sarah will use it to purchase diapers or food for the stranded families there.
Thanks!

There are a lot of rains soaked people being rescued.

Carey & Cody... and some families and dogs happy to be rescued!

Sarah's pony tail... :-)   ... and more rain soaked people

Happy kids!   cool  

This is a photo from a news report. It is unbelievable how much water is there and how many people are affected.

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12406921 08/30/17 03:07 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

Carey just saw my FB post and responded.

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12406939 08/30/17 03:24 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Truck loaded down...

Image from the front lines

Happy to be rescued

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12407167 08/30/17 06:33 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

Laner is also headed down Friday morning.

East of Houston that was also very hard hit.

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12407304 08/30/17 08:30 PM
L
Lip Ripper Baits Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Kevin and I will be headed down also but possibly not until Tuesday. We're going to help all we can.

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12407476 08/30/17 11:25 PM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Are you taking your boat down there Tim?

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12407509 08/30/17 11:47 PM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
That one pic looks like a Lewisville or Hubbard sand bass boat show! Carey and Cody have been down there several days already along with several other local anglers and their boats. Just can't say enough good things about folks with those type of hearts, so willing to lend a hand and make a difference! Kudos to all metroplex volunteers down there saving lives in some, quite frankly, incredibly bad, and sad, conditions!

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12408126 08/31/17 01:36 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

Done... mentally done. tired

Thanks to all who helped and all who supported!

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12408137 08/31/17 01:46 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
[quote=shut-up-and-fish]

Are you taking your boat down there Tim?
===========

=Nope, my boat is too heavy. Vicki and I pitched in a $100 to Carey and his wife who went down there. I was thinking of loading my truck with supplies, gas, food and water for them and the "Waco crew", but they are headed back. I've also heard their are so many headed down, that they are turning some back. Not sure if that's true or not.

Port Arthur and areas east need help now. That's where Lane and his group are headed.

Unbelievable and epic flooding.
I can't imagine losing everything and not even having a place to stay or a car. I'm thankful for things I haven't been thankful for in a while...

Please continue to help out wherever you can.

Port Arthur mayor says they are in "Survival mode".

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12409221 09/01/17 01:51 AM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

The water seems to be receding in areas.....

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12409790 09/01/17 02:13 PM
TexExp Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

That's something you don't see every day...

Twice!! Must have been stranded in the roadway.

Carey has damage to his trailer, since trying to get the boat out in lower water. Guys had to lift from the back, while cranking in the front.

I let him know that "Shut Up & Fish" does full service trailer bunk repairs!! While you fish! lol
It's all coming together at Shut up & fish...

cool

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12410256 09/01/17 07:24 PM
T
TarponFly Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

The first victim we saved.

All the people needing evacs. We just tried to get to every point we could.

60 seconds after I took Codys picture, his leg when thru and man hole. Electricity is a big problem in the water.

Team WacoFlotilla

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12410257 09/01/17 07:24 PM
T
TarponFly Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Cody posted this. So I'm going to paste it here. He said it best.

Feeling a range of mixed emotions now that we're home. The adrenaline has finally wore off, and the physical and emotional exhaustion is setting in. Some of the worst memories that I'll never forget. I'm completely heart-broken for all the people and pets directly affected by the storm. I'm absolutely pissed about the way the media is covering the situation. They aren't showing anything close to how awful it truly is down there. It's despicable. With that being said, my faith in humanity was restored exponentially, by the overwhelming amount of help and support that we received, and the number of regular everyday HEROS that showed up, and selflessly risked their own lives, to save the lives of total strangers. I'm extremely proud of all the folks who joined forces and worked together relentlessly to save those he needed rescue. Complete strangers that banded together and treated each other better than family. We met some truly incredible people, and made some great friends. Working together as team we were able to save thousands. Between the people working hard behind the scenes, going days without any sleep, being the life-line between the people in need of rescue and their rescuers, and the first responders, selflessly risking their own lives on the front line, it truly was a life-changing experience. I want to send a huge shout-out to all of you guys that we worked with, and just tell you thank you. You guys are what being a TEXAN is really all about. For anyone that I might've missed tagging, I apologize. Let me know and I'll fix it! Or anyone that worked with us that has not added me please do so! Any members of the Waco Flotilla that hasn't added me yet, please do so! Or member of the Waco Flotilla that have already added me, please tag the others in the comments, so I can add them. You guys are amazing! Y'all are all considered family in my book.

The picture below is the team we worked with, a lot of us complete strangers, turned family. Couldn't have asked for a better group of HEROS to work with.

-Cody.
--------------

Me:

There is no way to list all the people that came running when I called for all boats and support. You know who you are if you did, and y'all have no idea how much it helped out. There were many, many, frustrations along the way. Especially the first day we were there, it was chaos.

When the Mayor told the news, that Houston didn't need anymore boats..... everyone on the front lines was extremely miffed and baffled. I have buddies that left last night, and some today left with boats. I'm in contact with Michael aka BaffinBay and Lane that should be on the front lines if not now, any minute. The flooding will rain in areas for over 10 days higher than house. Brazos is 7 ft over its previous record and will stay that way for over a week.

I have some other buddies that are saving people from roof tops at this very second that were told no more boats. They just went to a diff disaster area and were put to work this morning. Boats, supplies, oxygen tanks, food water..... everything is still needed. Gas on the front lines very important. Filling boats coming back. Some spots take over an hour by boat to get to.

They are turning around boats trying to get into Houston as its saturated with boats. The problem is south of Houston now. Like Wharton, Texas is in need of boats and supplies if your looking to get to them. There is always somewhere to launch a boat, just have to push through till you find where you are needed. People with jacked up trucks are needed everywhere when the water recedes, to shallow for boats. People with giant smokers are a huge help down there at the staging points feeding rescuers and victims.

Do not go down there unarmed.

Step ladders for getting on and off boat were golden.

Waze & Zello apps are crucial

Real life, not fake news:

Boat rescuers being hijacked and shot at is absolutely positively true.

Cody located the dog we rescued and he is going down to pick it up. Amazing he found it. I can't wait to see him.

There is so much to say and tell y'all about, but emotionally I just can't. I rambled all this as it came to me.

We're not heros, just rescuers that were available and knew we could help immediately.

Amazing to see everyone running supplies down there. If you can run supplies down there, do it.

It's an extreme mess.

[Linked Image]

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12410273 09/01/17 07:32 PM
T
TarponFly Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

Team Waco Floatilla and DFW. This was part of our team. Half had to leave early.

I-10 freeway.

There were 75 ft depths around.

Have to be carful driving over roads still partially underwater with medians and walls strung along the hyw

[Linked Image]

Re: DFW area guide helps Houston flood victims [Re: TexExp] #12410376 09/01/17 09:05 PM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
A SPECIAL THANKS YOU TO ALL!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide