Print Thread
Wyoming??? #12328882 07/08/17 12:13 AM
W
WillEng Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Im planning on taking a week or so long Wyoming fly fishing road trip later this summer, and was wondering if yall had any suggestion of some good locations in WY?

Thanks!

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12329507 07/08/17 01:54 PM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Wyoming is darn big place. The Medicine Bow south of Rawlins is often over looked. At least turn due west on the state hwy at Cheyenne and drive through there, part is above the timber line then back N to pick up the big road at Rawlins.

There are whole books on fishing Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons however... Going N from Jackson and past the fish hatchery, look for a road to the east to Kelly, take it. Just before Kelly is a road to the N for about 100 yards and then it turns east again (around a local swimming hole / pond) and climbs a hill. First you will find Slide Lake with a paved campground. Keep going (the road changes from pavement to gravel) and you will go through National Forrest "primitive" camp spots. Keep going, you will find a small meadow between the road and Silver Creek (just shortly before a wooden bridge). This is a great free camping spot but you may wake up to find you are sharing it with a bunch of horse trailers as it seems some trail rides use it as a starting point. It is a couple of acres, lots of room. Looking to the west is a beautiful view of the Grand Tetons framed in the gap / pass you had come through.

You can continue upstream for some miles terminating at a trail head. On several occasions I have fished along there and only seen 2 or 3 cars / trucks go by the whole day. It may not be the 5 star spot for catch but I have caught fish there on Humpies but it is 5+stars for solitude. You may do better matching the hatch. I also arranged a float down the Snake from Jackson with guide and McKenzie boat and it was well worth it (not expensive, ask at any fly shop).

I could write many paragraphs about fishing Yellowstone but let me say that it is frustrating to stand in the Yellowstone River and trout will hold on your downstream side as you break the current. I suppose that I favor the Madison. I am jealous

Last edited by TioPick; 07/08/17 10:50 PM.
Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12329999 07/08/17 09:28 PM
1Fisher77316 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I 2nd the Madison. Great water and great fish.
Tight lines
1Fisher77316

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12330943 07/09/17 04:44 PM
Roper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Man. Wyoming is the greatest place on earth. Went my first time last October and it was unreal. Fell in love.
I went with a couple buddies from Denver. Fished for two days at various places along the North Platte River. Followed it to the Colorado line.
We drove up to Casper the first night and stayed in a hotel. Woke up the next morning and drove down by Alcova and fished Gray Reef Reservoir for a bit. There's the Reef Fly shop right there, and they have little cabins and a few RV sites. Great fishing down from the dam as well. Fished Pathfinder for a little while after that, then kept following the river. Wound up in Saratoga, got a room at the Gray Wolf Lodge which was awesome. Drank a bit, eat steak, drank more and decided we weren't done fishing so we walked down the street and fished under the bridge until 2am.
Woke up the next morning and kept at it again. Fished our way clear back to Breckenridge. It was a spur of the moment trip completely unplanned and it was one of the most memorable times of my life. Now we're going to make it a yearly pilgrimage.

I highly suggest taking a vehicle and just driving and fishing. Tons of places.
Definitely hit Gray Reef and the Miracle Mile though. You'll have a blast!
Enjoy yourself.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12331338 07/09/17 10:55 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
The North Platte and the creeks that feed into it are my favorites. Hack's Outfitters in Saratoga can set you up for a river float or private property fishing. We rent rafts from Hack's and float north to a designated pick up point and they come get us and take us back in to Saratoga. If you happen to be in Saratoga, visit the hot springs. It's a great place to soak your tired muscles.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12331569 07/10/17 02:03 AM
W
WillEng Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Thanks for the responses, definitely needed the help!

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help. -Ronald Reagan
Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12336577 07/13/17 12:44 AM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Doing it my way, I would tell you to be packed and leave after work so that from Houston you get at least past D-FW. As much as I love west Texas (I am a RED Raider, you can see it quite well at 70 mph, even at night. 287 to Amarillo then Guymon, Lamar and Limon (still on 287) where you pick up I-70 into Denver and I-25 to Cheyenne. I mis-spoke a little before when I talked about Medicine Bow. I should have mentioned Saratoga by name. I went and wet my line just below the brideg just because, Darn it, I had driven this far and I was going to fish. My 2nd ex-wife and my 2 boys checked out the hot spring. I don't remember the name of the lodge Everyone was happy. So take 130 on the west side of Laramie to Saratoga, visit then N back to the big road.. I70 to Rock Springs and 191 to Jackson and let the fun begin. From West Yellowstone it is a short hop to Henry's Fork... I never checked it out and I don't know that I would wade in with everyone and let them see how much of a fisherman I am not but sometimes I think I should have at lease gone and watched others.

As a former trucker I can assure you that the secret to covering miles is to not stop... or only stop when necessary and make it quick. Do consider fishing east of Kelly as I mentioned. More than the fish count, I value the beautiful stream with mountains and having all to yourself. Oh, and traffic in Yellowstone comes to a stop where there are animals, everybody jumps out, takes pictures, jumps back in cars and the next group moves up. I fished mostly ants, grasshoppers and Humpies but Royal Wulff's in the riffles were best. Did I overlook anything? Coming back is the hard part.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12336650 07/13/17 01:34 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
thats a great place
so much water
i couldn't catch anything with light spin tackle & Blue Mepps spinners
with a Powerbait attractor

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12341470 07/15/17 11:45 PM
C
CedarCreekWoody Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Man, you've received some great Advice! Iv9e fished tbe Snake River around Jackson but would prefer the streams detailed above. Sounds like a great trip ahead.

Woody
Sea-Pro 170 CC
90 HP Mercury Saltwater

2014 Sun Tracker DLX 18
60 HP Mercury four stroke.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12381861 08/11/17 03:05 PM
G
Goin_Coastal Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Check out my buddy at the North Platte Lodge in Alcova, name is Trent Tatum. He is from SE Texas but went to school up there and never looked back. Great guy, great operation.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12399847 08/24/17 10:55 PM
D
ditchpickel21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
i don't know if I'm to late but if you are in the jacksonhole wy area. over the just over the pass idaho on the henrys fork is some of the best fishing for monster brown trout. I go up there every summer for a few months to fish pm me if you want some specific spots or a guide recommendation.

Re: Wyoming??? [Re: WillEng] #12449293 10/01/17 11:28 PM
T
TioPick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
OK, report in. Where all did you go; how was the weather? the scenery? the fishing? I am trying to figure out how my wife and I can do this next summer. It is hard to stay motivated with medical issues but help me out with motivation

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide