Print Thread
Say no to minnow #12380113 08/10/17 08:12 AM
B
Bubba Broadus Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Tired of buying aerator batteries, adding ice to the water, and finishing the day out too soon with those expensive minnows that have already died? It don't have to be this way. Why buy expensive crappie rods if you're just going to fish live bait? Good quality rods allow you to feel the slightest bite when finessing these picky summer crappie into a thump. Summertime patterns are the most consistent pattern to fish. Knowing a few things about summer crappie will put more on your hook and fill those live wells more often. There is generally less rainfall, which in turn means less current. This allows water to settle out and tend to clear up a little, which means more light enters the depths. Clearer water and more light penetration equals lighter colors when selecting the right Jig colors. Summer is no different than any other time of year. Different levels of light allow different colors to be visible or invisible to crappie. Like I said, summertime should push you to lighter colors. Another important thing to consider is contrasting your colors. If the wavelength that makes a particular color visible is not penetrating the water at the depth the crappie are holding on the day you are fishing, and you are using a jig that is, say solid white, the whole jig will be hard for them to spot. It is always wise to use Jigs with at least two colors. Light penetration is an important factor during anytime of the year. Most reputable jig companies have done the homework for you when combining colors. Whether you fish plastics or hair Jigs, and I'd advise you to have both, there are a lot of good Jigs on the market. Most will be glad to tie you any custom colors you may want to try for yourself. The key to being a successful jig fisherman, is to keep trying and not get discouraged. Over time you will begin to build confidence in a few Jigs. There will come a day, to build that confidence, you will have to leave the minnow bucket at the house. Along with all the headaches that come with them. My goal at Spirit Jigs has always been to, whether in the baitshop or in the boat, teach folks to find and catch crappie without an expensive boat and electronics while using Jigs and eliminating the need to buy expensive minnows and the effort it takes to keep them alive. You shouldn't have to drop 3 grand on a 12" screen to put some crappie in the freezer. I want folks to be able to go out the next day in their boat with a jig, anytime of the year,with what I've taught them, and have crappie for supper. It is my passion to share the knowledge God has allowed me to learn with folks. My knowledge is free and I no longer charge for trips although I never turn down a blessing from God if you are moved to do so. Hit me up sometime and if you are ever on Murvaul, drop by the baitshop and we'll talk crappie over a cup of fresh coffee. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we don't sell minnows during the summer ( too much trouble keeping them alive) lol. Have a blast on the water and enjoy Gods creation.

Last edited by Bubba Broadus; 08/15/17 04:30 PM.
Re: Spirit Jigs/ dead minnows [Re: Bubba Broadus] #12380144 08/10/17 11:19 AM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Ive never crappie fished murval, only bass fished and hunted it. Thanks for the info.

Re: Spirit Jigs/ dead minnows [Re: Bubba Broadus] #12380548 08/10/17 05:12 PM
B
Bubba Broadus Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Absolutely!! Come holler at me next time and I'll direct you to some hot brushpiles and stumps

Re: Spirit Jigs/ dead minnows [Re: Bubba Broadus] #12382575 08/11/17 10:59 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Amen, brother. I'd go to Murvaul, but a lil far for me.

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: Spirit Jigs/ dead minnows [Re: Bubba Broadus] #12385959 08/14/17 11:03 PM
B
Bubba Broadus Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B