Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bait progression during a day of fishing? #12337278 07/13/17 02:53 PM
S
Savage243 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
What does a typical day look like for y'all as far a bait progression throughout a day of fishing.

Scenario: Your day starts at 6 a.m. and runs through 6 p.m. with the most typical hot summer partly cloudy days.

I think this might be interesting to see the different approaches to bass fishing.

Woo! Tungsten Pro Staff
https://wootungsten.com/
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337394 07/13/17 03:52 PM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Do yourself a favor and avoid this type of thinking. There is not really a progression to go through during a day of fishing. There is what is going on in front of you at that moment and you should fish according to that premise.

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: epicoutdoors] #12337437 07/13/17 04:13 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
Do yourself a favor and avoid this type of thinking. There is not really a progression to go through during a day of fishing. There is what is going on in front of you at that moment and you should fish according to that premise.

I think you can still have a plan going into the morning... as far as the rest of the day it depends on the areas i try to fish. Partly cloudy morning i would probably have topwater/SqBill/Chatterbait/Jig tied on and ready to go, could easily add in TRig but i just dont fish it that much. These baits are for if i plan to start shallow in the morning as i want to search water and use the jig to hit cover. After that it really just depends on what i learned in the morning, usually this time of the year i end up out deep during the day so having Deep Divers/C-Rigs/Big jigs/Drop Shot ready would get me started. I try not to stray too far away from what i have confidence in, unless i figure something out or receive information.

Last edited by UTDmiller; 07/13/17 04:14 PM.

John Miller
Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337440 07/13/17 04:15 PM
F
FlatBack4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I learned long ago, fish only bite under certain conditions. And, only they know what those conditions are at that moment.

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: epicoutdoors] #12337445 07/13/17 04:17 PM
Fishinfellow Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors

In the heat of the summer I think I'd have to agree with epic. Spring or fall may be different and lake with grass may also play differently in summer months, but once it gets hot, those fish find a deep home and they don't move too much.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337448 07/13/17 04:18 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Savage243
What does a typical day look like for y'all as far a bait progression throughout a day of fishing.

Scenario: Your day starts at 6 a.m. and runs through 6 p.m. with the most typical hot summer partly cloudy days.

I think this might be interesting to see the different approaches to bass fishing.

Good question!

I start out throwing a 5 inch hollow belly swim bait shallow. If nothing happening, I paddle out to 5 to 10 foot depths and throw it there. If there are stumps around I throw it there no matter what depth it is. If its not too windy I'll paddle out to the 20 to 25 foot depths and throw it there. de If still nothing I'll paddle back shallow and start all over. If nothing the second round through, I'll stick that swim bait on a carolina rig. bang If I'm getting pizzed taz I'll make a couple of casts with a spinner bait or deep diving crank bait. If I get bit on either of these other two baits, thumb I'll start throwing the swim bait again to see if they will hit it. cheers Its been slow this year. hmmm

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337477 07/13/17 04:33 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
My progression typically starts with rigging up 15 or so rods with different baits from T-rigs, poppers, spinner baits, swim baits, lipless cranks, deep divers, etc., all different rigs so I don't have to tie on a lure while on the water. Then when i hit the water i throw the popper for about 20-30 minutes and then the t-rig the rest of the day. And when I get home I think about how next trip I am going to commit to one of those other lures and not just throw the t-rig all day.

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12337503 07/13/17 04:42 PM
T
TexanTiger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
My progression typically starts with rigging up 15 or so rods with different baits from T-rigs, poppers, spinner baits, swim baits, lipless cranks, deep divers, etc., all different rigs so I don't have to tie on a lure while on the water. Then when i hit the water i throw the popper for about 20-30 minutes and then the t-rig the rest of the day. And when I get home I think about how next trip I am going to commit to one of those other lures and not just throw the t-rig all day.

story of my life...except i throw frogs for an hour

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337521 07/13/17 04:52 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
8 rods start with topwater typically, or maybe a bigger swimmer depending on the lake. Then spinnerbait or jig, then trig, then sqaure bill to just find a bite... generaly you find a little somthing and that throws ypu down a rabbit hole haha

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12337567 07/13/17 05:15 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
This time of year; at sunrise, I like to travel across the lake from a ramp to a main lake point scanning as I go.

Depending on what I see on the water and on the graph will tell me where to start.

I'd like to start with early morning topwater and get bit on that all day; but sometimes you'll see lots of bait fish and aggressive bass activity on your graph at 25ft first thing in the morning.

Difficult to predict day to day even on the same lake; but they usually are deep by mid day this time of year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: FlatBack4] #12337823 07/13/17 07:30 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
I learned long ago, fish only bite under certain conditions. And, only they know what those conditions are at that moment.

Fish are always biting somewhere on every body of water.
As far as a progression of baits, I've never gave it a thought really. I have an idea of where I think the fish are at and use whatever to try and catch them. If that doesn't work I move and try other stuff

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: TexanTiger] #12337853 07/13/17 07:46 PM
R
RJF1423 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: TexanTiger

That is me to a T... Except it's a Popper, frog or Spook.

The only thing is that every hour or so that I don't get a bite, I will pick up a jig or something I don't fish with and throw like 3 casts and think to myself "this lure sucks" and go back to the T-rig.

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: RJF1423] #12337868 07/13/17 07:52 PM
T
TexanTiger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: RJF1423

The only thing is that every hour or so that I don't get a bite, I will pick up a jig or something I don't fish with and throw like 3 casts and think to myself "this lure sucks" and go back to the T-rig.

if they aint biting a T-Rig ...then they aint biting!...could be the moon...wait no its the wind...no its them temperature....

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: TexanTiger] #12338179 07/13/17 10:29 PM
J
JMac-D Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: RJF1423

if they aint biting a T-Rig ...then they aint biting!...could be the moon...wait no its the wind...no its them temperature....

Pretty much sums it up lol

Re: Bait progression during a day of fishing? [Re: Savage243] #12338205 07/13/17 10:48 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I break the day down into 3 sections:
- Early morning top water with a spook.
- Move to mid range at 5 to 10 ft. follow the fish back to where they live.
- At 11:00 move to deep water where they live. Work the ledges with heavy cover on top.

Two men in the boat always helps to develop a pattern once you move form the shallows.
- Keep the boat on the magic contour depth of 20 ft.. Follow that contour in and out around points looking for irregular features.
- Man in front casting to the shallow water on the points, sides of the points, inside bends of creeks and slopes.
- Man in the back drags a Crig. on the 20 ft. contour. His depth changes with ever turn of the boat as the line is way out the back of the boat. It is dragged down the sides of points, across the points and parallel with heavy cover that may extend out to the 20 ft. drop.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide