Print Thread
Jetty & Pier Trip - July #12301759 06/20/17 12:39 AM
M
Matt AKfishco Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
So I'm thinking about loading my boys up next month and taking them on a serious "fish hard, sleep a little, eat, do nothing else" trip next month. They're 14 & 16 and both are good anglers (and after our Key West trip earlier this month aren't ready to resign themselves to the bass and catfish of East Texas). I was considering making the haul to Port Aransas and fishing the jetties and pier there one day, moving down to Packery the next day, and maybe, if I'm feeling adventurous, taking the plunge and driving all the way down to South Padre to finish it off. Ideally, I want a shot (multiple shots) at tarpon, but we're all perfectly happy with reds, jacks, sharks, smacks, ladyfish, snappers and whatever else wants to pull. Probably leave here on a Wednesday, and fish Thu/Fri/Sat...early morning Sun, then take the long haul home.

Plan is to bring Penn Mariner MH rod w/Clash 8000 (400 yards of 50lb power pro) for bigger fish and for fishing bottom, and a Medium action rod and with 20lb line for tossing lures. I haven't been south of Port A in probably 25 years though, so it's kind of crapshoot for me. I'm looking for any suggestions on other spots (no 4WD and no boat sadly) we might want to hit, bait shop recommendations, tips, tricks, and maybe the name of a good, clean, cheap hotel in the Aransas area.

I appreciate any info you guys are kind enough to share. Looking forward to some time with my boys and some time in the salt.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12302176 06/20/17 11:23 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I wasn't sure if you needed info on mustang island or just South Padre. Here is mustang. I haven't stayed at any of the hotels in Aransas pass but I know there is one less expensive one on 361 ( airline inn or some aviation name). For fishing the north end of the island Woody's bait in AP on the road to the ferry.. There's an IGA grocery store in AP, Whataburger, dairy Queen and Subway. The rest are sit down restaurants. For good seafood there's Fins. They will cook your catch for you as well.

As far as fishing you will need a beach pass for anyplace but the jetties or pier. Any convenience store has them for 10. The beach down to probably beach access 2 is usually covered up in swimmers, partiers and bathers but you can fish it early and late. I would choose bob hall pier over Horace Caldwell. On the south end of mustang and north Padre, all the better bait shops are in flour bluff, accross the bridge. Bait barn is good, there are several others just off the bridge. Red dot comes to mind. Check the tides and fish packery when there is movement. The first 6 miles of PINS is 2wd. After that it is 4wd. Hope this is new info and not redundant. Good luck.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.
Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12302179 06/20/17 11:24 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Forgot. There's also a Domino's pizza.

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: jnd59] #12306085 06/22/17 02:31 PM
M
Matt AKfishco Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Awesome, I appreciate the information very much. I've got a Subaru Crosstrek...It's AWD but doesn't have a ton of ground clearance, so I'm not sure how brave I'll be on the beach. Probably play it safe and stick to the jetties and piers. Planning on freelining live shrimp, soaking cut bait, maybe live croaker on bottom, and throwing some big silver spoons. That sound about right?

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12307620 06/23/17 04:17 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Yep

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12309193 06/24/17 03:39 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
That will work. The beach all along mustang island is groomed daily and is 2wd. I've had luck freelining mullet if you can keep the ladyfish away. The beach pass may be $12 now but is good until Dec 31st.

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12309438 06/24/17 01:39 PM
B
boocat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I might stick in one area and not waste all that fishing time driving to sp

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12309554 06/24/17 03:15 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I listed bait barn but it is bait bucket.

Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: Matt AKfishco] #12310040 06/25/17 12:14 AM
S
sfotw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I make the trip to Port Aransas and Corpus just about every month for the past few years and I have learned a few things.

Don't bother with the Aransas ferry boats unless you just really want to wait in line anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours for a 5 minute ride. Go ahead and go through Corpus and use highway 358 to get to highway 361 which will start you out at Packery channel. Don't bother with the boat ramp area at packery, just go onto the beach to park next to the jetty. Take a look around and see if anyone is catching anything, and what tide is running. Sundown and Sunrise I like to throw jigs for trout. They will be close in to the rocks. Silver or gold spoons for the Spanish macks and redfish. I throw out a small bottom rig with shrimp fish bites to catch croaker or pin fish to use for cut bait or live bait if they are small enough. You never know what will bite on cut bait with a bottom rig. If nothing is happening at Packery, I head north on 361 and see what's happening at the bridges for wading. Keep heading north to beach access 2 or 3 for surf fishing. I keep moving on the beach until I start catching, then I will set up and stay for an hour or two. I keep on heading north in Port Aransas to the big jetty. Same deal as Packery, but be prepared to make the long walk. The long walk that you have to carry everything. But it can be worth it, big fish out there at the end of the jetty. Tarpon on a nice clear water day. You can also catch a boat to the north jetty and St. Jo island, the crowd is much thinner and the fishing is great.

You can camp pretty much anywhere on the beach, just not in the dunes and watch the tides so you don't wake up wet!

Don't bother with frozen squid or shrimp unless you like hardheads. Shrimp flavored fish bites cut into small pieces will catch a lot of different fish. Live shrimp and popping corks, or live shrimp freelined are killer at the jetties and piers. If you have a cast net, you get free bait.

Now, some non specific things, there is nothing between Packery channel and Port Aransas as far as gas stations or food. So get your ice and drinks before you hit the beach or wading the bay. Hotels and motels on the island are around 150 a night. Hotels on highway 358 in Corpus are around 80 and up a night. And your about 30 minutes away from fishing. Red dot pier can be really good. The IGA supermarket in Port Aransas has awesome breakfast biscuits until they sell out in the morning. Get there early. I have 2 plastic 5 gallon water cans for fresh water. Nice to wash up with on the beach.

Good luck and good fishing!

Last edited by sfotw; 06/25/17 12:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Jetty & Pier Trip - July [Re: sfotw] #12312386 06/26/17 09:56 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: sfotw
The IGA supermarket in Port Aransas has awesome breakfast biscuits until they sell out in the morning. Get there early. I have 2 plastic 5 gallon water cans for fresh water. Nice to wash up with on the beach.

Whoa, IGA has breakfast biscuits? Are these in the deli section or up front?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide