texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,738
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. #12311000 06/26/17 12:57 AM
B
Bassin Fever Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
My wife and I were at Champion today towing the dock back after the 75 plus winds blew down the lake a little.
I had my Skeeter with the 225 engine and we pulled it slowly back to its original postion by the ramp. The dock got hung on a branch and one of the straps we were holding it with popped off so I just dove in after it. Grabbed it handed it to my wife and my wife asked how I wa gonna get back in the boat. I had one of those rope ladders in a box but I wanted to try the motor trick that every body says works. I even used to teach Boater safety in my Wildkife management classes and told the students if you fall in all you have to do is swim to the back of the boat, lower the motor, put a foot on each side of the motor plate. Hit the motor trim switch up and slide up and o over the motor. Simple ------ WRONG
I did just like the manual said lifted me up out of the water, the motor I found is too high t go over so I tried to step from left side onto the back of boat. My foot slipped off the back slope of boat, my other foot slid ff of motor plate. I straddled the rear of the motor.... One leg n one side one on the other. My family Jewels in the middle. I just let go fell back in the water and swam to the bank.
Moral of story don't believe everything you read in the water safety manual, or what the teacher says.... [censored] my jewels are aching my inside of my thighs red as a radish and I'm walking like a fence post was shoved up my buttocks.
My question is has any one else ever tried this and what success did you have.
Maybe I did it wrong but from now on I'll take my chances with the rope ladder or buy a boat the has a pull out ladder. Wife is still laughing and keeps asking me if I need to go to the doctor.

Last edited by Bassin Fever; 06/26/17 12:58 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311065 06/26/17 01:50 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You are right most motors are too tall to straddle over. Just belly up on the motor and swing legs around to the front, hanging on for dear life. Ha... Glad you didn't get cut by the prop. as you went back in the water.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311079 06/26/17 02:05 AM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
This is another Wow posting for me.

I made a posting on here several years ago about getting back in the boat if you were in the water for whatever reason. Not nearly as easy as most people think. I took a lot of grief on here for my posting but as I said then and I'll say now, give it a shot and tell us how it worked for you. Be safe....

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311080 06/26/17 02:05 AM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I might add, (duh) make sure the motor is off before you do this! banana
I have done it, a regular ladder won't fit on my Triton.

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311116 06/26/17 02:27 AM
B
Bassin Fever Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Donald I just wanted to see if it could be done. We were fairly close to the shore about fifteen to twenty yards away. I've read and taught this method to my students. It's not as easy as one thinks because when you raise the motor your at an angle that your feet are bound to slide forward. I think if you were in cold water it would get you up out of the water but the height of the motors will not get your belly up and over the top. There's also not a lot to grab onto on the Yahmaha I have.
Al your right about the motor being off... Lol
It's something I've always thought I wanted to try and now I know how difficult it really is. Moral of story is don't fall in and keep a life jacket that you can reach for or better wear it.
Bloo I don't know why anybody would give you any grief about being safe on the water, all they gotta do I try it like I did today. They'll realize how hard it is getting back in. I'm really thinking about figuring out something else such as those steps you slide out. Don't think they'll fit a Skeeter but there's gotta be something that can be done for better safety. I'm getting older and realizing I'm not as invincible as I once thought I was. I am 6'2" and only weigh 212 and in decent shape ( run 5 K's still) but this is not the life saver it is made out to be in the safety manuals. JMHO

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311130 06/26/17 02:34 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I've done it once.....just to prove I could do it. It is NOT something I ever want to do again, but, as a last resort I know I can. I have a smaller motor and I also have a boat with a large splash well and no jack plate. If it were the Skeeter I was on on today...I don't think it would be possible. At least the Skeeter has a pull out rope ladder....even if the talon is almost dead in the way.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311137 06/26/17 02:39 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Imagine trying to do that in January with several layers of clothes on. I'm glad you posted this and hope everyone takes it to heart, especially those like me that are getting a little age on them. I have a pull down ladder on my Phoenix and I don't think it would be a piece of cake getting back in the boat using that ladder.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. [Re: Bassin Fever] #12311175 06/26/17 03:01 AM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
I had a fold down ladder on back of my old Skeeter Wrangler and have one now on my Nitro. Both of them worked great!

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide