Forums59
Topics1,037,829
Posts13,935,210
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
In my opinion: (for what thats worth) Pictures added. #12310604 06/25/17 04:12 PM
ERNEST PATY Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Beginner Crappie fishermen, and lots of more experienced ones too, make equipment mistakes based on what they think or have heard. As with any opinions this does not apply in all cases or on all lakes.

RODS:
Myth: Lighter rods, especially ultra lite, are more sensitive and should be used for Crappie fishing.
Fact: Stiffer rods will transmit the vibration of a bite better than soft ones. The very light rods absorb some of the vibration and make them harder to detect. With a stiffer rod you can feel and work thru brush better than with softer rods. Its also easier to shake the jig loose.

Ultra lite rods will not handle big fish as well as stiffer ones.

For casting and dock shooting I prefer a 5-6 light action such as BPSs Crappie Maxx.

For vertical fishing I prefer a 7 or 8 rod such as an ACC Crappie Stix (GSO8M) or a Pro Angler light action with 6 of the tip cut off. These rods are in the $50-$60 price range. (To test a rods tip stop running the line thru the guides at the guide one short of the tip and fish with it a bit.) Don't be afraid to modify a rod (or a boat) to make it better.

For a really good rod for little money ( I have four and use them regularly) Walmart has a line of Shakespeare rods that are perfect.
Excursion EXS66 2M 66 (Medium action 2 piece). Also comes in 60 and 70. Priced at only $18.88.

Line:
For casting and dock shooting I prefer 6# high viz mono. (Its very important for you to see the line, dont worry about the fish seeing it).
For Brushpiles and timber I use 20# braid with a 12# clear mono leader. To keep things simple I attach the leader with a small #12 swivel. I dont think the leader gets me more bites but it might at times, mainly I use it because it makes retying jigs on faster and easier. I prefer Sufix 832 , 20# bright yellow. Any high viz will work.

Jig Heads:
Many people try to use very light jig heads. Its true that occasionally that will get you more bites but on average you will also miss a lot of them and a good solid feel of the jig is important.
I pour most of my heads. I usually use 1/8oz or 1/4oz unpainted. When its windy or Im fishing deeper I will use a 3/8oz. (The fish dont seem to care)

(HINT: Using a heavy jig head hangs up less, makes it easier to shake jig loose when it does hang and allows me to bang the brush to make the fish start biting.) I think the heavy jig banging the brush knocks algae loose and excites the fish and bait to feed.

Baits:
I know hand tied jigs work well. I have caught many thousands of Crappie on them but I now use mainly plastics.
Every trip requires you to try to find what works best right then, not yesterday or last week. I usually start big and go down in size until something works. I know Im getting spoiled but with all the fish in the lake now its rare that we arent getting fish right from the first drop.
With the bigger baits available I use a bigger hook most of the time. (#2)
Any plastic bait will catch fish. Its the jigger, not the jig.
If I had to pick only two colors they would be white/chartreuse and black/chartreuse but I carry and use all color combinations.
2 to 3 large profile to start. I prefer tough plastic.

Where to fish.
To me the ideal lake would be a bowl with little timber or natural brush. The fish would flock to what little there was or to man-made brushpiles.

Way too many anglers go to the lake with no real plan or confident starting place.
Confidence in what and where you fish is critical to success.

I fish brushpiles that I built, rocks, riprap, old concrete and submerged trees. Sunken boats are also good at times. Lewisville is full of them.
Bridges are good but I rarely fish them from the pontoon.

About brushpiles. Once you put a pile in the lake its no longer yours. Other anglers will find it or see you on it. When you see someone on it dont get upset, just go somewhere else. Best bet, concentrate on one lake and build several piles. Then you will always have a good place to fish.

These are just my opinions and I know that not everyone will agree but they work for me.

Last edited by ERNEST PATY; 06/26/17 01:38 AM.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310609 06/25/17 04:21 PM
N
NitroGlistenin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Saving this one to my notes. Can use all the help I can get. Thx!!

“Livescope: (noun.) 1. A tool used by fish to frustrate the ever livin’ daylights out of fishermen.”
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310626 06/25/17 04:49 PM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
As always, good stuff Ernest!

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310640 06/25/17 05:14 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Surely you wrote this yesterday while it was raining like crazy, cause today is just too pretty for fishing. noidea

I've learned a lot from you Ernest, and I totally agree. You don't have to spend a lot of money to catch crappie, and have fun at it too. You just have to be focused on how to catch them, and then have fun at it. And oh yes, share that experience with others, especially the part about where to fish - but, not the gps coordinates! roflmao

Last edited by DFW-fisherman; 06/26/17 10:48 AM.
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310657 06/25/17 05:37 PM
C
crappieman1985 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Nice job, as always, well done!

I told my boss I wouldn't be in today, I got my arm in a cast!!!
=========================================================
I have spent most of my life fishing. . . the rest I've just wasted.
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310674 06/25/17 06:05 PM
M
MilesHunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Great, great stuff Ernest! This is a must read for all new crappie fisherman.

Miles
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310702 06/25/17 06:37 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
clap Bravo!!

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310722 06/25/17 07:09 PM
J
JigandJeep Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The real question is what came first, the idea that the Pro Angler 8 footer is better with the tip being off or the pro angler 8 footer tip breaking off? I know for me it was an accidental break the first day that I had it. Clipped it down to the second eye and it's become my favorite vertical jigging rod.

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310739 06/25/17 07:25 PM
A
ATM97 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Thanks for the great info as always Ernest. Have a proangler tip that is 6" shorter will have to try out next trip.

You prefer painted or bare lead for heads and any go to paint colors? Thanks

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310806 06/25/17 08:49 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
For those that like a stiffer tip, ProAngler has tips for the 8 ft that are 3" shorter and stiffer. No need to break your current rod unless you just like it shorter.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310875 06/25/17 10:47 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Thanks Mr. Paty, I always enjoy reading/reviewing and trying to apply any information you are will to share.

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310901 06/25/17 11:14 PM
C
Coop-Dogg Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Great info Mr Ernest can you provide more info on how deep you place a brush pile and where. Thanks Coop

Cooper
Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: DFW-fisherman] #12310922 06/25/17 11:37 PM
C
Crappie Cat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
[quote=DFW-fisherman]Surely you wrote this yesterday while it was raining like crazy, cause today is just too pretty for fishing.

Actually Ernest and I were on the water Sat. about noonish
and had about 50 good keepers out of about 200 by 5:00 or
so, most were caught on a 2.5" bait that I make that we call fat albert.

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12310989 06/26/17 12:50 AM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I've come to the realization that I'll never make a good crappie fisherman until I either make a crud load of homemade brush piles (which I'm about to start doing) or buy a decent fishing boat with better electronics to better see what's going on under water.

Two problems I've had my last two outings...went to RR and fished what I thought was schools of crappie going under and overpass for an hour or so, just to find out after dropping my go pro under water they were perch crazy

Last night I opted out of getting minnows on my way night fishing and got into an amazing school of large crappie, bass, and sand bass...caught one sand bass and could not get a single dang crappie on the line. I used different size and color combinations for 3.5 hours and nothing. They would chase it down, get right next to and turn at the last second. mad

I write all this to say how humbling crappie fishing can be...I'm a legitimate outdoorsman who's fluent in deer, turkey, duck, bass, catfish and took on crappie fishing last summer....and boy...I'm ate up by it.

So any time a vet drops knowledge bombs on us like this it really goes a long ways. Thanks!!!

Re: In my opinion: (for what thats worth) [Re: ERNEST PATY] #12311038 06/26/17 01:31 AM
ERNEST PATY Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Look where you think a pile should be. Protected areas from wind helps. Points are good.
It's best to build your own but when looking you need to know what a brushpile looks like on sonar.
When building a brushpile bigger is better.

See the root sticking up on this pile.

See the shadow of the root on this scan of the same tree.

(yes, I now that the location is on here)

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide