Forums59
Topics1,038,777
Posts13,952,588
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12234897 05/07/17 06:48 PM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Had my Pilot 12.0 for about 3 months and Ill think it will do fine after more time with it
i ordered thru Academy to dodge the shipping charges of 12' freight.
FWIW,Greg is on Natives Pro Staff and he didnt pay "near" retail for that Titan
Titan is a nice boat,but for the money plus rigging one could easily buy a legit boat and save some dough after registration hoop jumping

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: Neumie] #12240484 05/11/17 03:14 AM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Neumie
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Neumie, you need to add Hobie's 17T, I guess. Maybe I missed it.

It makes the new Titan look like a minnow.

Brad

It's not on the list because the PA17T is not a kayak. Frankly, I don't even really consider the PA12, PA14 and Titan as kayaks either. Actually, and many people don't know this, but when Hobie first listed the PA's on their website, Hobie themselves actually called them either "pedal crafts" or "pedal boats" (it escapes me, and I'm kicking myself for not getting a screen shot of it) and had them under a separate tab from the rest of their kayaks. So, for a short time even Hobie didn't consider them kayaks.

I really wonder what the true definition of a kayak is. I mean, is it because it's a displacement hull vs. a planing hull? If that's the case then the PA should be in that classification.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12240640 05/11/17 10:35 AM
N
NjTexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Neumie do the weights you have listed include the drives/propulsion devices on the kayaks that come with them ?
Cool spreadsheet BTW

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: NjTexan] #12240668 05/11/17 11:24 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: NjTexan
Neumie do the weights you have listed include the drives/propulsion devices on the kayaks that come with them ?
Cool spreadsheet BTW

NjTexan,

At least until Neumie responds, for the Native Propel 10, the 59 lbs. he has listed as its weight is just the polyethylene kayak. It doesn't include the seat and the drive unit.

I didn't look at the other Natives but he seems to be pulling manufacturer stats for the Natives so it'd be the same for the others, like the Propel 13.

This may vary from one manufacturer to another . . . but I doubt it. They all want to "show" their boats in best "statistical" terms and the lighter the better I would suppose.

Brad

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12240706 05/11/17 11:58 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
As mentioned, the weights listed are the minimum hull weights without the drive or seat. Similar to weight capacities, there is no industry standard for calculating the weight. Some companies weigh the kayak out of the mold when there's no handles, hatch lids, seats, etc attached. Whereas other companies get weights after all the stuff is bolted on and the kayak resembles a finished product. I do believe the major brands do list the weight of a finished rigged kayak (without the weight of the fancy seats or drive systems; if applicable).

Captain Yakker,

For me a kayak is designed with the intent to paddle. It's very clear the Hobie PA's and NW Titan were designed around the drive system and intended to be pedaled. All kayaks are displacement hulls that's why they're easier to paddle in 6 feet of water than 6 inches.

Last edited by Neumie; 05/11/17 12:37 PM.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12240800 05/11/17 01:01 PM
N
NjTexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Thanks guys I appreciate the answers.

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12245496 05/14/17 11:57 PM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
"MARKETING" is blurring the lines between kayaks and skiff's
The Titan is a pedal drive SKIFF sold buy a Kayak company
My Pescador 12.0 (85lbs)sits on that fence line being a 12.5' pedal drive on a traditional kayak hull design
Kayaks should not weigh 100lbs+
Skiffs weigh 100lb+

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12302133 06/20/17 05:20 AM
G
gotreal formerly known as getreal Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
G
banana

Anybody got reviews on some of these newer pedal drive yaks.

yup

if ye aint been skunked, ye aint been fishing! <<al einstene
IAMCOUNTRY
texas made lures. getcha some

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12302211 06/20/17 11:53 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal
banana

Some reviews here on old posts.

In general, the Predator PDL has been reviewed very favorably. Mariner Sails told me that of the new pedalers, this one gets the most attention. Downside? It seems to tump over with its high seat position. I have seen several YouTube videos where people have turtled. Usually user error, but I have rarely seen this with many other models.

The Manta Ray Propel has been popular for its lower price point, and that it cuts through the water very well. The downsides I have heard relate to a bit less area to rig it for fishing, that, and that it creates a wetter ride with water coming in over the bow in waves and wind. It has a lower carrying capacity than most.

Just a few reviews, all that I have seen, have shown the Wilderness Radar to be solid. Nothing stands out in my memory except the owners have liked them. I saw one out at the lake and it performed very well.

Jackson's new pedaler is too new, not even sure it has been released quite yet. It has a novel lower drive unit that lifts up and over obstructions or as you glide in to the bank.

Native's Titan has surprised me regarding its popularity. I thought it was just too large but it has a lot of fans. Its issue is related to cavitation on quick starts making it slow to accelerate. But, it has been well received by the really hard core anglers.

The Pescador Pilot gets great comments on its appearance, and its price too. But, of all the new pedal kayaks, it has had the most negatives related to it just seeming to have been introduced before it was really ready. I think the manufacturer has found work-arounds for most issues. Since it is a lower price point vessel, I guess one shouldn't expect it to perform like the more expensive makes. I saw one the other day, I spun the pedals and it just doens't spin as fluidly as Native Drives. It could be a contender if they fix things.

As usual, be careful buying first year introductions. Most manufacturers have no qualms about putting out products with some flaws or some "unknowns" for us users to sort out for them.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 06/20/17 11:56 AM.
Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: Brad R] #12302240 06/20/17 12:28 PM
B
BassFever Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Brad R
banana

Some reviews here on old posts.

In general, the Predator PDL has been reviewed very favorably. Mariner Sails told me that of the new pedalers, this one gets the most attention. Downside? It seems to tump over with its high seat position. I have seen several YouTube videos where people have turtled. Usually user error, but I have rarely seen this with many other models.

The Manta Ray Propel has been popular for its lower price point, and that it cuts through the water very well. The downsides I have heard relate to a bit less area to rig it for fishing, that, and that it creates a wetter ride with water coming in over the bow in waves and wind. It has a lower carrying capacity than most.

Just a few reviews, all that I have seen, have shown the Wilderness Radar to be solid. Nothing stands out in my memory except the owners have liked them. I saw one out at the lake and it performed very well.

Jackson's new pedaler is too new, not even sure it has been released quite yet. It has a novel lower drive unit that lifts up and over obstructions or as you glide in to the bank.

Native's Titan has surprised me regarding its popularity. I thought it was just too large but it has a lot of fans. Its issue is related to cavitation on quick starts making it slow to accelerate. But, it has been well received by the really hard core anglers.

The Pescador Pilot gets great comments on its appearance, and its price too. But, of all the new pedal kayaks, it has had the most negatives related to it just seeming to have been introduced before it was really ready. I think the manufacturer has found work-arounds for most issues. Since it is a lower price point vessel, I guess one shouldn't expect it to perform like the more expensive makes. I saw one the other day, I spun the pedals and it just doens't spin as fluidly as Native Drives. It could be a contender if they fix things.

As usual, be careful buying first year introductions. Most manufacturers have no qualms about putting out products with some flaws or some "unknowns" for us users to sort out for them.

Brad

Nice break down.

Last edited by BassFever; 06/20/17 12:59 PM.
Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12302383 06/20/17 02:10 PM
P
PlanoTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
banana

Also, a handful of videos for the Jackson Coosa FD have started showing up on YouTube in the last 10 days. Looks interesting.

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: gotreal formerly known as getreal] #12302655 06/20/17 04:57 PM
L
Longliner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
If the problems that the Pescador pilot is having are addressed by the company than I don't see a problem. It's the companies that continue to put out crappy products and don't take their customers feedback in consideration.Those are the ones I refuse to buy from.

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: Longliner] #12302969 06/20/17 08:02 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Longliner
If the problems that the Pescador pilot is having are addressed by the company than I don't see a problem. It's the companies that continue to put out crappy products and don't take their customers feedback in consideration.Those are the ones I refuse to buy from.

I've read several reviews that claim customer service is top notch so that is a plus in their favor!
Time tested is just that, and they seem to try hard to improve their product and sell an affordable kayak.

Just one more cast!

Re: List of all pedal drive kayaks with prices? [Re: Jimbo] #12305601 06/22/17 02:14 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: Longliner

I've read several reviews that claim customer service is top notch so that is a plus in their favor!
Time tested is just that, and they seem to try hard to improve their product and sell an affordable kayak.

Agreed! Almost all consumer products new to the market have some issues. For automobiles, they work them out over successive model years, often taking a long time.

I agree: If Pescador stays right on the issues, it is a good looking enough kayak, has lots of great features, that it'll likely own a big piece of the pie for the lower end pedal models. It might even force some of the others, now in the low 2000s, to drop their prices in order to maintain sales volume.

Now, THAT would be something we should all be rooting for!

Brad

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide