Print Thread
Kayak Fly Fishing advice? #12298884 06/18/17 12:44 AM
C
Capt. Brendan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I just picked up a Malibu kayak for fishing and I was wondering if y'all had any tips for kayak fly fishing.

From my first few trips with it here's what I've come up with.
1. I need an anchor (the boat came with an anchor trolley but no anchor)
2. I need a proper fly rod holder
3. I need cooler tie downs for my yeti because I definitely don't wanna lose that
4. I need a better seat

What would y'all recommend for fly fishing from a kayak?

[Linked Image]
USCG Licensed Captain & Fly Fishing Guide @ Fishing Bear Lodge
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12298896 06/18/17 12:59 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I usually carry a couple of extra leaders and/or tippet material. I like having some protection on my fingers like stripping guards as fly line can eat painful holes in your skin if you strip in flies very much. A hook file is nice if your fly strikes anything hard. A little tube of UV set glue is nice for on the water repairs to flies.

Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12298944 06/18/17 01:53 AM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Try to keep the cockpit as cleared out as you can. Less stuff to hang your line on.
Go ahead and buy the 5 lb anchor. I bought the kit from academy that included a clip, a rope, and a float. I immediately replaced their rope with 50 feet of 550 lb paracord.
I just lay my rod across the top of my yak with the tip over the front. You just learn to watch out for it.
Keep thy back cast upeth! It will almost feel like a steeple cast, but it keeps you from grabbing water on your back cast. Practice in the backyard, sitting on the ground. The geometry is about the same.
Fight the fish with the rod aimed at the point on the front of the kayak. That way the front of the kayak follows the fish.
I bought a Hook 1 Assault paddle for sculling when I need to move around a little while fishing. Handy to help keep a fish out of heavy cover when I only have one hand free.
Get you a piece of the loop side of velcro with an adhesive back, and stick it on to side of your yak to keep loose flies from swirling down the scuppers.
That ought to keep you busy for a few minutes, lol.

Kirk B.

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Crazy4oldcars] #12299018 06/18/17 03:13 AM
C
Capt. Brendan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I'm gonna pick up a Cliff Float patch to slap on the kayak so I can store flies quickly.

Originally Posted By: Crazy4oldcars
I bought the kit from academy that included a clip, a rope, and a float. I immediately replaced their rope with 50 feet of 550 lb paracord.

Why'd you replace it with 550 cord?

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12299172 06/18/17 12:20 PM
B
Bruce Mc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I replaced the rope on mine because the rope was so thin it cut into my hand when I was trying to pull my anchor loose.

"Garg 'nuair dh�isgear"
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12299458 06/18/17 04:39 PM
F
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
x2 on keeping the deck clear of unnecessary items. You'll snag on stuff constantly if you have a lot of gear exposed. Stow any extra rods in a horizontal position otherwise you'll snag them for sure.

Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12299929 06/18/17 11:29 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Horizontal rod holder holds up to three rods. Bow anchor as well as the trolly anchor assistts when fishing into the wind. Good idea with the use of velcro for used flies. X10000 with having a clear as possible. Use long rods helps to keep the cast in the air and to guide a fish around the bow of the kayak.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12300125 06/19/17 01:49 AM
C
Capt. Brendan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks guys! Anybody use a stake out pole? I think it'd be easier to get set up than an anchor in shallow water but I'm not sure if it would get in the way of casting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12300345 06/19/17 06:25 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Brendan H
Thanks guys! Anybody use a stake out pole? I think it'd be easier to get set up than an anchor in shallow water but I'm not sure if it would get in the way of casting.

I've used several stake out poles. Right now, I have an 8 ft. one made from fiberglass. I use shock cord like the kind sometime used for paddle leashes to secure it to kayak. My kayak has no scuppers so I can't go through those and I would not recommend that anyway. I can stake out from either side of the kayak, but tend to off the port side most of the time.

Hard packed sand isn't very good for staking out. If the water is real shallow, you can angle in the stake out pole so it doesn't stick out too much above the water. Sometimes, I need the whole eight feet.

I think a stake out stick sets easier and more quickly than an anchor and has other advantages when fighting the fish versus an anchor. You can always bring along an anchor if you want to fish in deeper water than the stake out stick.

Its never gotten in the way of casting. I use enough shock cord to keep it from being in my casting motion and angle the stick to be out of the way. In most muddy bottoms, you can angle in the stick any way you want.

Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12303289 06/20/17 11:00 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
A mushroom anchor in 5 or 8 lb weight works well. I'm also trying out a new chain anchor I made from 2 ft of heavy chain with a bike innertube over it.
If you keep getting fly line snagged up on the deck of your yak you can put a towel across it.
On some yaks you can also sit side saddle with your feet dangling over one side. I found this a little easier to cast. Fair warning - for your kayak try it out in shallow water first. Your chances of flipping are probably higher when sitting this way.
On some water it's just as productive to put your kayak on the shore and wade a bit, plus you get a chance to stretch your legs.
A horizontal rod holder is a great addition. Make sure your fly rod/reel fits in it before buying it and mounting it. I would also thoroughly think thru where you mount it before drilling any holes. Make sure it won't be in the way when paddling or casting. I like mine slightly behind me on either side.

Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12303372 06/20/17 11:49 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline
Angler
Angler
Z
I'll weigh in on the anchor banana. I like my old window sash weight. Heavy enough to hold well even in the breeze on Twok. Spray coated it with rubber stuff. Fits perfectly in the built in rod holder so its out of the way and accessable. Easy to take up.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12303944 06/21/17 06:30 AM
C
Capt. Brendan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Well I managed to get out today and catch some fish from the kayak. A rod holder is definitely first on the list after almost losing my rod in the lake. I don't really have anything to snag on which is good. I made a little video but the place where I mounted the GoPro was a little awkward, I'm thinking about getting a proper camera mount.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak Fly Fishing advice? [Re: Capt. Brendan] #12316685 06/29/17 03:35 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I used wet bath towels to cover my decks when I was fly fishing off kayaks, and still use them on the riprap and jetties. That will cover all those potential snags a fly line always finds. Those towels do get heavy though, and stinky. Maybe a big German Chamois from Amazon? They also double as a baling rag.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide