Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? #12261017 05/24/17 06:50 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
So I started cutting sugar out of my diet back in January with the elimination of deserts, candy, donuts and pretty much all things sweet. Then a few weeks ago, I started to cut bread. I'm not cutting potatoes, rice or corn.

The problem is figuring out what to eat for breakfast. Almost all cereals have a fair amount of sugar. Lunch and dinner aren't a problem, but figuring out what to have for breakfast is. Anyone have suggestions???

Here's a breakfast salad from this morning. Sauteed together in olive oil a cut jalapeno, a little diced ham, a quarter potato, some broccoli, tomato and spinach and top with 2 eggs over easy. It was damn good!

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261066 05/24/17 07:13 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
My wife eats the mess out of eggs and egg whites.....usually one egg with whites added. My coach eats only eggs for breakfast. On a gas burner he can make a thing of eggs as fast as I can pour my coffee.

Eggs are about the best thing...protein is really the most important aspect. It's our word of the day around our house...everyday.

Sugar is everywhere....Milk even turns to sugar.

Sugar is one of those things....you surely don't want to fuel your day on.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261070 05/24/17 07:15 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
Water and lettuce have no sweets. By the time you finish eliminating food that's all you will have to eat.
Dietitians will tell you that portion control is more important.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: grandpa75672] #12261075 05/24/17 07:17 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
Water and lettuce have no sweets. By the time you finish eliminating food that's all you will have to eat.

Oh Grandpa, you so silly. If you drank water and ate only lettuce you wouldn't live long....as lettuce is mostly water and has very little food value. smile

Get some spinach, greens, kale....now you are talking!

JP, I like spinach in my eggs...it wilts down so tasty.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: grandpa75672] #12261104 05/24/17 07:30 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: grandpa75672

That's some old school thinking.

Ideally you want fresh meats, fish, fruits, nuts and vegetables with as few processed foods as possible. There is still plenty to eat, you just have to stay out of the central part of a grocery store and pick from the outside areas where the produce, fish and meats are located.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261122 05/24/17 07:39 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Grandpa, they didn't have the 5 food groups when you took health class in elementary?

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261124 05/24/17 07:41 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
JP, my wife count macros. It really helps here decide what to eat each day. It's almost like a puzzle. You plug in items, amounts and see if your daily totals meet the daily limits. I learn everything from listening to her.

All I knew before hand was 5 food groups and eat as many veggies as you can stand.

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261141 05/24/17 07:50 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Counting calories and stuff like that is not for me. I'm just trying to slowly change my diet so I am eating healthier foods. We all eat way too much wheat and sugar.

[Linked Image]
Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261221 05/24/17 08:40 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Counting calories and stuff like that is not for me. I'm just trying to slowly change my diet so I am eating healthier foods. We all eat way too much wheat and sugar.

Oh no, you got counting macros confused with counting calories.

You count carbs, protein and fat. The 3 most important things to track. Going without calories is horrible...body doesn't have energy.

Marcos is what body builders use to stay lean and muscular. It's a very healthy approach to dieting...since you can enjoy any food you wish. BUT you might shoot yourself in the foot for the rest of the day. smile

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261230 05/24/17 08:44 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
BTW you get your macro count based on your activity level, age, gender, ect...you pay someone to do that for you. Online calculators are an average. You can then adjust them up and down based on what you want to achieve. Trust me....we eat healthy.....no junk food around us.

I eat for FUEL.....without the proper fuel my bike ride or run will leave me "crashed" and dead on the side of the road. I have to eat correctly or face the horrible feeling 4 miles into the run.

I used to freak out on my wife when it was chicken breast night....ugg....but now it's all I crave! Having run, bike, swim for almost 2 years straight I found by trail and error what to eat and what fuel my body needs. I don't go putting cruddy gas in my truck....why do that to our body!! I can always buy a new truck....body.....no matter the money...it's the only one you got!

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261235 05/24/17 08:46 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I'm hitting my mid life crisis head on. I won't go down the dark roads ahead.

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12261251 05/24/17 08:52 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
https://www.iifym.com/

This is where my wife tells me to send people to find out more info on macros.

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12262048 05/25/17 11:52 AM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
My wife said many people are skipping breakfast meals, and just cooking a regular meal at breakfast time. Few more options for food.

She also said lot of folks are cooking bacon, beef patty, salmon, ect for their meat at breakfast. If you can handle the fat, choose bacon!

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12262235 05/25/17 01:50 PM
I
Indianation65 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
Bottom line...

Cutting the "joys of life" from your life is really hard.

There is no real substitute for "pleasure."

Junk food, sugar/salt, is pure pleasure.

...------

Re: breakfast cutting sugar and breads - what to eat? [Re: Indianation65] #12262303 05/25/17 02:33 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Indianation65
Bottom line...

Cutting the "joys of life" from your life is really hard.

There is no real substitute for "pleasure."

Junk food, sugar/salt, is pure pleasure.

...------

But the rewards of doing so outweigh it. Feel great, more energy, more sleep, more clear thinking, ect.

Junk Food Pleasure Last only 5 mins.....then your are done eating, bloated and regretting it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide