Print Thread
Bulk Jighead Supplier? #11989444 12/17/16 05:21 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Looking for bulk jigheads/another supplier and I need 32nd, 16th, and 8th oz heads. I use black Matzuo sickle hooks only. I like to use a #4 hook on my 16th and 8th oz jigs and #6 on 32nds.

I can't use spin cast jigheads that have to be cleaned before they're painted and I sure don't mind paying for the better quality, hand-poured heads.

Alternatively, I'm also looking for any mold maker who might be able to make a few custom molds for me. I'm happy to pour my own heads, if I can't find another supplier. I know about Jacob's and Do-It and have contacted both companies regarding custom molds (neither company makes custom molds for the public). I'd like to have a 10-12 cavity 16th oz mold and 8-10 cavity 8th oz mold made solely for #4 hook sizes. I'd be happy to pay for a precision mold but thought I'd reach out to the TFF jig crafters to see if anyone might point me in a direction of a buddy or good machinist before paying big bucks to make this happen. I know about the CAD/machine shop process and will go that route if I have to....

Either a reliable supplier or a lead on molds would be greatly appreciated. smile

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11989479 12/17/16 05:51 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I designed my own jighead, and had a mold made. Then I had a request for a special walleye style jig head with eyes. I had a prototype mold made, which passed muster, then had a 10 cavity mold made for a customer. By the time it was all said and done, I was so far upside down in production cost I just had to take the loss and put my dreams of being a mold designer away. The point of this story is that custom mold production is very expensive.

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11989484 12/17/16 05:56 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
BTW, I used to use Tim White for hand poured jig heads. Good quality with minimum flashing. I've heard, but never used, MT Pockets does nice work. Same for Ron at Nekkid tackle or I think that's his company name.

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11989593 12/17/16 07:33 PM
M
Mittens Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Take a look at Jasons jigs and zuma crappie jigs both sell lead heads in bulk with very good quality. Zuma really has an extensive line of jig heads

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990184 12/18/16 01:31 AM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
I'm well aware of the cost of designing and machining a custom mold and at this point, it's well worth it for me not to have to SHUFFLE like this when I NEED heads and can't find a supplier. I really appreciate your input, Kenny. Posting this thread is my last step before designing my own production mold. If I do have to go that far with it, I'll begin selling my own heads, too. smile

Tim isn't pouring heads right now - he's my usual supplier. I think he's down through the end of the cold season and will be back to selling heads when it gets warm... if I understood him correctly the last time we spoke. Nothing against the spin cast guys, but the quality of Tim's heads is what I'm looking for in a supplier. His heads look like ball bearings on a hook. Never any flash down the hook shank, less than 01% of the jigheads I've tied from him have any flaw at all, no loose heads, no visible seam lines (especially after painting), etc. etc... I've heard Redgun makes comparable heads but after speaking with him, it doesn't look like he'd have enough time to supply my demand.

I spoke to Mr. Somers (the owner of Zuma) and he said he couldn't keep up with the demand/jigs I'd need. I've already dealt with Moe's in the past and that's spin cast heads. The last I saw anything about Ron (Nekkid) was someone asking where he'd gone and couldn't reach him. I've just seen his latest post in the Crappie general forums and will try to contact him just as soon as I finish this reply.

Mittens - the going price for jigheads in bulk is .07-.09/head for spin cast heads and .09-.11 for hand poured. At .17 per head, Jason's Jigs might not be the best option for me. Do you know if he does bulk sales? I need someone with the ability to sell 1,000 - 3,000 (each order) with reasonable turnaround time and a fair price. I can get wholesale prices on hooks with my 637 and Sales Tax Permit.... at .02-.03 per hook, I'd be better off paying for the equipment and pouring my own heads as opposed to paying someone .15 per head to pour for me (sure hope that's not taken as being rude)... I figure there's gotta be some easier answer for me that I'm missing somewhere.

Thank both of you for your input and trying to help me, I really appreciate y'all.

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990266 12/18/16 02:50 AM
M
Mittens Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Crazy Angler or Grandpa Bobs are another two. Butch Moons custom Baits but I've never done business with him. Simply Crappie has good quality and good service for when I order 100 from him. Could be tough trying to find a supplier for that many jig heads at a crack!
Best of Luck
mittens

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990423 12/18/16 04:40 AM
N
NekidTackle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Jerry T.
I'm well aware of the cost of designing and machining a custom mold and at this point, it's well worth it for me not to have to SHUFFLE like this when I NEED heads and can't find a supplier. I really appreciate your input, Kenny. Posting this thread is my last step before designing my own production mold. If I do have to go that far with it, I'll begin selling my own heads, too. smile

Tim isn't pouring heads right now - he's my usual supplier. I think he's down through the end of the cold season and will be back to selling heads when it gets warm... if I understood him correctly the last time we spoke. Nothing against the spin cast guys, but the quality of Tim's heads is what I'm looking for in a supplier. His heads look like ball bearings on a hook. Never any flash down the hook shank, less than 01% of the jigheads I've tied from him have any flaw at all, no loose heads, no visible seam lines (especially after painting), etc. etc... I've heard Redgun makes comparable heads but after speaking with him, it doesn't look like he'd have enough time to supply my demand.

I spoke to Mr. Somers (the owner of Zuma) and he said he couldn't keep up with the demand/jigs I'd need. I've already dealt with Moe's in the past and that's spin cast heads. The last I saw anything about Ron (Nekkid) was someone asking where he'd gone and couldn't reach him. I've just seen his latest post in the Crappie general forums and will try to contact him just as soon as I finish this reply.

Mittens - the going price for jigheads in bulk is .07-.09/head for spin cast heads and .09-.11 for hand poured. At .17 per head, Jason's Jigs might not be the best option for me. Do you know if he does bulk sales? I need someone with the ability to sell 1,000 - 3,000 (each order) with reasonable turnaround time and a fair price. I can get wholesale prices on hooks with my 637 and Sales Tax Permit.... at .02-.03 per hook, I'd be better off paying for the equipment and pouring my own heads as opposed to paying someone .15 per head to pour for me (sure hope that's not taken as being rude)... I figure there's gotta be some easier answer for me that I'm missing somewhere.

Thank both of you for your input and trying to help me, I really appreciate y'all.

NekidTackle LLC is still here, just don't advertise on TFF much. We do a yearly appreciation for Veterans, Military and First Responders, at Christmas, thus I placed that notification on TFF. My business has gone pretty much National, as we sale to most States now, as well as some international locations, We have been truly blessed.

Merry Christmas,
Ron

www.nekidtackle.com
Home of the RonRig!

Like Us On Facebook

Why play with the rest when you can fish with the Best... RonRig !!
Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990600 12/18/16 01:38 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Mittens - CA is spin cast heads and also bronze hooks only.

The last time I placed an order with GB, it took the better part of FIVE months to arrive and that was only after opening a PayPal dispute.

It looks like Butch Moon deals in red, gold, and bronze sickle hooks, though I will be calling him today to see about bulk ordering black sickle.

Simply Crappie is using Eagle Claw, not Matzuo (forged point and not a needle point). Any EC (Lil Nasty) larger than #8 in size is about half as sharp as the Matzuo.

I hate to sound like a snob - so maybe the pictures will help explain a little better the issues with high production/spin cast heads....

These were the best out of 3,000 "8th" oz spin cast heads I have on hand:

None of them weigh a true 8th of an oz, either.... not even close. The best weight in the group of these = 1/10th of an oz and some of them have lead completely covering the hook eye or going down the shank as far as 3/8".

Notice how the shape of the cleanest spin cast heads I have are OVAL ?? confused They also still have to be cleaned/filed at the seam and weigh as little as 13th of an oz.

..... and... what beats all is - the smaller the heads get, the WORSE the flaws become:

These heads weigh LESS than 1/20th of an oz and are supposed to be 16th oz! I can't understand these heads being sold to me! I am so unhappy with the quality of these heads, I won't sell them to anyone else and refuse to use them in my jigs as they're not the weight they're supposed to be.

If the spin cast heads were even 80% acceptable, I'd be happy to buy them. As it stands, I've yet to find a spin cast bulk supplier that has CLEAN heads. I can paint 200+ heads (by hand) in an hour, if the heads are nice quality. If they're the type of heads I've taken pictures of, I can paint ~50 per hour, if that (and even then, the heads don't weigh the correct weight).

Moving forward, I've just private messaged Ron and I'm hopeful his bulk pricing is competitive enough to use his company. (Thank you very much for replying so quickly, Ron.) .......... and thank you for trying to help, Mittens.

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990761 12/18/16 03:21 PM
N
NekidTackle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Can you phone me

www.nekidtackle.com
Home of the RonRig!

Like Us On Facebook

Why play with the rest when you can fish with the Best... RonRig !!
Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #11990868 12/18/16 04:01 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Nice speaking with you, Ron. I appreciate your prompt help.

I also appreciate Skip's help/time on the phone this morning. I know both of you men are very busy.

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #12031651 01/10/17 04:08 PM
S
Squeaky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS... I pour some pretty clean heads. But only open every other month

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #12031774 01/10/17 04:56 PM
S
Squeaky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #12031835 01/10/17 05:40 PM
S
Squeaky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Oops... Didn't read it all .. No way I can do for .07 to .09 per head. The time alone would prevent me from making my own heads... Sorry

Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: Jerry T.] #12040954 01/15/17 08:05 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Hey JT did you find someone or did you invest in your own molds?

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Bulk Jighead Supplier? [Re: SK.] #12057231 01/24/17 03:27 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Squeaky
Oops... Didn't read it all .. No way I can do for .07 to .09 per head. The time alone would prevent me from making my own heads... Sorry

Jerry, I appreciate you trying to help. I think you misread my monster post and took the price for spin cast heads going rate as the price hand-poured rates. I expect to pay more for hand poured-heads, as should anyone. You make a mighty fine looking jighead, sir. smile I've found a supplier to get me through until I can pour my own heads. Thank you for your time.

Originally Posted By: SK.
Hey JT did you find someone or did you invest in your own molds?

Both. Ron (with Nekid Tackle) is going to help me out until I can get everything rolling for pouring my own heads. thumb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide