Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Looking for 10 pounder #11902707 10/27/16 01:25 PM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Is there any private waters to call on that have a high percentage chance of catching a 10 pound bass within a reasonable distance of Tarrant county? Thanks!

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11902774 10/27/16 02:05 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Check out Private Water Fishing. I am not sure about 10lbers but I have been lucky enough to fish a few of their lakes as a guest and they are good lakes. I think a few of them are managed with big fish in mind. Think those are in far East Texas but not sure. Salex will show up I am sure and give us info on the big bass lakes he has.

Its still fishing though. Private water or not 10lb fish just dont jump on the hook. My buddy is a member of the club and he does really well but has not got a DD. Really nothing over 7lbs. His biggest fish have come from public lakes in East Texas as have mine.

Good luck man! If you get a good lead let me know! I want a DD too!

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11902907 10/27/16 03:05 PM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks Dan, I just figured getting on a lake that is not 30k acres and managed for big fish might help my chances to get into a DD bass. If something comes up I'll keep you posted!

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11903561 10/27/16 08:39 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: jackson_ranger
Is there any private waters to call on that have a high percentage chance of catching a 10 pound bass within a reasonable distance of Tarrant county? Thanks!

I know of no where in the country where you have a high percentage of catching a 10lb bass. And I know lots of great fishing lakes. Most people will never catch one. Those who do are rare.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11903834 10/27/16 11:14 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
If you try private waters and don't catch a 10 pounder, give Toledo Bend lake a shot....seriously will put the odds in your favor. Like already stated, it's still fishing, but Toledo, Rayburn, and Fork have the big ones. Just keep in mind to "fish for a big bass" (different)to increase the odds.

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11904333 10/28/16 03:21 AM
M
Meadowlark Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
I believe certain private waters contain LMB over 10 pounds...those which have been intensively managed.

However, to expect a high % chance at catching one is unrealistic, IMO. A LMB that reached 10 or more pounds in small waters has very likely seen many different attempts at catching it...they don't get that size without a high "intelligence" factor.

My objective for my ponds is to have a 50% chance of catching a 5 pound or over LMB for every hour of fishing...and I've achieved that objective...but only through very carefully managed ponds and strict absolute limits on fishing pressure.

I just don't believe a high % chance at 10 pounders in small waters is realistic.

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11904427 10/28/16 09:41 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
I think that I know how to potentially raise a 10 pound bass. That is, I know the formula. It would be a very boring trip.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 10/28/16 09:51 AM.
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11904963 10/28/16 03:35 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I've caught several DD out of relatively small waters the largest being 12.7. The majority was on the 75 acre lake on my EX's family ranch. I'm no longer welcome to fish that amazing body of water.

Last edited by BrandoA; 10/28/16 03:36 PM.
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11905304 10/28/16 06:45 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Old blues men have a saying "if you're gonna sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues."

Same thing is true with big bass;
----- log a lot of time in a boat. Learn everything you can about fish, big fish and their habits.

And even then.... you gotta get lucky.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: Jimfishes] #11907036 10/29/16 09:45 PM
L
Longeye Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
If you try private waters and don't catch a 10 pounder, give Toledo Bend lake a shot....seriously will put the odds in your favor. Like already stated, it's still fishing, but Toledo, Rayburn, and Fork have the big ones. Just keep in mind to "fish for a big bass" (different)to increase the odds.

Nothing is in your favor when trying to catch a 10lber.

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11917426 11/04/16 11:28 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Camelot Bell is 2 hours away or less.
On a good day chances are decent ( not high like over 50% or anything) to hang into a dd- then you gotta land it- lake has a lot of brush!
To catch big bass consistently (or even just one) often requires playing the correct odds game- it's very hard so anything possible to better your odds is worthwhile.

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: Longeye] #11917724 11/05/16 02:53 AM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Longeye
Originally Posted By: Ol Man River

Nothing is in your favor when trying to catch a 10lber.

Yea, probably should have worded it different...."will help your odds" of catching a 10 pounder. All I can say, it has worked for me on Rayburn and Toledo. I have spent a lot of hours on the water on those lakes and that is most likely the biggest factor....that helped my odds!

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11933148 11/14/16 02:29 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: jackson_ranger

Define "reasonable distance."

Right then and there is where you'll see the intersection of the desire to catch something, in this case a "ten plus pound largemouth bass," and the commitment to do so, in this case travel a "reasonable distance."

So, if by "reasonable distance," we mean somewhere between here and Lake Biwa, Central Honshu, Japan, our chances rise as compared to, say within a forty-five minute drive.

Plus, like anything else, if its "pay to play," the better the play the more you pay.

From the standpoint of managing a small water body (less than 500 acres) as an income producing sport fishery, I've done some research on the issue and learned, more than once....

That commitment thingy I mentioned up above? Its pretty dang rare. Most folks just don't want to spend the time, money, effort, heartache, sacrifice, and everything else it takes to catch that also rare fish.

You create the fishery, and put it in front of the fishing public that are already paying to play, and give them the choice of other spots that are easier to catch good fish, just not ten plusses, and they quickly lose interest in the pursuit of that oh so difficult to catch fish. Going back to the easier to catch, but not quite so big, and still maybe a chance...but with so little time and work and kids, and...and...folks pretty much want a tight line for the few moments they got, what's on the end isn't all that important.

Even in a small lake with a lot of big fish, they are dang hard to catch unless you're willing to "cheat." Most private fisheries don't 'llow no cheatin'.

Some pretty good cheats....

Live bait, big ole gizzard shad, green sunfish, or even waterdog. Live now, not half dead.

Running water, fish right in front of the pump discharge, but you gotta git your bait down below the smaller fish to get to the biguns.

Feeding station, usually close to the road so the truck can get there and dump easy, fish live bait right after the truck dumps.

the short answer is, more research. I betcha more than one of the lakes in "Private Water Fishing" has what you want if you are willing to do the work it takes. You figure out which ones are the most likely and fish them enough times to learn them, then concentrate your efforts on the big fish in those spots.

If you got enough money, try the Camelot Bell bit a few times.

I got 'em at my place (maybe not such a reasonable distance), but even with a couple dozen folks fishing they don't turn up that frequently.

Best and biggest usually caught on the flats, January, February and March. 30 inches to 4 feet deep, Southern exposure, second or third day after a front.

The number one thing I see in common with everybody I know in the "ten plus" club is commitment.

Fishbreeder

Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11933779 11/14/16 07:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'll echo what the others have said. Time on the water is number one. Being a proficient trophy fisherman is number two. Fishing where they live is number three. Fishing where they live in large numbers is even better. Now I'll share a few experiences.

I've caught hundreds of DD fish. About 20 of those are from public water. Lake Fork is my home lake and I've spent a good deal of time on Rayburn, Toledo and Pinkston, too. Fishing for nothing but BIG fish. This often involves sitting in one spot (tied up) and making the same casts over and over. For hours on end. Unless you're sight fishing for bedding bass. That's a whole other endeavor in and of itself.

I used to fish at The Lakes of Danbury which fishbreeder on here played a HUGE hand in developing. The club kept a fishing log and members were asked to log their catches, lures, depths, lake, etc. On most days I would catch a ton of fish with a half dozen over 7 pounds. Some days many more than that, some days far fewer. Double digits came pretty regularly for me, there. When conditions were right. From reviewing the reports of other club members, I quickly realized that old adage really is true...10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. Now I'm no superior angler, but I focused my efforts strictly on big fish. I'd guess that fewer than 5% of bass fisherman are true big fish hunters, with the time to drop what they're doing and go after those behemoths when conditions turn perfect, during a very small window.

Camelot Bell may be one of your better options within' two hours. I've fished it more times than I can count. I've had some incredible days out there with 50-55 pounds for my best five. And I've also been skunked at Camelot Bell. At least 20 times if not more. These are pure Florida bass and they don't like the least little change in the weather. The sheer number of double digit fish in those lakes greatly increases your odds of getting your bait in front of one. Making her bite, sticking her and getting her in the boat is up to you. It's expensive and comes with no guarantees. You pay your money and take your chances. But your chances at Camelot Bell are as good as anywhere I know, and much better than almost anywhere else.

For a more reasonable fee, you can fish a bunch of different lakes and have them to yourself. Many of these are trophy fisheries and the chance at a DD is pretty good. If that sounds more like your deal, check into www.privatewaterfishing.com

I highly recommend both CB and PWF.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Looking for 10 pounder [Re: EZ_Legend] #11938227 11/17/16 02:06 PM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Fouzman and fishbreeder, thank you for the input. From what I've seen here now Private Waters can kiss it. I don't mind putting in the effort, I've caught tons of fish... just wanted (initially) to see if there was a shortcut to the DD with out cheating. As far as distance goes I'd entertain any where in Texas... might just have to plan a multi day trip. I will try to make a trip to Camelot Bell, I had also heard Winters Lake, or Lake Winters was a hot spot at one time (for big bass), any one know if this is still the case?

Thanks for the real answers guys!

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide