Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,657
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: LayBo] #11510294 03/30/16 07:05 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: LayBo
Go get you some of the circular foam bobbers, drill a small hole in them and shove a small light stick made by beacon in there. They'll last all night and you wont have to spend so much on those battery powered ones

Great idea, I'll definitely do that! Thanks!

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: MrNovice] #11510297 03/30/16 07:19 AM
C
crappieking95 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Congrats on the successful outing, next time instead of hooking them through he back hook them through the lips. It'll keep them alive much longer and to me they have more action.

Philippians 4:13
Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: crappieking95] #11510298 03/30/16 07:24 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: crappieking95
Congrats on the successful outing, next time instead of hooking them through he back hook them through the lips. It'll keep them alive much longer and to me they have more action.

I've tried that several times before, and it is much more action...but the crappie tend to steal them off the hook easier too. Maybe with less poles, I can pay more attention.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: LayBo] #11510327 03/30/16 10:37 AM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: LayBo
Go get you some of the circular foam bobbers, drill a small hole in them and shove a small light stick made by beacon in there. They'll last all night and you wont have to spend so much on those battery powered ones

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: MrNovice] #11510594 03/30/16 01:20 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: MrNovice
Originally Posted By: crapicat
Glad you liked it...It works...take a big cooler for the fish...just in case you picked a good spot...

Keep in mind, Ghost Minnows tend to catch cats...let your buddy use them...you stick with the small Shad...crappie love them...

Normally, three poles is all you can keep up with when fishing. I tend to use only two...because, I don't like to lose many fish....

Also, throw your corks several feet outside the dark edge so they can float into the light with the current and back out again...if no bite, then pitch them back into the darkness upstream, so forth and so on...

Set your corks at different depths, until you find the correct depth...let the crappie tell you what that depth is correct.

If there are rocks where you are fishing, make sure you float a rig by them...love those rocky areas at night, almost as much as the snakes do...

I get a ton of tiny shad swimming in circles around the light, but have a hard time catching any fish around it. Instead of like 5ft out from light, they seem to hang out about 15ft out. It might be cause they can't get under it, being only 4-6 ft deep?

The crappie will be on the dark edge of the light (i.e., the darkness just outside the lighted area...throw into the darkness...

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: crapicat] #11510714 03/30/16 01:56 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Thank you, sir! It was successful, and can only get better!

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: MrNovice] #11511287 03/30/16 05:24 PM
Waco Crappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I got a trick for you. Use the foam round bobbers "My preference is the ones with a led weight on bottom". You can get those at Walmart for $1 a pack for 4. Then you buy these from ebay for $8.

[b](50) 1.5" MINI GLOW STICKS - GLOWING GREEN - FISHING LIGHT - GLO LITE PARTY

Search that in Ebay and you will find many colors. I like to buy the variety pack so me and my brother will know which pole is getting a hit. You could tie one to your line under the water if you want. I havent tried that yet but plan on it. Just take a drill and drill a hole in your bobber snug enough to hold the glow stick.

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: Waco Crappie] #11511323 03/30/16 05:38 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Waco28 Crappie
I got a trick for you. Use the foam round bobbers "My preference is the ones with a led weight on bottom". You can get those at Walmart for $1 a pack for 4. Then you buy these from ebay for $8.

[b](50) 1.5" MINI GLOW STICKS - GLOWING GREEN - FISHING LIGHT - GLO LITE PARTY

Search that in Ebay and you will find many colors. I like to buy the variety pack so me and my brother will know which pole is getting a hit. You could tie one to your line under the water if you want. I havent tried that yet but plan on it. Just take a drill and drill a hole in your bobber snug enough to hold the glow stick.

A guy above gave the same idea, but the glowstick would probably need to be on top to be better seen. I cast out about 30 ft sometimes and I don't know if you could see it under the water from that distance? You could put it on the bottom of the bobber if fishing straight down though. I'm definitely going to try it! I hate losing those $5 glow bobbers or buying replacement batteries for them.

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: MrNovice] #11511394 03/30/16 06:09 PM
Waco Crappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
If you want it for seeing the bobber put it on top of the bobber. The bobber will float around like a martini but you can see it from along ways away. If you want it for the fish attractant you could try on the line by the bait.

Re: Need night time crappie help, please! [Re: Waco Crappie] #11511553 03/30/16 07:14 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Waco28 Crappie
If you want it for seeing the bobber put it on top of the bobber. The bobber will float around like a martini but you can see it from along ways away. If you want it for the fish attractant you could try on the line by the bait.

I thought you might be trying to attract the fish with it as well, wasn't sure though. Another idea for something like that is Party City has various size glowsticks as well, for pretty cheap. Like two 4 inch ones for $1 and some other similar deals. Funny how you have to think outside the box to really catch these suckers!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide