Forums59
Topics1,039,172
Posts13,960,322
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11340769 01/12/16 02:19 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I am a pretty old school bass angler that sometimes wonders how neat it would be for a tournament trail that would put limits on certain things to get back to a time period when anglers caught a lot of their fish on instincts alone. A lot of us would pretty much consider a Carolina rig our first real depth finder and I still remember my first flasher unit.
But I also really have no issue's with todays technology. I have a buddy who often calls me to go with him when he is practicing for a tournament. He has some units that have passed me by on the ability to really be able to use them but he has become a master at reading them. We spend a lot of time during the day just searching with the units and I can tell you I have had a blast even though it is just fun fishing for me to watch him point out certain things on it and explain what they are. Also there is nothing like finding a piece of structure in an area where we have never seen anyone fishing and decide to fish it and catch good quality fish time after time in the area.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: jwallbassin] #11340883 01/12/16 02:56 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: jwallbassin
I stopped reading anything Randy Blaukat wrote after reading his article on climate change.

This.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11340896 01/12/16 03:00 PM
C
chas1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Nixon and Clunn never had all this extra bling, and look what they accomplished.

[Linked Image]
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11340907 01/12/16 03:05 PM
TexasTechliprip Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
So Alabama football should be capped on what they can pay their coaches, how much they can spend on training equipment and facilities?

Or maybe a golfer should only be allowed to pay his swing coach XXXX?

Perhaps all sports teams should have to travel on a bus, because some cant afford a plane.

this dudes rant is a joke...... Look at John Cox.

Anyone can find a $30,000 rig that will give them everything they need to compete on a professional level. Power poles, 3 graphs, a 36volt TM, good working motor, good trailer.

Not everyone can afford that, but if you cant afford that, then you probably have no business chasing the dream of gambling for a living tournament fishing.

I would love to go fishing for a living......but I dont have the luxury of quitting my Job to go chase a dream.

[Linked Image]
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341001 01/12/16 03:33 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Not all kids get to go to Football Camps all across the country because of money too, however, the less fortunate and hard working still get more D1 scholarships than those who attend these camps. Nothing in life is fair, its what you make of what you have..., hard work pays off in most things in life!

There are still fisherman who can beat you with a simple flasher!

Last edited by InTheClear; 01/12/16 03:38 PM.
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341009 01/12/16 03:35 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
looks like the govt. owes all the fishermen equal very nice rigs so we can all look cool an compete on the same level an while your dreaming might as well throw in free entrys for all.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341051 01/12/16 03:53 PM
921ELITE Cranker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You lost me at Randy Blaukat...

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: WillieKetchum] #11341059 01/12/16 03:55 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Boy, I'm fixing to get in trouble with this one...

I feel that a lot, if not the majority, of the guys with the big electronics, shiny boats and jacked up trucks are doing it because it's either:
1) It's the cool thing to do.
2) they possess an inferiority complex and this makes them feel bigger.

Don't get me wrong. There are fishermen that use their electronics to their full advantage. There are guys that use their $80k boat 40 wkends a year and can justify having a nice rig with two poles and warranty on their motor. If you don't think my two examples above are true, then quiz the next guy you see at the ramp with that new $80k Ranger with his new Gen3 big screens. Ask him something specific about his electronics. Ask him how to make his console unit to read the temperature off his trolling motor transducer. Ask him how what pitch prop he has on his motor. Ask him what's the difference in 83 and 200 kHz settings on his sonar. My point being, if you don't all the ins and outs of your equipment and able to use it to your advantage, then why spend so much money on having it? Is it for the one of the two reasons I listed above?

If this post offends you, then well, are you one of the guys above? I bet there are some guys that this doesn't offend at all. These are the guys that use their equipment to their full potential.

I'm not offended and you have good points that may apply to some.

money is relative. new truck, boat, and electronics are all bank loans and 50% of income to some and others it is what they make in a couple weeks. people that make the kind of money not to blink usually aren't trying to be cool or have inferiority complex.

also people with those funds are usually spread thinner between business and other hobbies. they love to bass fish and do it when they can, but it isn't their only hobby. they may not have the time on water or elsewhere to know every detail about the boat and electronics.

I have empathy, because my first big hobby of car racing was with a small checkbook and it was my main focus. I couldn't afford a big crew or the top techs, so I learned to rebuild the driveline and other systems myself. I had several Top 10's at National Runoffs against factory efforts and huge budgets. My 5 year old Toyota truck pulling a wood flatbed trailer was parked between 18-wheelers with huge awnings and 8 man crews.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341083 01/12/16 04:04 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I must say that I have not read "every" comment.
But on this topic it is easy to give your opinion.
Mine is:
if you want to "tournament fish" for $$$$$$. You will need to spend $$$$ correspondingly to the level of your tournament participation.
...... that is just the way it is. Technology, market & sponsorships by suppliers, business interest,,,,,,etc etc etc.
it is this way in any sport that you can participate in for $$$$$, trophies, or recognition/glory. Ask the guys in the remote controlled car "sport".

if you want to fish for fun,,,,,,, you just need a way to get your bait in the water.

it is really pretty simple,,,,,,,how detailed and involved do you want to be in fishing ?
You always have a choice.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341118 01/12/16 04:19 PM
M
mikey6345 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I still struggle with all the tournaments that go on anyway. Does every day of fishing have to be a competition? Would you still feel like you needed $7k worth of electronics if you were just going out to fish for fun? That is really an insane amount of money for a fishfinder. If ya got it then spend it I guess.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341148 01/12/16 04:41 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I'll offer a different perspective. The day that you pen something talking about technology and its advances harming anything is the day that's it's all passed you by. I'll leave it at that.

Secondly, we as TDs have a hard enough time getting anglers to show up. Putting ridiculous limitations/restrictions like this is place would end a trail or prevent one from starting. Someone start one with these kinds of rules and let me know how that works out for you.

Lastly, I thought we addressed this already in the multiple electronics thread that just went wheels off. If you have the ability to buy the $60k+ boat with all the toys then have at it. If all you have is a Tracker with a 90HP then that's cool too. Just be glad you're fishing. There's worse things to be doing with your time...

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Flippin-Out] #11341223 01/12/16 05:23 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
3) The angler has arrived at a belief that all the latest greatest bleeding edge newfangled gear will (magically) give him an advantage.

I agree 100% with this. GPS mapping, and some of the side imaging though will give an advantage, but overall, businesses have marketed all of their products for the bass fisherman very well.

Bass fishing is way more Indian than Arrow.

If you don't understand how conditions are affecting a bass, grasp how fish are relating to cover or structure, realize the retrieve you use is important, and most of all, be able to make an accurate cast, there are no magic gadgets that you can buy that will help you catch more fish. But Company XYZ has convinced people that this bait, this line, this rod, this reel, etc.... will make you catch more fish. It will, but not until a person understands, where, how and why they're using it.

I'd be willing to bet most Elites could go buy a pre rigged Zebco 202, 2 crankbaits, and some hooks weights and a bag of worms and outfish 75% of bass fisherman, just because they understand bass.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11341947 01/12/16 11:33 PM
T
toddfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
It's not in my budget to have all the biggest and newest electronics and gadgets, but I'm certainly not going to whine about those who do have them. When they kick my butt in the few tournaments I fish each year, it's not because they spend more money, it's because they spend more time on the water.

Re: Randy Blaukat Comments on Fairness and Dollars [Re: Neal G] #11342030 01/13/16 12:28 AM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Meh their tournament their rules. If there's such a void of people looking for low cost tournaments someone could start an "old school only" trail and it would be loaded.

I don't like the waypoint/info sharing and it's a big reason I hardly tournament fish anymore but I'm not gonna try and change the rules

I know prefishing with a load of waypoints from a local buddy made life a WHOLE lot easier.

Last edited by FMJshooter; 01/13/16 12:40 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide