Print Thread
Page 224 of 399 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 398 399
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065300 02/17/19 03:44 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
So I hooked up with a few guys today, J-Moe being one of them and we hit Newman's Bottom. At Newman's bottom gate around 2:30 and on the creek somewhere around 3:15 I guess. We got off to really slow trip, all three of us were zero until we reached a spot way upstream. J-Moe shot straight over to this place as Carlos and I took our time and worked our way upstream in hopes to find a few. When I caught up to J-Moe he had already caught 3. Carlos and I had yet to even get a tap. Now we are all three upstream fishing in a few holes where we have had luck in the past, J-Moe stayed where he was and Carlos and I kind bounced around still looking for a bite. Next thing I know, I have caught four fish. Then Carlos started catching a few and the bite seem to be picking up, we were all three now hooking into a few. Between the three of us in three hours of fishing we had over a limit of fish caught and we all three had a pretty good time. We shared some interesting fishing stories and we did what we set out to do and that was to catch a few even when they were not biting worth a darn. I'll be taking a few days off, starting to get burned out on cleaning fish. So far I have put away about 140 fillets in the freezer, so today was catch and release for me. It really felt great to drive home today with no fish to clean. LOL
I also enjoyed talking to the other anglers on the creek today, hope their day turned out ok as well. It was a slow day for most from what I saw, but not every trip can be a homerun day I guess. A lot of time left in this years spawn, so let the lines be tight and the drags sing as we all continue to catch some whites....

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065311 02/17/19 03:54 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Thanks for the video Sam. Very interesting view of the mouth of the Yegua.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: GC2656] #13065337 02/17/19 04:06 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by GC2656
It may just be me, but has anyone else noticed that the time stamp on the post are approximately 18 hours off? The post I made this morning shows to have been posted at 3:14 PM yesterday. Just curious! confused

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. It's annoying.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: fishytx] #13065342 02/17/19 04:12 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by fishytx
So I hooked up with a few guys today, J-Moe being one of them and we hit Newman's Bottom. At Newman's bottom gate around 2:30 and on the creek somewhere around 3:15 I guess. We got off to really slow trip, all three of us were zero until we reached a spot way upstream. J-Moe shot straight over to this place as Carlos and I took our time and worked our way upstream in hopes to find a few. When I caught up to J-Moe he had already caught 3. Carlos and I had yet to even get a tap. Now we are all three upstream fishing in a few holes where we have had luck in the past, J-Moe stayed where he was and Carlos and I kind bounced around still looking for a bite. Next thing I know, I have caught four fish. Then Carlos started catching a few and the bite seem to be picking up, we were all three now hooking into a few. Between the three of us in three hours of fishing we had over a limit of fish caught and we all three had a pretty good time. We shared some interesting fishing stories and we did what we set out to do and that was to catch a few even when they were not biting worth a darn. I'll be taking a few days off, starting to get burned out on cleaning fish. So far I have put away about 140 fillets in the freezer, so today was catch and release for me. It really felt great to drive home today with no fish to clean. LOL
I also enjoyed talking to the other anglers on the creek today, hope their day turned out ok as well. It was a slow day for most from what I saw, but not every trip can be a homerun day I guess. A lot of time left in this years spawn, so let the lines be tight and the drags sing as we all continue to catch some whites....

I had a great time Doug. It's always fun watching the master at work.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065360 02/17/19 04:49 AM
J
JonL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks Jmoe . I sent you a PM

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065524 02/17/19 02:36 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Lots of fishing and little catching at Irwin bridge yesterday. I caught three, the wife caught seven. There were lots of people fishing. I saw several kayaks going downstream. I only saw a couple of people with nice stringers. Everyone else only had two or three. Saw and enjoyed talking with J-Moe there. He said he had only caught three. He was leaving as we were getting there, so I had an idea we were not going to have much luck. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching.

Tight lines all!

Shut up and fish!
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065679 02/17/19 05:51 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I know they call it fishing and I hate that word myself. The catching part is why I go out there, the fishing part is to dang hard and not near as much fun. LOL The fishing part makes it interesting though, you have to figure out where they are and how they want your bait. As the water level continues to drop it will also change the way the water flows through an area, therefore the fish will change where they swim or lay on the bottom and every angler has to figure it out each time they go. There are just a few spots that do not change much as the water level drops, but 98% of the holes on this creek will. It may look the same to most people, but if you read these holes and where the fish like to feed or stack up then you can see how it changes from day to day. If you will take note, you may catch a bunch in a hole one day, return two days later and can't buy a bite out of that same hole. That's because the water flow has changed on how it travels through that hole and the fish will find a better place to hang out at. But it keeps everyone on their toes looking and trying.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13065708 02/17/19 06:26 PM
J
JonL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
These are the pictures of my fish yesterday. All males.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13066013 02/18/19 12:41 AM
M
mini-x fan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted by J-Moe
Originally Posted by mini-x fan
Hi guys I'm new to the freshwater game and live in BCS. I was able to catch them last fall on the main lake but the creeks are completely new to me. I have a shallow running <6" little flats boat. Could I make it into the mouth of these creeks? Or would it be better just to walk in? Thanks!

On a side note I need to get a new spinning setup for the creeks as my inshore rods probably won't work for the smaller baits. What would y'all recommend?

welcome

Yes, the lake is 4 feet above normal so there is no problem. As a matter of fact I saw two boats in the Yegua recently. One made it almost all the way to the trailway bridge. The other was at the low water crossing. I personally have been doing better above the trailway bridge though. I did hear of good reports of crappie being caught downstream of the bridge.

Thanks! Is the jon boat in the creek a red side console tracker? Or a 12'er with a 9.9 evinrude? If so, I know the guy who that happened to he has two boats...

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13066055 02/18/19 01:14 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Thanks for the pics. For some reason I have a hard time downloading pics on here.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: mini-x fan] #13066078 02/18/19 01:32 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
[/quote]
Thanks! Is the jon boat in the creek a red side console tracker? Or a 12'er with a 9.9 evinrude? If so, I know the guy who that happened to he has two boats...[/quote]

It is a camo painted aluminum boat, bigger than 12 feet. I think it is a 16' boat. It is upside down so I couldn't tell if it had a console.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13066142 02/18/19 02:45 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
The big swings in wind direction can have a great affect on creek flow and much more than opening the floodgates at the dam. I've been on Nails creek when a cold front blew in midday. There was virtually no flow to the creek around the trailway bridge in the morning but by 1 o'clock it was really moving.. a day or two later the winds shifted back from the south and the creek stopped moving again.

The lake backs up into the lower end of Nails and the Yegua (all creeks actually) so if the lake is rising fast enough it will reverse the flow of the creek as it pushes rising water further up the creeks. Whitebass head upstream to spawn but if the lake is rising and they are somewhere near the lower end the current of the creek changes. If the fish head into the current they end up back in the lake or just further down the creek to where the current stabilizes.

I know one thing for sure the whitebass will move all over the creek going up and down depending on so many variables it is difficult to predict other than the fish are there somewhere.. finding them is half the battle, catching them at the right time is the other half..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13066620 02/18/19 05:58 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by mimi-x fan
Thanks! Is the jon boat in the creek a red side console tracker? Or a 12'er with a 9.9 evinrude? If so, I know the guy who that happened to he has two boats...

Originally Posted by J-Moe
It is a camo painted aluminum boat, bigger than 12 feet. I think it is a 16' boat. It is upside down so I couldn't tell if it had a console.

J-Moe He might be referring to the boats you saw in the creek at Newman's bottom. You said you saw one at low water crossing and one at trail way bridge.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13066926 02/18/19 10:51 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Thanks for posting yall's reports.

Me and my son are planning a camping/fishing trip at Somerville this coming weekend. Weather forecast shows rain for the coming weekend, but I'm hoping it eases up as the week progresses. We had a camping trip cancelled due to truck problems so I'm trying to make it up to him.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: AdanV] #13067004 02/19/19 12:39 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by AdanV
Thanks for posting yall's reports.

Me and my son are planning a camping/fishing trip at Somerville this coming weekend. Weather forecast shows rain for the coming weekend, but I'm hoping it eases up as the week progresses. We had a camping trip cancelled due to truck problems so I'm trying to make it up to him.

AdanV I hope it all works out for you and your son this coming weekend. Only time will tell on the fishing part, but yet I'm sure some good memories will still be built.

Page 224 of 399 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 398 399
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide