Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,231
Posts13,961,278
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) #10655306 02/28/15 02:28 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I just bought my wife a Tarpon 100 and am considering a yak for myself as well. One of the issues confronting me is storage when not in use, since I live in a two story condo with no garage. One or both, if I get one are going to have to live upstairs. Is it OK to store on standing on end? If that works, it really solves a serious issue and will help to determine if I'll be able to get one for myself. I see some of the stores displaying them like that, but I don't know if that has any long term effect on the hull.
Another question is weight capacity. Is there a percentage of the manufacturers spec that should be used. I was told 2/3 by someone and if that is true, then the shortest yak that carries me would be the Ride 115 @ 11.5'. I'm 5'11/210. If the Tarpon 100 would work for me(I'm right at the 2/3 point), that solves a handling and weight problem, and I don't even kno if we can get a Ride 115 up the stairs. It sure is a nice boat, though.
I should probably also mention that these yaks will be used only for recreational paddling when we are camping in the State and COE parks and never for fishing, so the most I would have on mine is a soft cooler with a couple of drinks and snacks. I have a SeeArk CC to fish out of when I want to fish so the yak will never be a consideration for that.

I have talked to the the guys at Mariner Sails and also Mountain Sports and they have been great with answering my noobe questions, but I hate to keep calling with dumb questions because I don't want to appear like a hull-thumper who isn't interested in buying anything and just wants to chat, so maybe someone here can offer some insight. Thanks to all..

Last edited by Bob Landry; 02/28/15 02:30 PM.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10655375 02/28/15 03:01 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I think 2/3 is a good rule of thumb for a fishing yak. Since you won't be carrying much, 75% is prob reasonable under good conditions. With that said, there have been some articles where the author has outlined how various yak mfg's determine the rating of their yaks and I have to say it's pretty much all over the map as there is no standardized method of rating or testing. So I think using mfg ratings is a reasonable way to narrow down the field - for example, a #600 rated yak will undoubtedly be able to handle more weight than a #300 rated yak but not so sure a #300 rate yak is necessarily significantly different than a #350 rated yak. With that said, I think the best approach is narrow down your choices and then actually get one on the water so you can see how it handles and sits with your weight. My gut says a tarpon 10 is prob pushing it a bit for #200+ but a test of your wife's boat would help prove/disprove this. Most yak stores don't mind you "tire kicking" - if they do, they prob aren't a shop you want to buy from anyway.....don't be afraid to ask all the noob questions you need to - it will help decide how that shop is going to treat you if/when you do buy from them.

As far as storage, I think vertical is prob ok but maybe the retail guys can better respond - I know thats how they store most of their inventory. I would think anything you can do to take a bit of the weight off the boat from the stern/keel would be beneficial - strapping against the wall to help support some of the weight or even a strap from the bow to above to relieve some of the pressure? Whatever you do, keep an eye on it and look for deformation. Many of the apt guys end up renting storage esp if they have more than 1 boat but of course that adds expense to your budget.

Edit - even though you have a seaark for fishing, you WILL start fishing from your yak and greatly enjoy it. Trust me on this. smile

Last edited by FishAll50; 02/28/15 03:09 PM.
Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10655396 02/28/15 03:13 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I live in a 1st floor apartment and have to lug my FS12T over the patio railing. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a 4''x4'' beam right in the center that makes me have to thread it through without letting it fall and shatter my window.

Anyways, I would possibly look into getting a 24 hour storage unit that's close by. You could keep all of your fishing gear there which will keep it out of the house too. And you could put the kayaks on a proper rack.

Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10655404 02/28/15 03:16 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
There is no industry standard for calculating weight capacity, so the 2/3 rule is a good one to use. Wind and wave conditions could also factor in, you could probably go 3/4 capacity on a smooth calm day. You also need to factor in the weight of a seat and coolers, but you're probably pushing the limit on the Tarpon 100. The manufacture should be able to tell you the safest way to store the yak.

Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10655596 02/28/15 04:11 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
A storage room is not an option at this time. We had one and was using it for nothing but storing junk that was never used and we figured the $75 a month could be put to better use. Now, we're using a spare upstairs bedroom for storage after culling out all of the unnecessary junk, so it's going to come down to whether we can get them up the stairs. I think because of space constraints, upright storage is going to be the only option, at least until I get a couple of things paid off and can reconsider a small storage room somewhere.

I agree with probably being at the limit with the Tarpon 100. It would probably work under ideal conditions and no extra stuff, but there is no guarantee of that, as we all know.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10655601 02/28/15 04:13 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I wouldn't have a problem standing the kayak on end on a balcony or indoors. If storing outdoors make sure to cover the kayaks with a tarp. Sun is bad for kayaks.

Before purchasing another kayak I would take your wife's kayak out for a spin. Like Tallgrass mentioned, the 2/3rds rule is a good rule of thumb since there is no industry standard. I think as long as you're looking for a kayak for just recreational purposes you would be OK in a Tarpon 100.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10661356 03/02/15 06:05 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
HaHa Bob!
Hull thumpers welcome here!

Re: Couple of General Yak Questions(Non-fishing Related) [Re: Bob Landry] #10662124 03/02/15 10:37 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

"hull thumper" laugh

Forget the yaks. Now is a perfect time to sell her kayak & get yourselves 2 paddle boards!!! popcorn2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide