Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts #10636167 02/22/15 02:20 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I have been using living rubber for my skirts for many years and thought I would share the process. I am using one of the best spinner bait skirts ever made, in Cold Slaw, for the example. You start with the rolls of skirt material cutting the tabs in 5 inch lengths.

Cold Slaw - Three tabs of 20 strands each. Total 60.

Minnow Bath - I leave the skirt tabs in the minnow bath 24 hours. Then I towel them off and seal them in baggies for future skirt building. I try to keep a whole roll of each color cut into tabs and sealed in baggies. I like my jig skirts done in the Night Crawler bath because they are slower moving baits.

Banded Tabs - The three tabs are then banded. This allows me to put them on a bait before hand tying.

Separating the strands - I like to use the end of my splint ring tool to do this process. Using the point of the tool and starting at the black band then pulling the tool down the skirt material over and over until each band is separated. Then I check each band to make sure none have been missed. Then move to the other end and start over.

Hand Tie - Using a .020 copper wire I make two wraps with one end pulling as hard as possible, then two wraps with the other end crossing them over. Then I start the twist of both wires together. I cut off the access leaving a 1/8 inch tag and press it down into the wraps. Using the sharp point of the split ring pliers I remove the band which can be used again.

On The Spinner Bait - With a Stanley Pro Trailer.

Hope this helps you guys that are wanting to build your skirts. I have chosen living rubber because it will hold scent. I want my baits to play upon all of the Bass's scenes especially the big Bass.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636385 02/22/15 03:46 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
very nice, thanks for the tip, how long will the scent last on plastic worms and the living rubber skirts

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636494 02/22/15 04:32 AM
B
Buffalo hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks for the info Donald. I need to get some minnow scent!

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636498 02/22/15 04:37 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I keep all worms and living rubber skirted baits in the zip page binders. I will go to the worms once every 6 months and give them a squirt. The rubber baits hold scent forever. I usually spray my spinner bait twice a day if throwing it all day. Once when I tie it on and again at noon. I want it to leave a trail.

Once the scent is in the rubber it is good for a long time. So as I accumulate more and more I will put baby powder on them when I store them away in the zip binder. When I get ready to use one, just rinse it off and give it a spray and it is ready to go.

You cannot do that with Silicone skirts. They want hold any scent for any length of time. Although you can keep putting it on every hour or so. Pure Extract scents will stay on longer than most scents.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636565 02/22/15 05:51 AM
B
boeing driver Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I don't have the patience to make these living rubber skirts but I'm glad Don does...these have the best pulsating action bar none and when coupled with the liquid scent they will catch big bass, especially when slow rolled along deep sloping points. Just my two cents worth.

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636710 02/22/15 01:21 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Don do you wear a hazmat suit when doing this? If any of yall haven't tried his scent it is POTENT.

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636722 02/22/15 01:34 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
They don't make the Stanley Pro Trailers are more that i could find.

Where do you get them?

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636767 02/22/15 02:07 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Thanks guys. I hope this sheds some light on how important it is to do everything you can to mask the human order along with giving the fish what they are looking for. I know the spinner bait and the jig can carry all of the attracting features that big Bass are looking for and if you are successful in catching more of them then you have to have the patience to put these things together on a bait.

We will see how this works out. I am taking one of the best jig fisherman from New Mexico with us to Mexico on March 6th.. He is like many other fisherman when it comes to his jigs. He will only use what he has confidence in and will catch lots of fish down there. He will be paired with one of my guys that will be throwing a jig that holds all of these features and then some.

Chuck loves the earth tone skirts but uses silicone. Most are Green Pumpkin with a few red strands mixed in the skirts. His jig has small red eyes. He doesn't use any scent; but occasionally uses a craw scented trailer, which is excellent. Mike will be fishing with him and will be using the Baby Doll Jig fully equipped with; 1/2 inch holographic dome eyes with a BB under each dome. Chuck likes red so Mike will be using red hologram eyes. My jig will have the earth tone skirts of 80 strands, in scented living rubber and the trailer will be Capt. Grumpy's scented Night Crawler Craw. We will see how this plays out and who catches the most bass over 5 lbs.. We keep very accurate logs, take pictures and use scales so you will know the whole story when we return.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636868 02/22/15 02:54 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Thanks guys. I hope this sheds some light on how important it is to do everything you can to mask the human order along with giving the fish what they are looking for. I know the spinner bait and the jig can carry all of the attracting features that big Bass are looking for and if you are successful in catching more of them then you have to have the patience to put these things together on a bait.

We will see how this works out. I am taking one of the best jig fisherman from New Mexico with us to Mexico on March 6th.. He is like many other fisherman when it comes to his jigs. He will only use what he has confidence in and will catch lots of fish down there. He will be paired with one of my guys that will be throwing a jig that holds all of these features and then some.

Chuck loves the earth tone skirts but uses silicone. Most are Green Pumpkin with a few red strands mixed in the skirts. His jig has small red eyes. He doesn't use any scent; but occasionally uses a craw scented trailer, which is excellent. Mike will be fishing with him and will be using the Baby Doll Jig fully equipped with; 1/2 inch holographic dome eyes with a BB under each dome. Chuck likes red so Mike will be using red hologram eyes. My jig will have the earth tone skirts of 80 strands, in scented living rubber and the trailer will be Capt. Grumpy's scented Night Crawler Craw. We will see how this plays out and who catches the most bass over 5 lbs.. We keep very accurate logs, take pictures and use scales so you will know the whole story when we return.

Man. I want to go! I'll be the "control" sample for yalls experiment. I'll use only Walmart available jigs and skirts. Pretty much SK and Booyah. Haha.

Man that sounds like a lot of fun.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 02/22/15 02:56 PM.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636913 02/22/15 03:07 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I am looking for a video guy to tag along for 10 days.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636914 02/22/15 03:08 PM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636955 02/22/15 03:23 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

Damn. I'm too ugly. I break cameras.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Process In Making Scented Living Rubber Skirts [Re: Donald Harper] #10636993 02/22/15 03:42 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
How's your Steve Irwin impression maybe you can narrate.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide