Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Go Pro help #10630416 02/19/15 04:36 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My wife purchased me my first go pro recently for my birthday. It is a Hero 3+. I purchased a memory card that I believe was 64mb.

So when I turn on the camera, it says I have like 10,000 photos available, and 4 hours of video. First question, is that about right/normal? I noticed when I change the video settings to the one right under the max, it goes from 4 hours to 6 hours.

It also came with a wifi remote.

So here are my questions, and they are probably basic to those who have cameras, but I am new to this.

1. Is the only way to charge the camera and/or remote, by plugging it into the computer? Or can you plug it into the wall as you do cell phones? I ask because the charging cords that I have, only have a usb end, not the adaptor to plug into the wall.

2. I have taken it out fishing twice now. Both times, whether I take photos, or use the video, the battery in the remote goes empty around 3 hours in, so I can't use it any longer. Is that normal?

3. So far, I have only use the head strap, and the chest strap. But when the battery goes out in the remote, I have to try and press the record button while catching a fish on the camera itself. So do most of you just let the video run the entire time, then just edit it later or something?

4. I purchased a huge kit online that has like 50 different things for the camera. The orange rubber sponge that makes the camera float, is it wise to go ahead and stick it on the back of the water proof casing and just have it on there all the time? Or is there a trick to using it off and on?

5. What is the case for that has 2 long holes/slots in the back for?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10630512 02/19/15 05:08 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
64 GB card?

I don't like GoPro, I use the Contour for all my videos, but I get about 7 hours on my 32 GB card in HD.

I believe in keeping everything simple, which is harder to do with Go Pro. I have a head strap for POV, I can turn on and record single button with my hand, batteries last 3 hours so I carry extras, and after every fish that might make video I turn off and on so I can edit a days fishing in about 15 minutes finding all clips at end of files.

the GoPro users can help with your specific questions.

Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10630726 02/19/15 06:17 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: angler15
My wife purchased me my first go pro recently for my birthday. It is a Hero 3+. I purchased a memory card that I believe was 64mb.

So when I turn on the camera, it says I have like 10,000 photos available, and 4 hours of video. First question, is that about right/normal? I noticed when I change the video settings to the one right under the max, it goes from 4 hours to 6 hours.

So here are my questions, and they are probably basic to those who have cameras, but I am new to this.

1. Is the only way to charge the camera and/or remote, by plugging it into the computer? Or can you plug it into the wall as you do cell phones? I ask because the charging cords that I have, only have a usb end, not the adaptor to plug into the wall.

2. I have taken it out fishing twice now. Both times, whether I take photos, or use the video, the battery in the remote goes empty around 3 hours in, so I can't use it any longer. Is that normal?

3. So far, I have only use the head strap, and the chest strap. But when the battery goes out in the remote, I have to try and press the record button while catching a fish on the camera itself. So do most of you just let the video run the entire time, then just edit it later or something?

4. I purchased a huge kit online that has like 50 different things for the camera. The orange rubber sponge that makes the camera float, is it wise to go ahead and stick it on the back of the water proof casing and just have it on there all the time? Or is there a trick to using it off and on?

1) I charge mine in an outlet like a phone. I don't think it makes a difference.

2) I don'y have the remote on my older go pro, sorry no help there.

3) I let it run till I catch a fish, then after catching it, I strop recording. This helps for editing purposes. You will know you have a catch at the end of each video.

4) I have the orange float and am glad I have it. I was fishing on Rayburn and had the camera suction cupped on the cowling of the motor. Suction cup lost its suction and it fell off into the water. I was able to pick it up. I would advise leaving it on the WP case. No sense in risking losing an expensive piece of equipment.

5) The door with the slots in it is to pick up better sound quality when using the camera in places where it wont get wet.

Last edited by Reid O'Conner; 02/19/15 06:29 PM.

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10630746 02/19/15 06:25 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Agree with everything above. I let mine run continuously. Battery life is horrible, so I bring extra's every time I go out. Another option is to get an adapter that lets you plug into a 12 volt outlet on your boat. That is a great option if you don't want to deal with swapping out batteries.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10630754 02/19/15 06:28 PM
R
REAL ESTATE MAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I got a go pro 3 for valentines from the wife. I am also learning how to use it as well. I took it out for the first time last weekend and thought it was recording but apparently it wasn't. Lol. I was fishing a tourney so I did not spend much time checking it. But I am looking forward to a non tourney day to play with it a bit. I would like to drop it down in the water and video some areas. Do y'all have any experience with this?

Re: Go Pro help [Re: RO519] #10630991 02/19/15 08:00 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

1) I charge mine in an outlet like a phone. I don't think it makes a difference.

2) I don'y have the remote on my older go pro, sorry no help there.

3) I let it run till I catch a fish, then after catching it, I strop recording. This helps for editing purposes. You will know you have a catch at the end of each video.

4) I have the orange float and am glad I have it. I was fishing on Rayburn and had the camera suction cupped on the cowling of the motor. Suction cup lost its suction and it fell off into the water. I was able to pick it up. I would advise leaving it on the WP case. No sense in risking losing an expensive piece of equipment.

5) The door with the slots in it is to pick up better sound quality when using the camera in places where it wont get wet.

Thank you for your responses. I meant 64GB by the way. So safe to say it isn't just me, the battery life on these really aren't that great, and the wifi remote doesn't last long no matter what.

Never thought of purchasing more batteries. But that seems like the most logical thing to do. Going this weekend to purchasing that as well as AC adaptor.

6. Last question, when you put the float on, does it still connect to all of the mounts just fine?

Re: Go Pro help [Re: Jpurdue] #10630993 02/19/15 08:00 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
How do you guys quote other replies? As in, use their reply above your response?

I see the quote marks on the screen on the reply page, but it doesn't do anything besides put the actual word "quote" in the reply box?

Last edited by angler15; 02/19/15 08:02 PM.
Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10631015 02/19/15 08:09 PM
K.D. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Rather than getting another battery, consider one of these.

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/iogear-ult...ping-11000-mah/

and do a search on YouTube on how to convert the case to waterproof and allowing the access to the charging port. The iogear will easily run a gopro all day. It would actually run 2 if you had the cables to each.

Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10631037 02/19/15 08:19 PM
H
hopefullythisworks Offline
Angler
Angler
H
i use the gopro app on my phone that allows me to control all functions and it has a preview screen as well.

as far as continous use i have it pulled into a 12v cigarette ligher and i purchased a 20 foot mini usb cord and can always have it juiced.

i also use the little yellow float for recording underwater shots alone and a telescoping handle for putting it close to a bed or areal video.

Re: Go Pro help [Re: JC Skeeter] #10631110 02/19/15 08:46 PM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
How do you guys quote other replies? As in, use their reply above your response?

I see the quote marks on the screen on the reply page, but it doesn't do anything besides put the actual word "quote" in the reply box?
Hit quick quote and start typing at the end of it after this [/quote]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide