Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) #10626164 02/17/15 10:22 PM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I have to admit, I only got into 'the Thump' during last season's spawn, and only have used the Blakemore Roadrunner jigs (Mirabou and Crappie Thunder type jigs). I did pretty well about 18 - 20" below a float, and also without a float, jigging.

I have not used Hand Ties before, but after seeing all of the pics. of the various types made by folks on this forum, I am definitely interested in hearing folks' opinions on what I can/should be doing during this upcoming spawn to improve on my results from last year.

Do Hand Ties make a big difference? I've seen some hand-tied feather jigs on this site that even made 'me' want to bite them, so they sure look like they'd be a good option. I probably need to get away from this horsehead jig crutch, but I also dont want to invest in a lot of jigs, many of which may not work out for me this Spring.

I generally fish in 6-20 FOW. If there's anybody here able to help point me in the right direction on hand-ties, and their effectiveness (colors, jig maker, jig size, etc.), I'd definitely appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm back to buying more Blakemores, since I know they work fairly effectively.

Thanks in advance. Any advice/help is appreciated to bring my game up this coming spawn.

Scott in Flower Mound

Last edited by Scott in Flower Mound; 02/17/15 10:27 PM.
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626203 02/17/15 10:37 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
If it aint broken why fix it hmmm .Most crappie anglers find something that they are comfortable & confident with and stick with that.I have used Blakemore RR also and they do work great ! but instead of changing lures maybe you should alter your technique with it unless you just want to experiment.

Last edited by Fishbonz; 02/17/15 10:41 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626205 02/17/15 10:38 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Nothin wrong with a roadrunner, they are put together purdy good and the fish will eatem... But most any thing else wont be the quality of a hand tied jig. During the spawn just about anything will get eatin, but most wont last long before they come apart... IMO

Life is Good..<><

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626211 02/17/15 10:42 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
A serious crappie fishman need to carry both: plastic and hand ties. Plastics bought at stores are for general public. Hand ties are more customer oriented, suit for a specific need at a specific location.

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626213 02/17/15 10:43 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Matthew at Jigum Jigs can fix you up with anything you need in quality, hand-tied jigs.

Gman

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626234 02/17/15 10:56 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
hand tie if you have very specific wants ...
off the shelf if you are not specific in your wants .....
I have had some fabulous excursions using hand tied color combinations that you cant buy off the shelf
and some of them 3 d eyes set up feather jigs boost confidence as well thumb

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626369 02/18/15 12:06 AM
L
larry mays Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
If you keep it in the water they bite anything, but to me a hand tied jig without a cork is the most fun way. If you hold your rod where you have at least one finger on rod it self, not handle but the rod part you can feel a lot more.

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626403 02/18/15 12:27 AM
P
plateboater Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I agree with plastic and hand ties in the boat......last year when the boats were two foot away from me as I was smoking them trying to find out what my hand tie was.........I go with hand ties. I have a big plate boat and scratches build character!

Everyone needs a hobby!
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Jig Man] #10626523 02/18/15 01:18 AM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jig Man
Nothin wrong with a roadrunner, they are put together purdy good and the fish will eatem... But most any thing else wont be the quality of a hand tied jig. During the spawn just about anything will get eatin, but most wont last long before they come apart... IMO

Find what works for you, then have some made like it. I caught the fire off a cheap red head, Chart body, white tail hair jig from Wal-Mart on Cypress Springs, but like Jig Man pointed out, they'd fall apart after a couple of fish. I now have several different sizes and nice variations of the same pattern from guys here off the forum, that you can't tear up. They catch every species in the lake
Jigum now carries 1 called the Cypress Slab Slayer, that he built for me. And Sandwichmaker make some awesome jigs for me with the same pattern. In fact, they look so good, I'm scared to loose one - LOL.

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626587 02/18/15 01:49 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Hand tied jigs from the tyers on this forum are the best I've ever used. I've caught 50+ fish on several and still have the jig and will use it again. Some of the marabou and feather jigs off the shelf do not last. I've seen those tear up after 2 fish. Ordering from the guys on this forum allows you to customize everything, size of hook, weight of jig, materials and profile and fullness of the jig overall. You can get more body and tail material and slow down the fall of the jig which definitely helps on some days.

Road Runners are good quality baits compared to other off the shelf jigs. And they can be deadly. If you're unsure and don't want to spend money on colors that may not be good, send a PM to these guys and they can tell you what works on what lakes. They hear from a lot of fishermen and they also fish. And their work is exceptional. I tie some for myself, but I also order from the guys on here because they do outstanding work and the price is right.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626809 02/18/15 03:07 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I prefer hand tied jig just because they last, you don't have to make sure your plastic didn't slide out of place, and because I tie them myself. I have used plastics from Thermocline and Constant pursuit outfitters with great success. I drop of superglue will usually keep the plastic in place, but the hand tied jigs will catch fish until you lose the jig.

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626837 02/18/15 03:18 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thanks guys, this is great information. Now comes the big question for all you hand tyers out there (and a PM recommendation is good by me) but if your life depended on you catching slabs this Spring, which 'make and model' of your jigs would you recommend I try this season? I'd like to try a variety of different makers jigs, and then fish them along with my Blakemores like the TFF'rs are recommending. Hopefully this should set me on the right path with my tackle box contents.

Thanks!

Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626870 02/18/15 03:27 AM
B
Billy Wilson (1WildCat) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Agree, find something that your comfortable with and go with it. I tie my own jigs for years, and still will continue to do so, BUT since I've discovered Bobby Garland jigs, I've used those religiously ever since.

St Croix Rods - Fish The Legend
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10626960 02/18/15 04:06 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
My earlier post was comparing off the shelf jigs (marabou ect) with hand tied jigs. If you're comparing plastics in there also, I really don't think there is an answer to which is better. They each have their time and place. I've used both with equal success. I will always have some of both in the boat.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Hand Ties vs. Off The Shelf (which is better?) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10627223 02/18/15 01:09 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thanks Ken.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide