Print Thread
LBJ Crappie #10621435 02/16/15 04:22 AM
T
T-Slab Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Newbie on here and looking for any tips or info for LBJ to find some crappie. Is it a good crappie lake or whites maybe? Do you recommend minnows, Jigs or jig tipped w minnows, or?? Have never been on this lake so any help will be appreciated. Hopefully going next weekend and will be staying and launching from the Sunrise Beach area. Open for any info you will share as I will have the kids with me and hoping to keep them entertained. Have boat with electronics if that helps any. Thanks in advance.

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10622562 02/16/15 06:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
what kind of electronics do you have and can you identify bait fish and crappie when you see them?

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10622978 02/16/15 08:53 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
For advice on LBJ I'd send a PM to this guy koobycrappie
He guides on LBJ and other central TX lakes and is the best expert I know for those lakes. Probably be well worth the time to get in the boat with him for a half day trip and see how it's done on LBJ. thumb

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: leanin post] #10623422 02/16/15 11:48 PM
T
T-Slab Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: leanin post
what kind of electronics do you have and can you identify bait fish and crappie when you see them?

There Humminbird units. Not real sure on being able to identify the two. I mainly use them for depths and finding drops or such, not so much for details as I'm not familiar with the settings.

Other than trying the bridge pilings or finding some deep docks. I don't know. Just wanted to see if I could get some general info to start with and hopefully keep the kids entertained.

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #10623434 02/16/15 11:53 PM
T
T-Slab Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
He guides on LBJ and other central TX lakes and is the best expert I know for those lakes. Probably be well worth the time to get in the boat with him for a half day trip and see how it's done on LBJ. thumb

Thanks Ken, I will look him up.

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10623569 02/17/15 12:37 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: T-Slab
Originally Posted By: leanin post

There Humminbird units. Not real sure on being able to identify the two. I mainly use them for depths and finding drops or such, not so much for details as I'm not familiar with the settings.

Other than trying the bridge pilings or finding some deep docks. I don't know. Just wanted to see if I could get some general info to start with and hopefully keep the kids entertained.

find the river channel , ride the deepest part and when you find fish arches and baitfish, stop , deadstick some minnows or natural colored jigs, like salt and pepper, shad immitations, ect. Also check for schools of fish near points with deep drop offs that have a channel going into a cove. The crappie are in a staging transition right now. Timing is critical this time of year. Finding crappie bunched up is not too difficult, finding when they have thier often times short feed window is the challenge. I would try to concentrate on areas 18 feet deep and deeper, as deep as 32 feet. dont be surprized if you catch some catfish. Lots of cool stuff to see on LBJ, so do some cruising and enjoy the scenery.
If you plan to fish LBJ more often, considering a guide trip would save you alot of time and money.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10623623 02/17/15 12:53 AM
T
T-Slab Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Thanks leanin! That's a start and will try this.

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #10625027 02/17/15 03:33 PM
R
Ruffneck2000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
+1
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
thumb

'A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including ones life.' (Author unknown)

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10627995 02/18/15 05:33 PM
N
Naggler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
They are almost always deeper than expected on LBJ...start deep and work shallower if not being bit. Underestimated lake for fishing in my opinion!

"Ahhh, yes yes...who has time? Then again, if we never take time, then how can we ever have time?"
Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: Naggler] #10628058 02/18/15 06:04 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Naggler
They are almost always deeper than expected on LBJ...start deep and work shallower if not being bit. Underestimated lake for fishing in my opinion!

what is your favorite area?

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10628074 02/18/15 06:11 PM
N
Naggler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
I used to live in Sunrise Beach so I gotta admit I am partial to it. Less traffic than the rivers too. Although this time of year especially, the rivers are probably loaded w more fish. The fact that I am in a kayak these days always sways me to put in at Sunrise and dodge the boats!

"Ahhh, yes yes...who has time? Then again, if we never take time, then how can we ever have time?"
Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10628569 02/18/15 09:15 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
are there many brushpiles around sunrise beach?

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: T-Slab] #10628611 02/18/15 09:38 PM
N
Naggler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Not really unfortunately...but there is a bit of grassy shoreline for when they go shallow. The canals can hold em when it heats up. Need to get a buddy with a boat though for the next couple weeks when they are still deeper. I've got a few bp located put there...one I made myself, the others ae marked and get a little pressure on em, but at least I dont get waked by boats constantly!

Re: LBJ Crappie [Re: Naggler] #10628849 02/18/15 11:32 PM
T
T-Slab Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Naggler

What do you consider deep for this time of year? What depth range would you recommend?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide