Print Thread
Old Devil's River thread #10604498 02/09/15 07:12 AM
B
Bau5hunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I found a thread under the Kayak Fishing thread dated March 2014 about what you need to do in order to legally float the Devil's River. I can not find it anywhere, on page 20 the dates go back to December of 2014 and no earlier, maybe I am searching wrong.

I have read a lot of conflicting information about permit prices, and whether you can do this or not with a shuttle service (will be paying enough in fuel traveling to Baker's Crossing).

Has anyone been there within the last couple of weeks or months that can verify what this process actually is?

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10604639 02/09/15 01:19 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I would read up on TPWD's website regarding permitting and things you need to do for a trip down the Devils. If you're still unclear I would contact TPWD directly to avoid confusion.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10604717 02/09/15 01:58 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Neumie's word are good. There seems to be everychanging amendments to laws and the only way to know for sure is to consult those in charge. Even TPWD personnel may have different interpretations so always best to get the word straight from the person most in charge and then document with a email to them stating "here is what you said - if anything is incorrect, pls let me know". I've done this a few times on situations where even those who should be in the know had conflicting opinions or interpretations. Have fun....that's still on my bucket list but my time is getting short. smile

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10605771 02/09/15 08:48 PM
B
Bau5hunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I will just call them and see if I can speak to the head honcho lol.

I will post here what is explained to me.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10606584 02/10/15 02:31 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Putting in isn't the problem. Its coming out. That's what the outfitter is really for unless you know a landowner or go all the way to amistad.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10607211 02/10/15 02:13 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Permits are $10 a day per person. It's the guide that's expensive but mandatory unless, as stated, you paddle to amistad. There's basic stuff you are required to take that can be found on the tpwd site. You can also find maps and other useful info there. If you are going for the first time get as much info from the guide as possible. Do research online so you know what to expect and take more food,than you will need.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10607799 02/10/15 05:42 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Watch where you camp. No alcohol at the SNA (State Natural Area). 100% pack-in, pack-out. Definitely read all of the updated laws, including fire ban status out there. To clarify what Marcus (ebk06) said, you don't have to hire a guide, but you do need an outfitter. A guide that actually does the trip with you can be a great way to ensure you have a fun/safe trip, though. Shane Davies with River Run Guide Service is a great choice for that route. We used Amistad Expeditions as our outfitter. Really nice guy named Darren will take care of you, tell him you know Robert Field and Marcus Villanueva if you check them out.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: RogerB] #10608046 02/10/15 07:18 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
....that's still on my bucket list but my time is getting short. smile

Yeah, Roger, mine too. I have a couple of friends that want to make the trip, but I'm not sure they could handle it. I'm too old to carry someone else down the river. I would probably hire Shane to make the trip with us. Way too remote to risk with a group of newbs.

Artie
Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10609353 02/11/15 03:47 AM
Y
YakinJunkie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I just made reservations and paid permits last week. Here is what I learned about the process. Hope it helps somebody else.
These are the steps I will use in the future.
1. Call Texas Parks and Wildlife to see the days are available that fit your schedule.
2. Call outfitter to make reservations and pay deposit.
3. Call Texas Parks and Wildlife IMMEDIATELY after talking to outfitter to pay for permits.

My frustration was all due to my ignorance not knowing how the system works. I am just trying to save someone else some time.
I first called the outfitter and scheduled the date in April (3 months in advance were good right???) to be put in the river. Payed them the deposit. Then called Texas Parks and Wildlife to get permit and waited on hold for about 20 minutes... got busy and couldn't wait any longer and so I hung up thinking no big deal I will call them that afternoon. Got busier at work and had to call the next day. I called the next day as soon as they opened...waited on hold for 30 minutes and turns out the 12 permits for that I had already paid outfitter for were already issued. So then I asked what days were available and tried to pay for the permits right then, but this is where I was told they cant issue permits until you tell them you already paid an outfitter. So then called the outfitter back to see if they could do it another day in April since they already had my deposit. They changed the date no problem. I then had to call the TPWD to get permits and after about 2 or 3 total hours on the phone and playing phone tag with outfitter.... boom were all set. 4 days 3 nights on the river in the middle of April. Cant wait!

Turns out everybody was able to reschedule vacations all 6 are going. I am sure it will be worth the hassle.

Cody Stewart
www.yakinjunkie.com
Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10609750 02/11/15 01:35 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
You will love it. The process is a bit tedious. When I scheduled ours I booked out guide a year put and tpwd had permits on hold do to low water conditions. It took another 6 months of waiting until tpwd decided to release permits. Then you don't receive them until weeks before you departure date. Talk about getting nervous.
a few things to consider for the trip. At least two water purification systems in case one breaks. A clear dry bag to pump water into each day. I think between 4 of us we used a couple gallons a day. The middle section of the river is awesome but don't underestimate how far past it you have to go to get good camping ground. That section of river where the houses are really kicked our asses because we thought we were farther than we were and we're running out of daylight.
Take more food than you think you will need. Use small clear type grubs, shakey heads, and crawl for lures. Maybe small flukes too. Take at least one long tow rope and one short one per kayak, you will need them. Strap everything down, it's the law but it will also save your stuff when you hit an unexpected rapid.
good luck and post up some pics!

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10609756 02/11/15 01:36 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Sorry for all the typos. Using my phone haha.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: ebk06] #10612542 02/12/15 04:36 AM
B
Bau5hunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I don't understand how Texas Parks and Wildlife would not sell permits unless people shelled out $$$ for outfitters. Kind of defeats the purpose of an adventure IMO.

Last edited by Bau5hunter; 02/12/15 05:01 AM.
Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10612636 02/12/15 05:24 AM
B
Bau5hunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
"If you are taking a trip not supported by a shuttle service, deposit a copy of this completed permit and
itinerary in the receptacle at the Bakers Crossing or San Pedro Point put in locations"

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/devils-river/drsnaap-overview_final.pdf

well thankfully that settles that. My previous comment is negligible.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bau5hunter] #10613871 02/12/15 06:23 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Yea, the main reason they hold permits if you are going to get a guide is to make sure 1. its scheduled and confirmed. 2. if something happens and they find you they can notify the guide. They also like to know your schedule so TPWD knows who is on the river is something illegal is done or if some nasty weather event occurs.

Re: Old Devil's River thread [Re: Bass Art] #10616677 02/13/15 07:05 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
....that's still on my bucket list but my time is getting short. smile

Yeah, Roger, mine too. I have a couple of friends that want to make the trip, but I'm not sure they could handle it. I'm too old to carry someone else down the river. I would probably hire Shane to make the trip with us. Way too remote to risk with a group of newbs.

We should do an "older guys" float with the agreement that if you can't make it, our only responsibility is to get your coordinates and inform friends and family where we left you......but we get to take what pieces of your fishing gear we would like. Now, there's an adventure. smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide