Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Basscat question #10606160 02/09/15 11:49 PM
kiamichisooner Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Guys, I'm in the new boat market and going up to a 20 footer (currently in an 18 foot Ranger). I posted the question to Triton owners earlier about their experiences with Triton boats. I've decided not go with that specific boat. The deal came up quick ad I really didn't want to do anything on impulse.

What are your experiences with Basscat; primarily the Puma FTD and Cougar FTD? What is the primary differences with the individual models? I appreciated the input from the Triton guys.

Thanks for the input in advance. I think i've narrowed it down to Basscat and the Legend V20. I am going to look at Phoenix also.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606281 02/10/15 12:49 AM
A
andy52887 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
I have owned a basscat sabre and phoenix 618. Fished several times from puma and cougar. You will get alot of answers but best thing to do is find a test ride and make your own decision. I have no doubt I would pick the phoenix over the basscat. That is not saying anything bad about bass cat to me phoenix was just setup so much better with bigger storage now this was comparing 18 footers. I believe the cougar and puma are only different on how the decks are laid out. But like I said find one to ride in before spending that kind of money.

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606301 02/10/15 12:55 AM
ETXsabre Offline
Angler
Angler
I own a smaller BassCat so I can't speak to the models that you are asking about. As far as the company and the boat quality, you won't find one better. The fit and finish are unmatched. BassCat customer service is awesome and they truly care about owner satisfaction. Go over one with a fine tooth comb and you'll see what I mean.

"There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that hadn't been throwed"
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606326 02/10/15 01:04 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Front decks on the Bass Cat are extremely narrow. Lay 4 rods on each side and you can not move. You are stuck in a little bitty spot right in the middle of the deck. The trolling motor foot pedal being up on the nose of the boat makes no sense at all. And I know the fan boys won;t agree with me, but the hulls are not very strong. And yes I have spent lots of time in a Bass Cat, but never another one. Bass Cat hull and stumps do not agree with each other. Take a measuring tape and measure the width of the front deck of a Bass Cat against any of the other major brands.

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606352 02/10/15 01:15 AM
P
Pumadon Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If you are really interested then call Tommy at Rockwall marine and he will take you thru the differences. I own a Puma Classic with etec 250 ho. Plenty fast, durable and fishes great. It is a little narrow up front but for pitching and flipping it is great. Phone # 972-771-4442

FISHING NOW NOT WORKING ANYMORE
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606374 02/10/15 01:24 AM
B
brennansgrandpa Offline
Angler
Angler
B
You owe it to yourself to go and see the boats in person. If you have the time, go visit the factory and meet the people who will support you after your purchase. Check out the new Caracal and see what the new design offers those who want a wider deck and go to the owners forum and read their reviews. I traded in my boat for a Cat at Rockwall Marine and could not be happier. Tommy and the team are the best!

Basscat Boat Owner
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606382 02/10/15 01:27 AM
slshaneus Offline
Angler
Angler
Talk to people that own one. Dont listen to hear say. I own a 2013 puma ftd....neches doesn't know what he is talking about on the hulls on a basscat, and they have a lifetime warranty with second to none customer service. I put all of my rods on one side and changed a few things because that's the way I like it on the deck. I duck hunt out of my boat, it sees plenty of stumps and I've had no problems.....any one else here duck hunt with their boats? Basscat Caracal is the way to go if you want a landing deck in the front...

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606408 02/10/15 01:39 AM
B
bassn5150 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
BassCat is a fine boat and company. The Puma and Cougar are top notch rides. The biggest problem you'll encounter asking a question like yours is, you'll get everyone's "opinion." Be fair to yourself, take an up close look at the brands you're interested in. Then take a ride in them. You can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned, but I am biased towards the Cat!

1993 Ranger 481v
1995 Mercury 175 EFI
Luck E Strike Lures
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606412 02/10/15 01:41 AM
Phil Addison Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I would take everything here with a grain a salt. I too suggest you go compare visually any boat that you have interest in and compare anything and everything including the trailers. I'm a long time BCB owner and have owned both boats that you are asking about. The biggest difference between the two are how the storage compartments are laid out. Both can run 80 if set up correctly and is one the driest and best riding boats on the market.

As far as the hull being weak and not made for stumps.......come on. Really? Lifetime warranty on hull to the initial owner and any subsequent owner. Vinyl ester resin (best on the market) and vacuum compressed hull (no air voids).

If you think the Puma FTD and the Cougar FTD front decks aren't wide enough, then check out a Caracal or Jaguar, Bass Cat's wide deck models. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to send me an IM. Good luck with finding a boat that fills your needs!

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606423 02/10/15 01:43 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Two boats I said I'd own... A Skeeter or a Basscat - I just put a deposit on Basscat Pantera 2. And no, I'm not changing my screen name! Lol!

Re: Basscat question [Re: Neches] #10606427 02/10/15 01:44 AM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Neches
Front decks on the Bass Cat are extremely narrow. Lay 4 rods on each side and you can not move. You are stuck in a little bitty spot right in the middle of the deck. The trolling motor foot pedal being up on the nose of the boat makes no sense at all. And I know the fan boys won;t agree with me, but the hulls are not very strong. And yes I have spent lots of time in a Bass Cat, but never another one. Bass Cat hull and stumps do not agree with each other. Take a measuring tape and measure the width of the front deck of a Bass Cat against any of the other major brands.

Holy Cow, not quite sure how to respond to such stupidity opinions.

Last edited by J.P. Greeson; 02/10/15 01:50 AM. Reason: please keep it civil
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606438 02/10/15 01:48 AM
Chuck Bumpilori Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Sir! I've owned a Pantera II, a 1992 model, 2 Jaguars, a Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 Racing motor, a Puma and 3 Puma's FTD's. To say the least, I don't think there is a better built boat on the market, with the Ranger being a close second. The performance models really aren't for everyone but contrary to what has been stated the front deck "is" bigger than what it appears and fish's quite well for my 6'2" frame as well as others who are a lot bigger than me. The Cougar and the Puma are basically the same boat/hull, just a different deck layout. I live on Lake of the Ozarks, no not a lot of stumps here but plenty of rough water when the tourist season warms up ... But if you want stumps, well we simply go to Truman Lake, a little Toledo Bend in the Ozarks, and I tell you that the Puma's and the Cougars will handle them with ease. Now that's not to say that one takes a running start to hit one, it happens occasionally, but I've seen that both the aforementioned boat will come out less bruised than a lot of others so don't let some one who hasn't owned one or been in one do your thinking for you. Your best bet is to get in one and see for yourself.
Good Luck,
Chuck

Chuck Bumpilori
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606457 02/10/15 01:51 AM
Jaguar6 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Pm sent

Old 18 Outfitters Pro Staff
Wicked Weights High Quality Tungsten Pro Staff
TH Marine Pro Staff
Fin Culture Fishing Apparel
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10606479 02/10/15 01:58 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: kiamichisooner
Guys, I'm in the new boat market and going up to a 20 footer (currently in an 18 foot Ranger). I posted the question to Triton owners earlier about their experiences with Triton boats. I've decided not go with that specific boat. The deal came up quick ad I really didn't want to do anything on impulse.

What are your experiences with Basscat; primarily the Puma FTD and Cougar FTD? What is the primary differences with the individual models? I appreciated the input from the Triton guys.

Thanks for the input in advance. I think i've narrowed it down to Basscat and the Legend V20. I am going to look at Phoenix also.

Out of curiosity which Triton boat did you look at and what made you decide not to buy one ? You can't go wrong with the two boats that you have mentioned, don't know much about the Bird boat but have heard some good things about it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Basscat question [Re: Neches] #10606508 02/10/15 02:07 AM
James Weir Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Neches

This is entirely false. All of it.

The difference between puma and cougar is the storage arrangements. Same hull if I'm not mistaken. Both are great boats. The fit and finish on bass cats are hard to beat. The only piece of plastic i found was the drain in the floor..if you were to buy one you would love it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide