Print Thread
San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101556 05/28/03 01:25 PM
J
just visitin' Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I will be attending the annual family reunion, this year in San Marcos, w/e of june 15. I see plenty of opportunities to fish but being a visitor I have no clue where to go and no money for a guide. I don't fly fish but own plenty of other fishing gear. Would gladly wade, tube, kayak, walk, whatever it takes. If any one could please just steer me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful. Any tips on tackle and baits would also be apprectiated.

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101557 05/28/03 03:55 PM
Rebbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Both the San Marcos and Guadalupe are clear, the San Marcos being almost gin clear at San Marcos. I haven't fished the San Marcos but I do know there are some nice smallmouth in it. The guadalupe has both LM and some SM. If you go with smaller lures and natural colors you ought to be fine. As far as locations, I very rarely do any river fishing so somebody else might be able to give you some locations.

It happened to the best of them: John 21:3

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101558 05/29/03 12:09 AM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
it might take a while, but walk till you see little slow parts of the river, a fallen tree or rock in fast current hold so much fish you couldnt imagine the get together that well. in slow waters, look for patches of weeding or places where it gets deep quickly (like an in water pothole) many fish hide there since there is more water around them acting as a security blanket for the fish, more space to run from. otherwise do as you would with salmon or trout. lures... its all on how you use them, some lures always work even if you cant use them, like worms for instance, they have so much movement themselves in a river that it wins by itself, grubs work well, aim for something small 2 inch body or less if possible and weigh it so it hits the bottom and becomes a craw or fish looking for food. use what you can, then you will find what the fish in that area are more interested in, and use that style. cause fish in rivers are sometimes very different from just transfering to another dam or junction, its just like switching to a whole new city for us, every river portion is different many times.

TEXAS FLY REPORT
"Home of the world famous Chicken Rodeo!"

JOIN the San Antonio Area Bank Fishing Group
Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101559 05/29/03 12:35 AM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
oh yeah, as for areas to fish on san marcos. try using a kayak or tube if possible, cause it gets deep most of the time. my friend told me [find or ask for a place called shady grove campgrounds, they got some rentals and pickup if you decide to travel down, along with other great stuff.] he doesnt know if its still up and running, cause he moved to dallas where all those other TFF geeks are.

i would say going south on 35 (as if going to san antonio) exit on 80 if you see 123 turn around!, go down for 5 miles i think, prolly more. then take a right on FM 1979. or if your in san marcos, find 123 which is south of san marcos (use as a marker) go north on 35 and follow the previous directions. 80 and 123 are really close together, as san marcos is small. dont forget 35 is the MAIN in and out for that city. any problems ask and possibly I or someone else can say something that makes more sense!ALSO you can keep going down 80 and right on 1977. OR keep going on 80 and take a right on 20. so in all, i know of 3 reasonable places but like i said, you really need a tube or kayak, canoe whatever floats. i could maybe tell you directions furter down the river but i want to still keep you in range of san marcos.

as for guad, there are too many places, as thats my home river, i could talk forever about it.

TEXAS FLY REPORT

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101560 05/29/03 01:40 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
In agreement with Kujo on those fallen logs - slow places etc. They are excellent spots to grab a few channels - I always had major success in the Guadalupe using bloodbait during the day for channels and live perch at night for flatheads. Be forwarned...there are some monster opps. in the Gaudalupe.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101561 05/29/03 06:30 PM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
they can become pretty mean, kinda like you already hooked its lips with your floating minnow, even though you only glanced at it.

TEXAS FLY REPORT

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101562 05/30/03 01:23 PM
J
just visitin' Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thanks for the input so far. One other question. Are these rivers so cold that I would need some waders? Or would shorts and tennis shoes work ok to float with?

I have some waders for duck hunting but I think they would be just a little bit too heavy duty for June.

Thanks again.

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101563 05/30/03 06:16 PM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
the water is good, might take a while to get used to, but not freezing

TEXAS FLY REPORT

Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101564 05/30/03 06:44 PM
texcajun Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
The further you get downstream from Canyon Lake Dam in Sattler the warmer the water. The kids and I were about 3 miles downstream from Sattler on Mem Day weekend and the water was cold but managable without waders. Since I had the kids and wife along, I only managed to fish maybe 1 hour total but I caught 1 nice 2# smallmouth on a 1/4 oz in line spinnerbait and lots of small perch.

2002 Scandy White, 2002 Yamaha 90
Point me towards the water!
Re: San Marcos/Guadalupe where to fish? #101565 06/01/03 04:43 PM
K
KUJO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
perch on spinners.... even tho i fish for perch, i never seemed how they go for spinners, maybe i just need to buy some more to start. ya north of canyon the water is good, but like he said, after canyon, its chilly, since the speed of the water and the amount, causes the water to lose heat energy transfering to rocks, ground and air. thus, giving you chillllllllly water that even trout can live in for 3 years in texas!

TEXAS FLY REPORT

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide