Page 1 of 2 1 2
Belton Zebra Mussels #10011288 05/25/14 01:23 PM
B
big10 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Was fishing belton yesterday and hung an anchor on something. I gave it a good pull and pulled this up.

This makes the 2nd time in 2 trips I have pulled up a stick covered in them

I also saw this on my graph. Normally my images of timber are much more crisp and clear. Maybe a tree covered in mussels?

Jerry Dillard
Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10011561 05/25/14 04:17 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Got a pond that needs a good zebra mussel cleaning?

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10011866 05/25/14 08:56 PM
Lucas Loafman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Yikes...wonder if that's why the crappie fishing has gotten worse the last couple of years now.

What area were you at?

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10012072 05/25/14 10:58 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
it will probably take a few years , once the population is signifigant enough to filter enough plankton and nutrients out of the water to affect the shad population. Then it will likley be like stillhouse. Clear, clean, and very sparce fish populations.
Between the droughts, the lack of interest from the TPWD to stock, and now mussles, it is not looking good at all.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10012437 05/26/14 01:36 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Hey Leaning Post, I have no earthly idea of how zebra mussels will impact crappie fishing. Just curious about how they impacted Ray Roberts and Texoma. I know the hydrilla is mostly gone on Ray Roberts now but don't know if it had anything to do with zebra mussels. Wonder what invasive species we'll see next?

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10012626 05/26/14 03:04 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator
Hey Leaning Post, I have no earthly idea of how zebra mussels will impact crappie fishing. Just curious about how they impacted Ray Roberts and Texoma. I know the hydrilla is mostly gone on Ray Roberts now but don't know if it had anything to do with zebra mussels. Wonder what invasive species we'll see next?

Ok Piscatur, I have a question...on the coast everyone deals with barnacles (?) or some such mussel...is that the same thing as Zebra Mussels? If so, doesn't that mean that all the oceans are infected?

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10013478 05/26/14 04:14 PM
Lucas Loafman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I read some mixed reviews on the impact, though the ultimate tilt was definitely negative. Said that smallmouth bass and crawfish eat them...lets stock more of each!

With the clearer water it does allow more algae and grass to grow. Thus, Belton could easily go grass heavy like Stillhouse once was and has been trying to again. SH had to have the grass as there is sparse cover otherwise. I was real frustrated trying to scout the lake for crappie spots and couldn't believe my searches came up with nothing on the SI. Turns out the SI didn't lie as when the lake dropped 17 feet there literally was not cover to speak of in many places.

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10013578 05/26/14 04:53 PM
K
kimbocdp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
There is some hope, Killing Zebra Mussels

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Let the good times roll!
Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10014498 05/27/14 12:11 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
When there is only one provider of a product or service or when one company controls an industry (control of market supply)competition does not exist and it is called a monopoly. The whole ecosystem disruption argument pales in comparison to the clogged water intakes of municipalities. It is for this reason alone that there is a slow reaction to and limited scope of imagination applied to the problem with zebra mussels.

Funny how the rest of the world including the oceanside populous of the United States can innovate, overcome and adapt to the problem with salt water corrosion and barnacles (as mentioned by crapicat) yet we (anglers) are called upon to bear the responsibility of control of the spread of an invasive species.

Has the water supply from Texoma, Ray Roberts and Lavon become devastated, unusable or has its use become economically unfeasible? That is only part of the equation. A monopoly is slow to react and often unwilling to address true cost control solutions. It is easier for a monopoly to dictate to its consumers how the consumer will respond to the needs of the monopoly.

As for the fate of phytoplankton and its relation to fisheries resources that remains to be seen. Is St. Clair a desert wasteland void of aquatic life? Is Texoma, Ray Roberts or Lavon? I'm all for helping to slow the spread of zebra mussels and will do my part. I'm also in favor of the idea of stocking smallmouth bass (if indeed they eat zebra mussels). But lets be real. The issue is clogged water intakes and the associated cost. What should be considered is what would a for profit business faced with numerous competitors do if they had the same problem?

In the mean time: "Wash your boat and trailer at a commercial carwash using high pressure and hot (140-degree) soapy water...and when the water from the carwash goes through a waste water treatment plant the process should kill any remaining mussels."

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10015781 05/27/14 03:38 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
so true PNSP .....
and never mind the droves a water birds carrying them to and fro ......... bang

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10016031 05/27/14 05:22 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
When there is only one provider of a product or service or when one company controls an industry (control of market supply)competition does not exist and it is called a monopoly. The whole ecosystem disruption argument pales in comparison to the clogged water intakes of municipalities. It is for this reason alone that there is a slow reaction to and limited scope of imagination applied to the problem with zebra mussels.

Funny how the rest of the world including the oceanside populous of the United States can innovate, overcome and adapt to the problem with salt water corrosion and barnacles (as mentioned by crapicat) yet we (anglers) are called upon to bear the responsibility of control of the spread of an invasive species.

Has the water supply from Texoma, Ray Roberts and Lavon become devastated, unusable or has its use become economically unfeasible? That is only part of the equation. A monopoly is slow to react and often unwilling to address true cost control solutions. It is easier for a monopoly to dictate to its consumers how the consumer will respond to the needs of the monopoly.

As for the fate of phytoplankton and its relation to fisheries resources that remains to be seen. Is St. Clair a desert wasteland void of aquatic life? Is Texoma, Ray Roberts or Lavon? I'm all for helping to slow the spread of zebra mussels and will do my part. I'm also in favor of the idea of stocking smallmouth bass (if indeed they eat zebra mussels). But lets be real. The issue is clogged water intakes and the associated cost. What should be considered is what would a for profit business faced with numerous competitors do if they had the same problem?

In the mean time: "Wash your boat and trailer at a commercial carwash using high pressure and hot (140-degree) soapy water...and when the water from the carwash goes through a waste water treatment plant the process should kill any remaining mussels."

good point and you know what will be next? an increase in fishing license fees to try and (educate) sportsman. They try to make everything the citizens problem, when its the govts problem, that affects the citizen.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10016198 05/27/14 06:14 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
The government does not have any money that does not come from the people. If governments at any level raised taxes to combat this problem, a large majority would be screaming about tax increases.

So if user fees such as boat registration and fishing licenses are increased to pay to combat the problem, fewer people are screaming about their taxes being increased and the politicians are happier. After all, boat and jet skis are luxuriant items, not owned by the average city tax payer.

It could get much worse. Most reservoirs are primarily for the water needs of the cities and surrounding areas, not for recreation use such as boating or fishing.

I have lived in areas where boats, jet skis, etc. were not allowed on the reservoir that provided drinking water to communities. The only fishing allowed was bank fishing.

So if there are compliance problems by boaters the politicians could decide to ban all boats, etc. from the reservoirs. They could use this measure to prove to the non-boat owning public how they were fighting the spread of this problem to local water sources. While this would make anglers and the recreation boat industry unhappy, that is a small percentage of the overall population.

Sometimes it is better to comply than fight. frown

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10017598 05/28/14 02:52 AM
A
angler management Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A

the fishing on texoma for all species has been lights out....except for crappie. I doubt it has been because of the zebra mussel. the water from highport around to little mineral, Eisenhower and to the dam has always been really clear. I think the problem with the crappie has been the speed with which the lake level dropped, but I'm not sure. in 30 years of fishing at texoma for crappie, the last 5 years have been the best ever. zebra mussel coincidence? I doubt it would have mattered either way, but this past winter was out of character.

Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10018711 05/28/14 04:37 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I want be fishing that lake ..

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Belton Zebra Mussels [Re: big10] #10036973 06/04/14 05:00 PM
B
badfishxD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
The only way to help keep Zebra Muscles in check is to introduce Gobies into the lakes. Gobies eat 60-80 Zebra muscles a day. They have them in the great lakes, that is why smallies are huge up there. I have seen pics of Zebra Muscles on crawfish. They completely cover them and eventually kill them. I don't believe parks and wildlife dept. will ever introduce Gobies into the lakes though. They are too worried about native fish getting preyed on by the Gobies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide